The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

More Amazon Prime found footage.

I see you: Can’t quite decide on this one. In some ways it’s standard found footage, but there are a couple twists in the third act that complicate what would otherwise be a pretty straightforward flick. Also, the last five minutes killed any good will the film had for me. I’d be interested to hear what other folks think.

Willow Creek: I remember seeing this when it first came out and feeling entirely underwhelmed. It’s not poorly made or particularly badly acted, but it just didn’t strike much of a chord with me. I gave this one another shot this week– since my feelings on first vs. repeat viewings of found footage can sometimes vary wildly– and I still just finding it mind-numbingly banal.

Char Man: Not the best acted film, but fun setup and enjoyable execution, for the most part. The plot centers on guys making a found footage movie investigating a fake legend, but they ultimately stumble upon something “real.” I’d definitely recommend this to folks who are looking for obscure found footage or for those who enjoy explorations of urban legend-style myths. The ending left quite a bit to be desired, however.

Kaos Brief: Some kids go into the woods, there’s some Blair Witch-ian buildup, and things start to go sideways quickly. Worth checking out, especially for fans of stacking objects. Unravels a bit in the end, and the wraparound segments are awful, but possibly worth checking out for fans of alien abduction found footage.

Dybbuk Box– The Story of Chris Chambers: With an aesthetic closer to a web series, this short paranormal story revolves around a haunted house– replete with all of the predictable clichés. I’ve seen worse, but the hourlong run time is the real saving grace on this thoroughly mediocre film. It’s little more than a string of things horror fans have seen before, but I’m always a sucker for a haunted object story.

72 Hour Horror Film Race: The concept is simple: teams of filmmakers have 72 hours to create a horror short. Think of it like a hackathon, but for horror. This thing is wildly uneven, but contains some gems (notably the first and final clips). I don’t necessarily recommend this one, but it’s still infinitely better than ABCs of Death.

Ghostumentary: Kinda-fun, behind-the-scenes sort of ghosthunting doc. Still has many of the same tropes of ghosthunting shows while also deconstructing and analyzing those tropes.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 pm

Just watched Suspiria '18 and thought it was fantastic. One thing though, there was something about the old man the bothered me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I find out it was actually Tilda Swinton :shock: . I guess that's cool but I can't help but wonder why they did that? I can't see that it added anything to the film and most of the time it was really distracting.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm

Watched "Green Inferno" last night. Pretty solid aside from the ending "message" or whatever.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Saw "Ma" this past weekend. Octavia Spencer gives a pretty great performance, but the rest of the movie was lacking. I'm hoping there's a slightly longer cut out there that adds a few scenes that help flesh out a few key moments and characters.

Also saw the "Scary Stories" doc on VOD and was thoroughly underwhelmed. As someone who loves those books, I wanted more about the art, more about the folklore, and more about the overall impact of the series.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:57 am

Brightburn was kinda predictable, but entertaining nontheless
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:09 am

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Saw "Ma" this past weekend. Octavia Spencer gives a pretty great performance, but the rest of the movie was lacking. I'm hoping there's a slightly longer cut out there that adds a few scenes that help flesh out a few key moments and characters.
That's disappointing. I'm seeing it later today.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:16 pm

sixstringer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 pm
Just watched Suspiria '18 and thought it was fantastic. One thing though, there was something about the old man the bothered me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Now I find out it was actually Tilda Swinton :shock: . I guess that's cool but I can't help but wonder why they did that? I can't see that it added anything to the film and most of the time it was really distracting.
She actually plays three roles in the film. My understanding is that Guadagnino wanted to unsettle the audience in some regard, and to reinforce the femininity of the world he was presenting (there are very few men in the film at all).

I watched Under the Shadow the other night, and damn, what an impressive horror film. Claustrophobic and genuinely unsettling in unexpected ways. There's a few jump scares (one that is purely ineffective), which I would usually cringe at, but they hit the right spot. Superb stuff.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:35 am

Irishman12 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:09 am
bmerwinsuwc wrote:Saw "Ma" this past weekend. Octavia Spencer gives a pretty great performance, but the rest of the movie was lacking. I'm hoping there's a slightly longer cut out there that adds a few scenes that help flesh out a few key moments and characters.
That's disappointing. I'm seeing it later today.
After seeing the movie, I agree with your review. Spencer gives a great performance, but the story felt soft. I'd classify the film more suspense than horror but that's just my opinion.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:49 am

Caught a few new movies the last couple days:

Child's Play (2019) - Being a big fan of the series I was pretty let down by this new offering of Chucky. I give them credit for trying to take the series in a completely new direction but I just don't think it is all that effective. This Chucky is more grounded in reality than he previously was as basically being a malfunctioning super smart robot toy. Also Aubrey Plaza as a single mom of a kid who's like 15? Maybe not the best casting choice. All in all I left the theater pretty underwhelmed. 3/10

