Star Wars Set 10 Stout

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 pm

i feel both moss and stout will be robbed of poster of the year nominations by forcing voters to break up the sets. If that's the case, who knows if they will even be in the listings for the award.
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
LittleBlackieLaBeef
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Codeblue wrote:This place fell apart in 2007.
fixed yer wagon (though I'm partial to the original myself)
I don't' suppose you seen a man name of Tom Chaney...
Codeblue wrote:The little girl was great.
Oh Noez!
Codeblue wrote:This place is falling apart.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:06 am

gonzo303 wrote:Its pretty lame that you can't have a set that was sold to be a set nominated as AOTW.
they were also sold individually and there are several quotes in the Alamo Drafthouse poster thread were people express their preference of one print over the others...same goes for the Moss set. some bought a single because one poster appealed more to them (either the art or the movie itself). this is a trilogy not a tryptic.

I knew this wouldn't be an overwhelmingly popular decision by the team, but it address an issue we have had for a while.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:33 am

electrachrome wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:Its pretty lame that you can't have a set that was sold to be a set nominated as AOTW.
they were also sold individually and there are several quotes in the Alamo Drafthouse poster thread were people express their preference of one print over the others...same goes for the Moss set. some bought a single because one poster appealed more to them (either the art or the movie itself). this is a trilogy not a tryptic.

I knew this wouldn't be an overwhelmingly popular decision by the team, but it address an issue we have had for a while.
Fix every Fairey set then and every other one that is a set and can be nominated.
Same fudge, different drop.
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:50 am

charter wrote:
GR8Dane wrote:
charter wrote:
GR8Dane wrote:Lost posters will be less then face in the very near future.... Maybe the Moss & the Stout will hold some value, but the rest will be "LOST".

These new Mondo posters are in a different league.

850 is not a very big portion of the Star Wars fanatics out there.
The less popular ones yes. The more popular ones like Crash and Locke, no. I also don't think Dan's or Daniel's will ever dip back down to cost. They will remain at around what they are doing now. You will never see a $60 Locke or Crash on ebay. Same is said for this series. You will never see Stout or Olly sell for $150 on ebay but you will see some of the lesser popular ones, which a lot have already, sold at cost or just right above.
Talk to me in 2 years. You'll understand then.
So you think Dan, Daniel, Olly, or Eric's LOST prints will be face value in two years? We aren't talking about the second series...Jensen fugged up on that one. If Justin released a Star Wars print every day for a month and made every print a run of 550 then not all would have sold out.

Yes. The are LOST posters.... They will be gone and forgotten. Sorry to bust yer bubble. There will be many more, BETTER Dangers, McCarthy's and what not. These aint no Van Gogh or Picasso I'm sorry to tell you. To drive the point home face would be what the artist sold them for as well, correct? They aren't even reaching those numbers as we speak.
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:51 am

electrachrome wrote:
kj1nyr wrote:Changing subject.......

So, apparently I can't nominate sets of prints for AOTW? While both the Moss and Stout sets are awesome on an individual basis IMO they are greatest as a whole story told in the complete sets. How can I choose just one!?!?!?!?! I love ALL my babies! :cry:
this is correct. a decision was made by the EB curatorial team to create a new Set classification.
the individual prints are listed as posters and as such are each eligible for nomination for Art of the Week (and potentially Poster of the Year), but sets will not be eligible.

for several years there has been active debate about listing "sets" as an edition. this conflict most often came up with the Obey/Shepard Fairy releases. As a matter of accuracy there has been a concern that listing a set as a separate edition could be misconstrued as counting the total number of prints in existence twice. Sets are listed here solely for the convenience of tracking sales. The art of each piece of the set must stand on it's own (as far as EB awards go).
Understood, thanks, but though it's not exactly "Sophie's Choice" having to pick one to vote for feels like it takes away from the other two. Se la vie!
Sorry for stirring up another sh!t storm btw.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:37 am

electrachrome wrote:I knew this wouldn't be an overwhelmingly popular decision by the team, but it address an issue we have had for a while.
Explain.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:46 am

bysleightofhand wrote:i feel both moss and stout will be robbed of poster of the year nominations by forcing voters to break up the sets. If that's the case, who knows if they will even be in the listings for the award.
Hmmmm, The best of olly's 3? I would say for me, return of the jedi. But I haven't received mine from olly yet so im going off jpegs.
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
lewis1
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:31 am

i think a lot of flippers might be up set in a few years and wish they would have hung on too these posters
edderlyj
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:01 am

lewis1 wrote:i think a lot of flippers might be up set in a few years and wish they would have hung on too these posters
unless they used the money to buy gold, sure.
Героям слава
SimpJee
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 am

electrachrome wrote:
As a matter of accuracy there has been a concern that listing a set as a separate edition could be misconstrued as counting the total number of prints in existence twice.
Are we talking about a technical issue here? I work with databases for a living and this should definitely not be a technical limitation of whatever DB you are using.
electrachrome wrote: Sets are listed here solely for the convenience of tracking sales. The art of each piece of the set must stand on it's own (as far as EB awards go).
Now this looks like something that could be argued, and as I mentioned in the thread in Art Discussion. Your users are smart enough to figure out that 1) If it's a set and one of the pieces stands out they can still choose the single item. 2) If they consider the set as something that can't stand alone in it's individual pieces they can vote for the set as a whole.

I hope you realise that appreciation of art is one of the most subjective things around, and I don't think your purpose here at EB is to dictate how a user sees a set of art. But that is essentially what you are doing, unless some technical issue is stopping you.

Note: I'm posting this in the Art Discussion forum in the Set or No Set thread as well since this is a bit off topic it looks like
ill
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:25 am

Does anyone buy things because they like them anymore? ...or even talk about things other than value? Art is about an artist sharing his/her vision with the rest of the world, not how much scrilla something you just bought is worth or how much it will be worth in the future. When things start to become commodities and overly-commercialized, they start losing their soul. This obsession of collecting things for value and their eventual transition into irrelevance has happened with numerous things throughout time. It's happened as far back as the dutch tulip craze, it's happened to gig posters, and it will happen with what mondo's doing with movie posters. More power to anyone that is making extra money off posters. I'm not one to try to attack capitalism, but realize that at a certain point when it tips to being only about the money, suddenly everyone collectively realizes that no one really bought these things except for their expected intrinsic value, and well... it doesn't take a genius to see what happens then.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Hey look who it is!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
desch
Art Expert

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:45 pm

ill wrote:Does anyone buy things because they like them anymore?
Yep, I do.
“If we had had confidence that the president clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said so.”
“The Constitution requires a process other than the criminal justice system to formally accuse a sitting president of wrongdoing.” R. Mueller
SimpJee
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 pm

desch wrote:
ill wrote:Does anyone buy things because they like them anymore?
Yep, I do.
Same here ... haven't sold one of mine yet!