Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
ianpotter
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:17 pm

This is getting really boring. :hanging:
Justin, just give us a hint on the next drop and give us something else to talk about.
My guess - one drop on Wednesday and one on Friday so we're all done and dusted before Xmas.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Olto wrote:
ETC ETC

Do I really think Justin is pocketing these? NO. I have dealt with Justin before on a few things and have only been happy. It was just a frustrated comment, resulting from a combination of:

1. I do find it strange that no one is talking about the fact that it's ex-art director bought prints presale for $10, kept them off the market for years, and then sold them for exorbitant prices (3 the Thing Variants, a run of 70 for upwards of $1500).
Frustration is completely understandable and I can see how you came to your conclusions. I'm guessing Tim (and many other artists) kept a few of pretty every print going through his hands, just in case of returns, to keep a portfolio of work, etc. No different than Daniel Danger hanging on to prints (Jacob's Cabin, Ghost Ship) to sell months or years after initial release, including at shows. They do make this art to earn a living after all.
Olto wrote:2. I do find it strange that Justin thought it would be funny to retweet frustrated tweets as if to put it right back in our faces.
My reading of Justin's retweets was that he was showing how angry and over-the-top some people were getting, and how he wasn't going to let that get to him. Sort of taking the high road, rather than responding back with more anger. Though I think it might have been nice for him to retweet some of the more positive messages too.
Olto wrote:3. I do find it strange that in Mondo's latest Blog post it basically acknowledged that flipping is a fact of life and that we just have to live with it. Other sites (Obey) don't take the same stance.
To each his own, eh?
Olto wrote:4. Multiple people on THIS site have already announced that they got more than one set; how many people generally did that?
I only saw gonzo saying he got more than one set and it looks like he resold the extra at cost to an eb'er. The +3's I saw I assumed were in reference to getting the complete set.
Olto wrote:If you missed this drop, and you're not frustrated, more power to you. But scanning through the posts here and on OMG, and on Mondo's blog from the other day, I see a LOT of frustration. More than usual. There are SO many things that could be done. Yes, limited edition is limited edition. Yes, the free market is the free market. But don't act surprised when people are repulsed by such a reaction, as if you don't care that collectors get shut out while a lucky forty or fifty people just made $500.
Well, it's more than usual levels of frustrations cause it's more than usual numbers of people going after these. Bunches of smarter eb'ers than I predicted this days ago.
Jamesesdad
Art Connoisseur

Olto wrote:
dasmitty11 wrote:Olto might be the most ignorant moron I've seen on this site ever.
I just find it strange that it was never acknowledged by Mondo that someone was going around claiming to be their past art director, selling prints on eBay for thousands of dollars. That's all. I don't think Justin or anyone at Mondo is actually still doing this, I just find it strange that it went unnoticed by them. Jeez.

There was someone that posted +3 plus a set, by the way, as well as one or two other people that said they got two sets.
If you actually knew anything, you would be aware that Tim Doyle was in fact modno's former art director, who is a regular contributor to this site under the name alexfugazi, and the proprietor of his own print/art studio Nakatomi. I bought a couple of Tim's mondo prints from him on ebay, and the paypal receipt said payment was made to Timothy Doyle in Austin Texas. I don't see why it matters if he sells prints out of his personal collection if he needs the money, he lists mosts of these for well bellow what they are worth, and they just get bid up to those insane prices because they are extremely valuable.
maden
Art Expert

I really like these Star Trek prints.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

charter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Olly, you have single handidly caused people to go CRAZY!!!!

:notworthy: :clap:

I would hate to see some of these people waiting in line on Black Friday to be the 21st person in line for something with only 20 available. I bet they go psycho.
Last edited by charter on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:19 pm

maden wrote:I really like these Star Trek prints.
LOL
gonzo303
Art Freak

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:20 pm

charter wrote:Olly, you have single handidly caused people to go CRAZY!!!!

:notworthy: :clap:

I would hate to see some of these people waiting in line on Black Friday to be the 21st person in line for something with only 20 available. I bet they go psycho.
Duh there is more in back of the store so enough bitching will get them to bring it out, right?
Same fudge, different drop.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:21 pm

dasmitty11 wrote:
jjbehren wrote:I'm frustrated that I haven't scored a Banksy since they went to a lottery. drymount POW and their system of selling prints!!! They suck!!!
there is a 155 page thread on the banksy board spewing precisely this. :lol: :lol:
the only difference is that the UKers wanto flip a $700 print for $5000 and here people want to flip a $150 set of posters for $1000.

the flipping potential is the same.

collectors/flippers are both mad that they didnt get one.

stop bitchin and moanin, Santa is watching........ :D
Last edited by mattlew69 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:21 pm

MondoFanMichael wrote:+3 with the set

I have a good one for you guys. Took my wife to her face spa appointment. Handed the clinician my craptastic 3 year old Macbook Air to put in the wi-fi password. She hands it back. I refresh the page and bam there's the add to cart button. I can't find anywhere to enter my GC I bought before leaving the house. I panic and put in my credit card. Wonderful. I spent $377 at Mondo today. :clap:

My own fault. i need to go back and read about the GCs I guess . . . :oops:
Congrats! I didn't know either, but you input the code when you go to shipping calculations and its says input promo codes
Just a dude collecting paper
BillyShears
Art Enthusiast

