The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 14 Ching

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:03 pm

This topic is dedicated to: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz 14 Ching

jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:05 pm

This is some beautiful work.

If this was strictly a movie poster, I'd have to say "Pass", but these aren't just posters. They are book covers too.

The detail is really great!

Great job Tracie Ching!
Most of what you read on the internet is not true....signed Abraham Lincoln
haven
Art Expert

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Am I missing it, or is the word Oz not on this poster?
WhoLikesRingo
Art Expert

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:12 pm

haven wrote:Am I missing it, or is the word Oz not on this poster?
THe scene is the O and at the bottom of the circle is the Z
haven
Art Expert

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:13 pm

Aha, thanks.
jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:57 am

WhoLikesRingo wrote:
haven wrote:Am I missing it, or is the word Oz not on this poster?
THe scene is the O and at the bottom of the circle is the Z
After I found the O, I looked for some Zs too.
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:02 pm

I've gone through all of these now and the black variant is absolutely the way to go. These need to be embossed on black leather book covers.
I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.
OddKid
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:34 am

:drool: These are stunning, I really like the black and gold variant.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:06 am

First Taylor, now Durieux... Maybe next month Tracie can do Horkey. :hanging:
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:14 pm

Any artist would be proud to be associated with those artists.

Some artists that have the same style all of the time start getting really old. Varying your style only shows talent.
OddKid
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:50 pm

jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:Any artist would be proud to be associated with those artists.

Some artists that have the same style all of the time start getting really old. Varying your style only shows talent.
I can't see a problem with having the ability to do all these styles either. She has lots of talent and thats that!
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm

Yes varying composition or conceptual elements keeps a artists work fresh and even breaking into different mediums like Randy Ortiz. And look at Horkey, same style but different compositions and each piece feels different and new. But COPYING someone's style is something no professional artist should do. Tracie first tried mimicing Taylor and Ansin, and when the kitchen got hot, she moved on to Laurent...and I do not think he is too amused about it after a comment was made by him on a piece that looked like tracies "resembling me, oh must be tracie Ching" or something to that effect. Finding your own style is so important. I really think in this digital age, people think it soooooo easy just to go out and do this kind of work. Budlich got the fudge knocked out of him here and now finally he has his own style, I don't like it, but it is his. When you see it, you say, oh that's budlich... this doesnt happen with Ching.
jeffreyjonesbsme
Art Expert

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:58 pm

As much as I like Durieux, he didn't invent Art Deco. He's rehashing it with new art. And it's great! Don't get me wrong.

The stuff Tracie has done for this show looks unique. I can't see a particular piece that makes me think "Oh, that's just a copy of ......."

For each his own.
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:03 pm

jeffreyjonesbsme wrote:As much as I like Durieux, he didn't invent Art Deco. He's rehashing it with new art. And it's great! Don't get me wrong.

The stuff Tracie has done for this show looks unique. I can't see a particular piece that makes me think "Oh, that's just a copy of ......."

For each his own.
No you right none of this pieces compositionally or conceptually make me say "thats just a copy..." and that is rare to say that anyway, unless it is Morkaut, but it is the look of them. But I do agree, to each his own. I want to see artists grow into their own. Tracie has the ability, just hasnt found her own path IMO. I will wait and watch and hope cause to squander talent is a shame.
time
Art Expert

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Agreed this is some beautiful work Tracie has put out for this and the rest or her show.

Although I like the color contrasts on the black/gold version, since this is Wizard of Oz - emerald city, etc. - the emerald version would make the most "sense" I would think.

Also, maybe it's just my imagination but it looks like the resolution in the pictures of the variant is higher (or the photos show more clear detail) than the regular so the regular may be more crisp/clear in person than these photos would suggest?
Last edited by time on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.