Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
morecoffee
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:47 pm

I got to the last page of the checkout process and it hung there forever. I knew it wasn't going to happen for me...and then the site crashed. oh well. I should have just gone for the single Jedi. For some reason, the add to cart button wasn't appearing from the email link.
I'm thinking the series is over for me. Today was the first shut-out for me. The traffic was just too heavy.
My guess is that computers all over the world will burst into flames when Tyler Stout's posters are released.
Awesome series Mondo. It's been a lot of fun.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 pm

sasquatch wrote:
schmoff wrote:wow, i guess i'll never own these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olly-Moss-Star-Wars ... 3f05f08b25

WTF?
Something smells there.

I'm thinking Mondo is going after flippers on this one. I can't believe someone would legitimately pay that much for these.
That thought crossed my mind as well, but I don't know. These sales may very well be legitimate. Besides the fact that the designs on these are really good, the fact that the actual movie names are on these probably makes them a lot more attractive to the movie buffs out there over the rest of the series.
thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:48 pm

lazk wrote:I got a set, but do feel sorry for peeps who were waiting to hear from twitter. Pick a "method" for the announcement and try to stick with it. People selling on Ebay better be careful. I would not be surprised if they cancel some orders with the amount of $$$$ these are going for already.
And what would mondo do with those cancelled prints? Do another sale for them? Give them to Olly? Randomly hand them out? I don't see any of those happening. Besides, the higher ebay price will help Olly when he sells his, no harm to mondo for high resale prices.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Mondo isn't cancelling orders you guys. Justin's clearly said he's not going to police what people do with posters they buy. As well he shouldn't. That said all three of these gorgeous posters are going in my living room :)
sasquatch
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Jamesesdad wrote: it is very tempting to turn a 150 dollars into 1,000, I have never sold a poster for the sake of profit. I purchased these because they are gorgeous pieces of art. Deal with that you ass ;)
Give it a little more time -- unless you have a nice trust fund to support your hobby.
charter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:55 pm

mcnail wrote:Look, I understand that people will be upset when 10,000 people are trying to buy a few hundred posters, it's just reality that MOST people will miss it. However, to, for some random fvcking reason, suggest that Justin is holding back copies to personally profit is ridiculous. Justin doesn't even own the company anyway, he just works very, very hard for it. drymount off.
Beat em with those corn stalks Mitch.

drymount...is that German?
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Busy morning on this thread....23 pages since my first coffee @ 8.30 CST
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Olto wrote: My attitude sucks?

First of all, I don't care. I'm pissed, as are LOTS of other people. The reaction to this poster is insane. Justin's tweets are a SLAP IN THE FACE:

Messages like that make it all worth it. Merry Christmas!
25 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Reply Retweet
RT @risaac10421:drymount you MondoNews. Awesome prints from an artist, stupid drymounts in charge of selling them. Thanks for random time" bullshit.
RT @Tequila_zen: @MondoNews Another disappointed customer from Finland. Your website crashed. Did not add to cart, major fail. U suck.
5 minutes ago via TweetDeck
@ReelDistraction I've never had so many people saying drymount you before. It's insane right now.

I know he's pulling a Doyle and pocketed a couple of sets. In three, four years, he'll be riding the wave that he's creating. I'm not the only one pissed and there are people far more pissed than I am. I already manned up and bought a set elsewhere but it's really irritating. It wouldn't be difficult for him to determine who is flipping and cancel those orders. Plus the fact that there are people who got two sets (or a set and three individuals) is just insane to me. I had one carted but ran into the same issues like everyone else. I buy enough "limited edition" things to know that this system is awful. Further, as someone who has $200 at stake here, I think I have a bit of a right to voice my displeasure.
Yeah, that's the one...
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 pm

ironjaiden wrote:Mondo isn't cancelling orders you guys. Justin's clearly said he's not going to police what people do with posters they buy. As well he shouldn't. That said all three of these gorgeous posters are going in my living room :)
I think policing is fine until you have it in hand, like Daniel Danger does. It weeds out the people who are purchasing the posters solely for the purpose of flipping and returning a profit. The price hike for these posters is obscene. They may want to wait until they actually see the poster in good condition before selling it to someone else.

(This is from someone who doesn't care about Star Wars)
Last edited by machination on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
selassielion
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Wow. It only takes a couple of SW posters for the ugliness in some people to come out.

I don't understand the entitlement or the accusations. No one was guaranteed these. Having all the prior prints still means you need to fight to get these ones, more so b/c they are the best of the bunch to date. A lot of us didn't get these, there is another chance w/ Olly, so stop feeling bad for yourselves, and in some cases, making assinine statements. I'm sure Justin went through the trouble of licensing these with Lucas, having Olly design them, and D&L print them all as part of his master plan - to flood the market with awesome, limited edition prints that he will one day cash in on. WTF?! I'm looking at you Olto, that fudge is childish. If Mondo sucks so hard, let me help you feel better by taking all the prints of theirs you have off your hands.

You win some, you lose some. Some of you just don't know how to play nice in the sandbox.
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
jedz316
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Darn it - Missed out - Ok Who wants to trade my Bose Headphones for them.
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 10&t=60564

gonzo303
Art Freak

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:08 pm

machination wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:Mondo isn't cancelling orders you guys. Justin's clearly said he's not going to police what people do with posters they buy. As well he shouldn't. That said all three of these gorgeous posters are going in my living room :)
I think policing is fine until you have it in hand, like Daniel Danger does. It weeds out the people who are purchasing the posters solely for the purpose of flipping and returning a profit. The price hike for these posters is obscene. They may want to wait until they actually see the poster in good condition before selling it to someone else.

(This is from someone who doesn't care about Star Wars)
DD is emo and that fits in perfectly with the facebook and twitter people whining about not getting one. Personally, I think dangers attitude on flipping is ridiculous, I saw he posted on facebook that over half of the Sanctuary Moon posters were flipped. OH WELL. At least his art sells still and there is a market for some of it....
Same fudge, different drop.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:09 pm

jedz316 wrote:Darn it - Missed out - Ok Who wants to trade my Bose Headphones for them.

Awesome! :clap: :rolling:
Jamesesdad
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:10 pm

jedz316 wrote:Darn it - Missed out - Ok Who wants to trade my Bose Headphones for them.

dude no one wants your used headphones....

in other news, first on page 420 :ziggi:
Last edited by Jamesesdad on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasmitty11
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Jamesesdad wrote:Well with over 40 of these either on ebay or already sold for well more than twice what they retailed for, I can see why people are so upset.
here is an idea, don't fuel the fire and prices will come down....and it's still just a poster for theloveofgod, there will be 50 more in the future.