Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Olto wrote:
Tservo wrote:I do like the Akira print, just can't justify spending that much on a poster that's not Detritus, WBG Steel Gray, or Nesting. I like Stout but not at those prices. Hopefully this one comes down in the future, but with so few of them available I'd be very surprised if it did.

I just pulled the trigger on one at a pretty high price. 180 run, only sold there, signed by Tyler, special event, etc. -- add that all up and I don't see this coming down at any time in the future. Looking at Kill Bill validated that for me. The prices are maybe leveling off in the most generous interpretation, and that has a run 3x the size of this. Yes, maybe more popular. If you're a Stout collector, this might end up becoming one of the more difficult prints to get given the limited nature of its release and the extraordinarily small run size. I'd jump on now before these get stored in flat files / framed and only a few are on the market per year.
$825?

The ones with bids are getting up there. $710 so far.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
busstees
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:02 pm

catchalltheprints wrote:
FlapJack wrote:Sure does make all of the silliness on the day of the MMM tix drop seem worth it though, for those who scored ...

That event sold out in a blink, which I thought was roughly 100 seats. It sounded like they moved to a bigger theater, increased the print run size, yet they only let a handful of standbys got in? I'm honestly a bit confused on how the math on that worked out.

Yeah all the information about this release was so skewed. I called Mondo and they said the showing was SOLD OUT, then it turns out they let people waiting in?

:hanging:

If I knew they were letting people in who didn't have tickets, I would have rushed out there.

How is that even right?
Maybe some out of towners that bought tickets didn't show up. That is how standy people would have got in. I'm out of town, but I found a ticket buddy to give my tickets to. I'm sure a lot of other out of towners got scared off by the credit card being required part.
clem99
EB Team

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 pm

JustinIshmael wrote:He didn't copy/paste stuff from existing pieces of art, as far as I know. And, he did it in like a week or something insane like that.
what prompted this comment to begin with
art is the only justification for pain :)
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:04 pm

catchalltheprints wrote:
FlapJack wrote:Sure does make all of the silliness on the day of the MMM tix drop seem worth it though, for those who scored ...

That event sold out in a blink, which I thought was roughly 100 seats. It sounded like they moved to a bigger theater, increased the print run size, yet they only let a handful of standbys got in? I'm honestly a bit confused on how the math on that worked out.

Yeah all the information about this release was so skewed. I called Mondo and they said the showing was SOLD OUT, then it turns out they let people waiting in?

If I knew they were letting people in who didn't have tickets, I would have rushed out there.

How is that even right?
I'm not saying anything isn't right - it didn't seem like they knew for sure which theater (and seating capacity) it would be in initially. More power to those dedicated souls like emac and David who missed the presale but waited in the standby line. I'm glad they made it in.

I'm not sure if it was announced or not whether the standby's had a chance ... but it sounds like only 6 folks got in. So not a lot, and probably many turned away.
Last edited by FlapJack on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catchalltheprints
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:05 pm

alngtheway wrote:
catchalltheprints wrote:

Yeah all the information about this release was so skewed. I called Mondo and they said it was SOLD OUT, then it turns out they let people waiting in?

How is that even right?
It was sold out. But if people don't show up and there are open seats, then they let people who were waiting in. At least I assume that's how it went down since I wasn't there. Don't see what the problem with that is.

Ever gone on standby for a flight? Same concept.

They didn't say ANYTHING about letting people in without tickets or selling available seats that may or may not arise. They specfically said there are some people waiting for scalpers, giving me the impression that unless you have a hard copy of the ticket you aren't getting in.

OTHERWSIE WHY WOULD THEY MENTION SCALPERS, are you telling me they were scalping the extra seats?

I missed the presale too and If I knew I could just wait there all day to get a seat I would have been there since the morning. That's really shotty business to let people in without tickets in. You guys aren't even putting the rest of the prints up for sale locally or online, this isn't dvds, these are prints, You guys are just driving the aftermarket price of these prints to a point where it's unobtainable for regular collectors.

These unsold prints, how are we sure that the employees aren't just flipping these on the aftermarket and just screwing us collectors?
Last edited by catchalltheprints on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
desch
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:07 pm

clem99 wrote:
JustinIshmael wrote:He didn't copy/paste stuff from existing pieces of art, as far as I know. And, he did it in like a week or something insane like that.
Earlier in the thread someone asked if it was cut/pasted. Can't remember exact question or page number.
Last edited by desch on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
busstees
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Did you sign up for this forum just to come complain about this release?

I'm guessing some people WITH tickets got offered money for their tickets and they sold their tickets. What is so crazy about that?

Welcome to the board.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Jon1701 wrote:
camaroz06 wrote:the variant is much nicer.
Just like on most Stout prints, i disagree. The regular with the "real" colors looks better to me.
LLA
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 pm

catchalltheprints wrote:

How is that even right?
There is usually a standby line for cancellations at Alamo's screenings. Just remember this in the future that you can possibly get in on standby for any of the events that Alamo puts on. It doesn't guarantee entry and even those in the standby line had to wait quite awhile to get in or possibly get turned away. It's just a matter of your dedication towards your event you want to be part of.
Spujo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:09 pm

clem99 wrote:

When it was revealed last night somebody mentioned it not being Stout's original artwork. I asked for a clarification if it was or was not. Justin responded.
Flimby

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 pm

no offense catchall, but personally i am glad emac and her husband got in. she "gets it".
again, mondo is in a no win i think. if they didn;t let people in, that seems wrong to me.
regardless, welcome to eb.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:11 pm

So was the end result that credit cards were not checked? Maybe I missed that in the last 50 pages of this thread.

If not, their server will probably melt for the next MMM ticket drop.
catchalltheprints
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:12 pm

LLA wrote:
catchalltheprints wrote:

How is that even right?
There is usually a standby line for cancellations at Alamo's screenings. Just remember this in the future that you can possibly get in on standby for any of the events that Alamo puts on. It doesn't guarantee entry and even those in the standby line had to wait quite awhile to get in or possibly get turned away. It's just a matter of your dedication towards your event you want to be part of.

Like I said, when I was on the phone, no one mentioned anything about a standby line, otherwise I would have been there instantly just for a shot at getting it anyways. They said they're waiting for scalpers selling tickets, again they didn't mention they were selling extra seats that may come up.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:16 pm

clem99 wrote:
I mentioned last night that if I did not know this was by Stout, that I would not believe it. I did not say it was a bad print, but besides the collage style and the dates on the border, it doesn't look like Stout's typical art. I think it looks nice, but not like a normal Stout. Not saying that is a bad thing. It is impressive how he was able to mimic the art. Really impressive.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:18 pm

catchalltheprints wrote: These unsold prints, how are we sure that the employees aren't just flipping these on the aftermarket and just screwing us collectors?
Are you drymounting joking?
Who the hell pointed the facebook donkeys to EB?!