Annabelle Comes Home - Being a big fan of the Conjuring universe I was really excited for this movie. I didn't have the highest expectations as the Annabelle movies in general seem to be hit or miss and never as good as the full fledged Conjuring movies. But I ended up really loving this movie. There wasn't any scene in particular that is truly horrifying or unforgettable in my eyes, but the movie as a whole is very creepy and tense. The pacing of the movie and the tension in every scene is just great and made for a really fun entry into the Conjuring universe. 8/10

Really excited for Midsommar next week as well as some other horror films due to come out in the coming months. 2019 has been a pretty great year for horror movies so far!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:21 pm

bmd1191 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:49 am
Caught a few new movies the last couple days:

Child's Play (2019) - Being a big fan of the series I was pretty let down by this new offering of Chucky. I give them credit for trying to take the series in a completely new direction but I just don't think it is all that effective. This Chucky is more grounded in reality than he previously was as basically being a malfunctioning super smart robot toy. Also Aubrey Plaza as a single mom of a kid who's like 15? Maybe not the best casting choice. All in all I left the theater pretty underwhelmed. 3/10

Annabelle Comes Home - Being a big fan of the Conjuring universe I was really excited for this movie. I didn't have the highest expectations as the Annabelle movies in general seem to be hit or miss and never as good as the full fledged Conjuring movies. But I ended up really loving this movie. There wasn't any scene in particular that is truly horrifying or unforgettable in my eyes, but the movie as a whole is very creepy and tense. The pacing of the movie and the tension in every scene is just great and made for a really fun entry into the Conjuring universe. 8/10

Really excited for Midsommar next week as well as some other horror films due to come out in the coming months. 2019 has been a pretty great year for horror movies so far!
Nice recaps. I agree with you on CHILD'S PLAY. I wasn't a fan either. I watched the first couple growing up and was never attached to the series so a remake didn't bother me as much, but yes, they dropped the ball on this one.

I'm seeing ANNABELLE COMES HOME later today. I really enjoyed the two CONJURING films (looking forward to the third as well) but both ANNABELLE movies plus THE NUN have done nothing for me. I even rewatched both ANNABELLE films before going in to the third one tonight since I hadn't seen them since they debuted in theaters back in 2014 and 2017. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope I feel the same as well!

And yes, I'm really looking forward to MIDSOMMAR next week! I loved HEREDITARY and the buzz around this one has been nothing but positive. A little worried on the run time but I am looking forward to it.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am

hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:37 am

yes.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Finally catching up on some stuff and taking advantage of a new Shudder subscription:

Why Horror: fun but thoroughly unremarkable horror doc. There's clearly lots of passion leading this one, but not much of a story and a bit lacking, save for the director's passion.

Leviathan: pretty standard love-fest doc on Hellraiser. Some cool background info and interviews, but doesn't go all that deep into the film. Mostly, it made me want to watch a doc on Clive Barker.

Creating Modern Ghost Stories: The Blair Witch: Definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of the film. A bit slow, but some great insight from the director and various other folks behind the film. TBW is one of my favorite films, so I thought this was thoroughly entertaining, despite some issues with form and structure.

Found Footage 3D: Cool premise and a decent film, but I think my expectations were too high for this one. The film is brilliant when it's openly deconstructing found footage, and there are some excellent moments, but nothing spectacular.

We Go On: There are some strong "Sixth Sense" vibes running through this one, and it's much more of a drama than a horror film, but I really enjoyed this. Definitely recommend this if you like a psychological slow burn.

Monster Party: The best moments from this film are a lot like a highlight reel of better horror movies. Cool premise with little payoff and the constant reminders of much better movies is maddening throughout.

Hell House 2: I really enjoyed Hell House LLC, so this was a particular letdown. It has a few nice moments, but the acting is distractingly bad and there's not nearly enough creepiness or scares. They also try to flesh out the mythology of the first film, but it comes across like a tacked-on afterthought.

You Might Be the Killer: Interesting premise, and some nice moments, but not nearly as good as I was expecting. Has some decent meta moments, but a bit light for me. Then again, I'll also happily watch anything with Alyson Hannigan in it, so there's that.

Into the Forest: Forgettable, predictable found footage ghost-in-woods story.

Final Prayer: Definitely enjoyed this one, despite some flaws. Well made, well written, and decently acted found footage with some well constructed creepiness. If you can track it down and like religious horror and/or found footage, I recommend checking it out.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Caight "Ready or Not" this morning and really enjoyed it. It was well made, a lot of fun, and had some surprisingly excellent gore. It also definitely gives some "You're Next" vibes, but that's a good thing in my book. Definitely recommended.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:26 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:19 pm
Caight "Ready or Not" this morning and really enjoyed it. It was well made, a lot of fun, and had some surprisingly excellent gore. It also definitely gives some "You're Next" vibes, but that's a good thing in my book. Definitely recommended.
I enjoyed it as well. More than I thought actually. Entertaining, not stale and I got a I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE/KILL BILL kinda vibe with the bride. But a fun ride and I'll check it out again when it gets released on Blu-Ray.