Which TStout Triptych Should I Frame Up?

General art-related discussion.
tj
Art Expert

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 pm

So, after about 2 years of not framing anything, I think I'm finally ready to get off my ass and be poster-productive (also the fact that American Frame has free shipping right now helps a lot). Not gonna do anything fancy -- just a plain, matte black wood frame and that's it. I can't decide which way to go -- I kinda like the blue Big Trouble, but, I mean, the red looks way sick too. But the blue glows like effing CRAZY and looks soooo sick in the dark. I also feel like the blue balances the triptych better, but maybe I'm just crazy b/c the red looks really nice too.

Anyway, it'd be good to get some other opinions on it.

Also, b/c I think everyone that remembers me on here (I haven't posted in a while) knows I'm a nerd, here's some extra nerdy photos I took while doing this.

wizdom
Art Expert

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 pm

That first picture would make a nice wall: BR variant, Big Trouble Glow and Thing Reg + metal Robo :wink:
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:59 pm

If you're looking for balance and uniformity, the 1st choice allows you to do that. Blues on each of them...
However, I much prefer the 2nd option. I like how the red and gold sticks out. I'm sure I'd understand your hesitation if I'd see the GID of the blue, but daytime, it's an easy decision for me.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:06 am

That's some collection of Stouts :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:21 am

Gotta go with the second pic...the all blue-and-white Big Trouble is a big dead space between the other two. But I don't know anything about Stouts, so I don't know which is the cool variant version, and I'm sure that plays a part.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
black7towr
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:08 am

Amazing prints!!! I will own both of those Big Trouble in Little China posters one of these days.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:34 am

In my opinion, put The Thing in the middle. Red dominates both the regular BT and variant BR, so put those on the outer edges with the blue Thing in the middle (and since The Thing has red highlights it will balance them out that way).

I wouldn't like both the reds on the left, it would be too dominated by the red IMO.

Anyhow... nice Stout collection. You should share the love. :wink:
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 am

Hi TJ!!! Was just thinkin bout you! Werd.

You should just send um to me!!! Save the framing monies.
HLB98
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:57 am

Talking about a luxury problem
churdiales
Art Expert

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:12 am

first off, awesome collection.

second, in my humble opinion, having three vertical prints/posters next to each other on a wall make up a pretty disappointing set of images (worse, they are the same size).

have you seen those handy framing catalogues from furniture stores, heck, even Target...? they mix and match frames and sizes to make a wall look more cohesive and direct your eye to a center piece, the piece de resistance... let's say: Robo, or one of those Big Trouble, you choose. But, mix it up man... small pieces, vertical pieces, horizontal pieces... awesome piece in the middle. no drymounting trytpich... this is not a dorm room, this is your home with a touch of cohesiveness. follow that rule and your wife/gf/single ladies will forever think you are in touch w/your senses... (besides I will sleep better if I know three same-size-vertical posters are not hanging next to each other in yet another EBer home).

here is an example, yeah, it will be less Martha Stewart and more of a man cave, but still, you get the picture...
home.jpg

and, don't waste your time framing that Lost Boys... send it to Houston, we got a good home waiting for it.

nice collection my man...
krisjay wrote:I find this post odd.
churdiales
Art Expert

Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 am

oh, and that drymounting couch of yours kicks ass... c'mon... don't put three vertical ones together... throw a The Thing handbill here and there... vertical, horizontal, the Thing handbill... repeat on a diff wall. :pint:
krisjay wrote:I find this post odd.
Demise
Art Enthusiast

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:01 am

ummm... the wall of pictures in that room looks like fudge. Hang your posters however you want man, I think the red one looks better tho..
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:16 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:In my opinion, put The Thing in the middle. Red dominates both the regular BT and variant BR, so put those on the outer edges with the blue Thing in the middle (and since The Thing has red highlights it will balance them out that way).

I wouldn't like both the reds on the left, it would be too dominated by the red IMO.

Anyhow... nice Stout collection. You should share the love. :wink:
This is how I'd go too.

And yeah, I too applaud your Stout collection.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:43 am

If you are looking for kudos on the Stout collection...or even if you aren't, you've got it. There are some beauts in this thread. Nice pics too!

Based just on the pics that you provided, the red on the Big Trouble looks much bolder and warmer (maybe a bit more yellow in it?) than the reds in either the Thing or Blade Runner, which seem to have some blue (and white) mixed in. Could be my monitor, but the red version looks like it would be dominant and would divert the eyes if on one side - especially with what I'm guessing is a good dose of metallic gold. I think for that reason, I'd keep the Big Trouble in the middle - whether you go red or GID blue. I think, given the boldness of the red and the similarity of the blues, I'd find a lone spot for that red/gold one and go with the blue, personally. Also, if you take some of Churdiales prompt, you could think about raising the middle one just a little and add one of the small long handbills (like the long Lebowski) underneath.

Either way, it should be quite a sight.
tj
Art Expert

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:15 am

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

But yeah, I agree that the red in Big Trouble is different. The problem with the red version (which is definitely the superior version, in my opinion) is that neither of the other two prints would ever get any attention. I think that the gold and the red would draw the eye too much to the center.

As for Tritych vs. "paint splatter framing approach" (I just made that up now b/c I have no idea what you call that approach to framing), I'm not sure if it'll work here. Maybe it will. But, like, our style is more of a mid-century modern style, so over our furniture, we'd want big pieces. So, in this case, the 3 stouts would go on the left wall and the right wall with the lamp is going to have that massive coyne "all humans are urged to attend" flaming lips UFO poster (going to the framer today b/c it's too big for american frame and life wants my wallet to cry). Anyway, I thought the genesis of the paint splatter framing approach was "hey, I've got a bunch of picture frames but don't know how to display them in an interesting way to take up a large space and not look like trading cards in sleeves?" So does that apply here?

But yeah -- you guys have got me thinking, which I like.