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:23 pm

vortec42 wrote:
charter wrote:
IndyDMBFan wrote:
vortec42 wrote:
This was the exact same thing that I got...never happened before. It was that way 2hrs before the drop for me.
Because there are thousands of people on the site hitting f5 waiting to see the cart button. Of course their site is going to be slow. That is what heavy traffic does to websites.
Yeah, I understand. But there were many posts here from people saying the site was lightning fast for them, at the same time I was refreshing and it was never loading. Not saying I was surprised it was slow... just that it didn't seem to be slow for everyone. I wonder if it has to do with something in the internet infrastructure, depending on which distribution point you're being served from.. hell if I know.
Maybe someone whose technically minded can answer this but I think there may be some degree of truth in that. I have a super fast computer, with a super fast connection and we only had two computers on our network at the time. Everything on the internet was moving at lighting speed and yet the checkout pages on Mondo were still hanging whilst a lot of people were scoring these prints.
same here. I had multiple browsers, high speed pc and internet etc. propably depends on the number of server nodes you have to pass, when you're accessing a us-server from europe.
a stout-like email lottery would be more appropriate for such releases
Olto
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Jamesesdad wrote:
Olto wrote:
dasmitty11 wrote:Olto might be the most ignorant moron I've seen on this site ever.
I just find it strange that it was never acknowledged by Mondo that someone was going around claiming to be their past art director, selling prints on eBay for thousands of dollars. That's all. I don't think Justin or anyone at Mondo is actually still doing this, I just find it strange that it went unnoticed by them. Jeez.

There was someone that posted +3 plus a set, by the way, as well as one or two other people that said they got two sets.
If you actually knew anything, you would be aware that Tim Doyle was in fact modno's former art director, who is a regular contributor to this site under the name alexfugazi, and the proprietor of his own print/art studio Nakatomi. I bought a couple of Tim's mondo prints from him on ebay, and the paypal receipt said payment was made to Timothy Doyle in Austin Texas. I don't see why it matters if he sells prints out of his personal collection if he needs the money, he lists mosts of these for well bellow what they are worth, and they just get bid up to those insane prices because they are extremely valuable.

It's just strange to me that it's not acknowledged anywhere that someone is doing this. That's all. He can do whatever he wants with the prints. I just think the silence was strange. I guarantee you if someone on OBEY was found doing this there would be a. public outcry; and b. a statement from them about the legitimacy of the prints and regarding their policy on holding back prints.
dasmitty11 wrote:
do you find comfort in numbers?

nonsense? it is a business, they want to make money, their job isn't to please every nancy who cries that they didn't get a LIMITED EDITION print and wants them to police the big, bad internet trying to stop resellers.

get over yourself, you drymounting suck.
lol, well I'd be more than happy to give my money to them instead of a flipper. The whole point is that THEY should be making the money, not some joe schmoe who got lucky with a drop. Jeez. Why even use "drymounting?" Does it make you feel better about yourself that you aren't "cursing"? You might as well.
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:24 pm

PorkBelly wrote: How long should you wait to sell a print?

I would say that you should never buy a print with the express purpose of selling it but I know I am in the minority on this viewpoint.

Pragmatically speaking though, I would say a year.

And who the aftermarket is good for, etc, etc., - I don't care. I just know that, as a collector, it is bad for me.

Also, I'm not saying that my criticism of flippers is going to change anything. They are just taking advantage of the current business model (which sucks for actual collectors).

My criticisms are more geared towards a "don't hate the player; hate the game" perspective.
so what is ok to resell? can I sell my old corvette when I want to? should I try to make as much as I can because it is a collectors item?

maybe you should realize as a collector, you have to play the game to win.

you wouldn't be collecting things if they weren't 'limited' because that is what makes collecting worthwhile.

the current business model is the same as it always has been and always will be in every walk of life, for every buyer, their needs to be a seller and if someone sees the chance to make a dollar out of fifteen cents, they will probably do it.
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:24 pm

Its all peaks and troughs...
No luck in Banksy Lottery but scored a Saber Flag, then lost Sanctuary Moon, but grabbed a DRAN Exhibit (after multiple CC issues!), then lost Jay Ryan Bantha (then a decent EB'er sold me one for face) and scored Moss today.....

Seriously though, there are people out there who are going to be homeless & hungry during Christmas.....it's just a set of posters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:25 pm

Last edited by mattlew69 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dp421
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:25 pm

+1 for the set. I cannot wait to get these up on the wall :drool:

I understand the frustration from people. I've been shut out on drops myself. We all have. Half of my prints have come from ebay I think. Sure, it sucks to get shut out only to have to pay triple on ebay, but think if ALL the prints went into the hands of collectors. You would then have ZERO chance of ever getting one. Do you think there would actually be less crying and moaning? No, it would be taken to an entire new level. Everybody who missed out is assuming that had the flipper not purchased a set, they would've been successful. Lets say you still missed out, what then? Atleast now you have the option to go to ebay and buy a set if you want it bad enough.

Sure, it sucks royally to get rejected during the check out process and then see them up on ebay, but you can't condemn somebody for selling them when they see they can make a $600 profit. Especially around the holidays when everybody is short on cash. Hell, if my girlfriend knew that I could sell these $150 prints for $650+ on ebay right now, she'd probably take them from me and list them herself. haha. Not trying to criticize anybody, I completely understand being frustrated. But we all need to put our big boy pants on and act like adults and move on.

Also, one last comment. I see a lot of the same people complaining in this thread about missing out, how its not fair that these are being flipped, etc. Yet they complain about McCarthy saying his print runs are too high and his newer prints are no longer flippable. Just find that a bit humorous.
Last edited by dp421 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twilight77 wrote:
Spujo wrote:Ill drymounting suck a dick for this poster! PM me.
PM sent