Mimic 12 Shaw

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 am

This topic is dedicated to: Mimic 12 Shaw

acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:49 am

crazy part is that I think after all that was dropped over the past weekend, this is my favorite.

such an underrated film. I never got to see the unrated though.
Danchbosky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 am

The unrated director's cut is an improvement, but Del Toro says in the blu-ray interviews that--still--it's not the movie he wanted to make. Also, his unrealized ending would have improved it leaps and bounds over the studio's preferred "explosion" ending. I enjoy Mimic, but I can no longer watch it without a sense of disappointment for what could have been had Del Toro been given more control.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 am

Danchbosky wrote:The unrated director's cut is an improvement, but Del Toro says in the blu-ray interviews that--still--it's not the movie he wanted to make. Also, his unrealized ending would have improved it leaps and bounds over the studio's preferred "explosion" ending. I enjoy Mimic, but I can no longer watch it without a sense of disappointment for what could have been had Del Toro been given more control.
Yea i heard about that too. He was really pissed with the Weinsteins (I think?).

I used to live in my video store when I was younger and would rent this all the time. This and the Relic. I remember the VHS looking exactly like Phantoms.

Edit:

Funny how I can't remember fudge but I can remember this

Danchbosky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 am

acidburn wrote:I used to live in my video store when I was younger and would rent this all the time. This and the Relic.
Same. And Species.

And I think even they both followed suit to Scream. I remember for years every horror/thriller home video cover "mimicked" the same formula, beginning with Scream. I'd like to hold Scream personally responsible for the "floating heads" phenomenon, a chain of lazy movie art that never ends.

Image Image Image Image

Even cover art with an ounce of effort put into it is now standard practice to recycle these days...

acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 am

Danchbosky wrote:
acidburn wrote:I used to live in my video store when I was younger and would rent this all the time. This and the Relic.
Same. And Species.

And yeah, but I think even they both followed suit to Scream. I remember for years every horror/thriller home video cover looked exactly the same, starting with Scream. I'd like to hold Scream personally responsible for the "floating heads" phenomenon, a chain of lazy movie art that never ends.

Image Image Image Image

Even the cover art with an ounce of effort put into it is now standard practice to recycle these days...

haha congrats on being the only person to ever mention the Curve. Thought I was the only one that seen it. The only thing I can remember of that movie was Keri Russell going down on Matthew Lillard while the dude was in the closet

And the From Dusk Till Dawn, all looked the same. I remember being really excited for that trilogy.

ah the VHS days.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:32 am

Dont forget these 2 from the 90s.
fac.jpg
PhantomsBox.jpg
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
Danchbosky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 am

I've never actually seen The Curve in it's entirety. A friend's parents used to own a little Ma & Pop video store/sub shop, and they'd get screener VHS's in from distributors, so we'd see a lot of stuff a few weeks early. However, The Curve screener was incomplete. Just before the "bad guy" was revealed and he stepped out of the darkness to reveal his face, the movie stopped and on the screen read something along the lines of "if you want to see the exciting conclusion to so-and-so's The Curve, order copies now for you video store rental location, etc etc."

We were all pissed. Never saw the rest.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 am

Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film. New York: Simon & Schuster.

Details the drama between Del Toro & the Weinsteins. Mira Sorvino had to fight to keep him on the film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:48 am

Danchbosky wrote:I've never actually seen The Curve in it's entirety. A friend's parents used to own a little Ma & Pop video store/sub shop, and they'd get screener VHS's in from distributors, so we'd see a lot of stuff a few weeks early. However, The Curve screener was incomplete. Just before the "bad guy" was revealed and he stepped out of the darkness to reveal his face, the movie stopped and on the screen read something along the lines of "if you want to see the exciting conclusion to so-and-so's The Curve, order copies now for you video store rental location, etc etc."

We were all pissed. Never saw the rest.

hahahaha thats terrible. The killer was Matthew Lillard. The whole plan was against him and he ended up falling off the cliff.

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0000599/ - The company behind The Curve. Impressive list of movies.

Ill def check out that book Rubber. Just gotta finish GOT 3. And I've always been warm to the Faculty. That, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Hackers
were the only films I ever bought soundtracks too.
SaintNoir
Art Expert

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Thread got taken over. I really like the art. Think it is a great image and would look good on the wall. Looks a bit scholarly... which I like for the subject matter (schlocky). I ordered one. :P
Inigo Montoya: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
cinematical
Art Expert

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Yet again, Jay does great work with such simple designs.
caseyg1986
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:14 pm

This was my grail from the con. I had no idea they were going to do a print for Mimic (after shooting it down in the original press release), but I couldn't be happier that they did. :clap:
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Reminds me of an Audubon. Nicely done.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:03 pm

This is some of IJ's best work IMO, can't wait to see it in person.

Edit: Landed today from the PB and the colors are sooo rich and textured in person, I absolutely love this!
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH