Melvins Tel Aviv 07 EMEK

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:12 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Melvins Tel Aviv 07 EMEK

steraser
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:13 pm

yes, I will have one please! 8)
macc5
EB Team

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:15 pm

steraser wrote:yes, I will have one please! 8)
very nice! :D
dougr
Site Admin

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 pm

wow, beautiful!!
smoove_b
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 pm

Backstory from Emek's site:

silver ink & Colors on Black Paper

The Chamsa, hand of G-D, the ancient Evil Eye Talisman, an ancient symbol of the middle east region, still used to this day by both sides of the conflict as protection from Evil... here punkrockified by EMEK

In recent years activists for Middle East peace have chosen to wear the hamsa as a symbol of the similarities of origins and tradition between the Islamic and Jewish faiths- a very controversial idea to many of the older generation.

text reads: For the First time in Israel, friday night in Tel Aviv at Club Barby the Melvins

(and some other "stuff")

13" x 23"

The Hamsa or Khamsa -literally "five" in Hebrew. An alternative Islamic name for this charm is the Hand of Fatima or Eye of Fatima, in reference to Fatima Zahra, the daughter of Muhammed. An alternative Jewish name for it is the Hand of Miriam, in reference to Miriam, the sister of Moses and Aaron as well as the Hamesh Hand. It serves as an ancient talismanic way of averting and getting protection from the evil eye, or more generally of providing a "protecting hand" or the "Hand of G-d". It appears, often in stylised form, as a hand with three fingers raised, and sometimes with two thumbs arranged symmetrically. The symbol is used in amulets, charms, jewelry, door entrances, cars, and other places to ward the evil eye.
Some sources link the significance of the five fingers to the five books of the Torah, part of the Jewish Tanach, or to the Five Pillars of Islam, the core principles of Sunni Islamic faith. This significance may have been attributed after the fact, as considerable archaeological evidence suggests that the hamsa hand predates both religions.

The symbol holds some significance for many Muslims, particularly in the Maghreb, including Egypt, Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia where it can be readily found in Arab markets. The Hamsa is a talisman to protect against the evil eye. In Egypt it is very widespread, and often painted on the fronts of homes, and into the Middle East, and into India and Pakistan. The Hamsa is widely believed to predate Islam. The symbol is assumed to be previously used in Punic religion, where it was associated with Tanit. Hamsa plaques, usually made of turquoise colored pottery, are readily found in modern Egypt.
Rev.Mike
Flipper

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:17 pm

his best poster so far this year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Rev.Mike wrote:his best poster so far this year.
Other than the Decemberists of course. :D
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:21 pm

If I get one of these, I'll need to have my Israeli friend translate the rest of the Hebrew text, unless someone on these boards can translate.
coxgt
Art Expert

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:23 pm

Codeblue wrote:If I get one of these, I'll need to have my Israeli friend translate the rest of the Hebrew text, unless someone on these boards can translate.
too early for pjtaper jokes?
NEVER DEAL WITH TOM MINARCHICK!(aka, fuedalist_tart on EBAY. HE IS A SCAM ARTIST.PM IF YOU NEED DETAILS.
Codeblue wrote:Taper has finally jumped the shark.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:23 pm

coxgt wrote:
Codeblue wrote:If I get one of these, I'll need to have my Israeli friend translate the rest of the Hebrew text, unless someone on these boards can translate.
Never
TheRedOne
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:24 pm

coxgt wrote:
Never too early.
philaarts
Art Expert

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:26 pm

im not gonna stop hitting refresh.. when i get tired i adopted a kid from china to do it.
the new posters added to our site = www.philaarts.blogspot.com

our site= www.philaarts.com

our team= www.philadelphiaeagles.com
tj
Art Expert

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:28 pm

i just set a book on my f5 key. lets see his site handle THAT. seeya, emeks website.
philaarts
Art Expert

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:36 pm

i just emailed emek in full hewbrew saying how AWESOME it is.. now he will have to send me one... cause i tried harder!!!!
the new posters added to our site = www.philaarts.blogspot.com

our site= www.philaarts.com

our team= www.philadelphiaeagles.com