MLB 2018

An arena for athletics. Post lifetime is 1 year.
fredo
Art God

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Solid analysis,Jim.
just a foil for me today, thanks
fredo
Art God

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:01 am

fredo wrote:Image
desch
Art Expert

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:23 am

desch wrote:
pewter14 wrote:It honestly feels like the Astros should have beaten the Red Sox by 400 runs tonight.

If the Sox win this series, I'll be stunned.

Happy to be the 108 win underdog.
Right? That bullpen is atrocious and Sale not throwing strikes is a recipe for failure. And now Price against Cole ...the Astros may win by 400 tonight. Maybe Porcello and Eovaldi will have more success in Houston... :lol:

Well I’d rather lose to Houston than New York.
Screw you desch, you’re an idiot! WooHoo!
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:16 am

Not too surprised Boston won. Surprised Houston lost 4 straight and 3 of them at home.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:42 am

Royal chokearoo for Houston. MLB must be salivating at the prospect of LA v Boston (though they'd obviously rather have LA v NY).
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
fredo
Art God

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:21 pm

Go Sox!
fredo wrote: Joe Buck is the worst drymounting thing in the history of sports, including astroturf. #hatehatehate
desch
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 am

fredo wrote:Go Sox!
fredo wrote: Joe Buck is the worst drymounting thing in the history of sports, including astroturf. #hatehatehate
Will never forgive him and McCarver blathering on about A-Rod's new contract for most of game 4 of the '07 Series. Glad in real-time I was at the game and didn't hear all that crap until I watched the replay later. Thank goodness those DVDs have the radio, audio track to listen to.

The World Series would be better without John Smoltz
Well, at least Smoltz isn’t paired with fellow curmudgeon Bob Costas during the World Series.
https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/10/24 ... -the-young
Smoltz complains about excessive celebrations, which for him is any celebration beyond a stoic nod or reserved fist pump. He complains about shifts. He came up with various ways to discredit Matt Kemp for hitting a homer early in Game 1 by saying that some other hits the Dodgers had were good examples of good hitting, while Kemp was simply lucky for being good enough to capitalize on a mistake by hitting a home run off of Chris Sale, who by the way just does not give up home runs. Grudges carried across innings that didn’t make sense when they started, and God help us all if Fox shows a replay of something that annoyed him earlier.
Remember Dennis Eckersley’s genuine, impossible-to-contain enthusiasm during the ALDS? Remember David Cone’s run this postseason as a former MLB starter who knew how to talk about the game? I get that television network contracts are a thing so Fox can’t just use whoever does a good job for TBS or MLB, but it’s just a reminder that it doesn’t have to be Smoltz during the World Series.
Smoltz isn't too far behind. Reminds me of the 'excitement' Jim Palmer brought to the '86 ALCS when the Sox made that incredible comeback against the Angels (don't believe me? watch a youtube video of game 5 in the ninth inning); thank god for Al Michaels being in the booth. Smoltz makes any exciting baseball playoff game so compelling as watching paint dry. Granted, the first 2 games weren't exactly world series classics, but listening to Smoltz took any drama away that might've existed in those two games.

Also, calling Barnes, Hembree twice? The only time he impressed me was when he barely got the words "He's a great bad ball hitter" out of his mouth and Nunez went bridge on a pitch at his shoelaces.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Glad we are back.

To quote the great Frank Burns from M*A*S*H*: "Margaret, I was wrong . . . "
Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
turnJBup
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:15 pm

If you have a problem with Smoltz, you must have forgotten all about McCarver.
desch
Art Expert

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:08 pm

turnJBup wrote:If you have a problem with Smoltz, you must have forgotten all about McCarver.
I’m assuming you’re referring to me...; I mention McCarver and Buck in the first part of my post. I definitely did not like McCarver when he was in the booth. Can’t get that stupid “Wily as a wolverine” comment about Pedro Martinez out of my head. But Smoltz as well as Buck are now in the booth unlike McCarver, so not much to say about ole Tim now.
meskell
Art Expert

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:19 am

Roberts needs a defensive coordinator. He shouldn't be allowed to call the plays.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
desch
Art Expert

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 am

Love that Dirty Water...
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 am

Man, if you're a teenage from Boston you've pretty much partied balls every year between the Big 4 when it comes to Championships. drymountin' impressive! :clap:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
Image THC X 8
desch
Art Expert

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 am

Well I’m a bit older than that so those 4 series wins are pretty special. My pain started in ‘78, was very acute in ‘86 and suffered through purgatory for almost another 20 years. Pretty sweet to be a fan of Boston teams for the last 18 years or so.

I will say that I think L A needs to get away from being a slave to analytics so much. Bellinger and Muncy were on the bench way too much in the Series.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:38 am

I could see the pain run deep; from Buckner to Fisk to Yaz to Williams. BUT, man, talk about turning heartache into a dynasty :notworthy:
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
Image THC X 8