Grateful Dead Egypt 78 Mouse

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm

The background of mine is a split fountain bottom-to-top that transitions from a silverish or pewterish bottom to gold at the top.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
dmc84

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:22 am

Was there a Artist Edition run of 20? (2001ish)?

Looks like image 3 with the white boarder. In the white boarder there is a pencil sketch of Jerry drinking a Martini dressed in a Tux complete with top hat. There also is the running mouse signature in pencil. The mouse signature in the gold part of the print is done in black.

Making the 2001ish assumption based on a Cats Under The Stars Print in Black and Gold with a white boarder also #ed out of 20. In the white boarder is also a Mouse signature, but the mouse looks like it is trying to stop suddenly (dated 2001). There is a sketch of Jerry riding a surfboard (could be a snowboard, but there are no bindings) with what appears to be mountains in the background.

Sorry about the poor quality. Let me know if additional images will help.

Thanks

If this is not a proper post let me know and I will move/delete it.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:51 am

I have an unsigned printer's proof of the Cats Under The Stars print you show in your pic, without any signatures or sketches. It is 33"hx26"w including the large white border. I understand mine was printed by Arellanes studios in Northern California in the mid to late 90's, from whom I've obtained several signed and unsigned posters and prints done in the 90's.

I know Arellanes did several noteworthy authorized "large" reprints of images including BG105, Beatles Candlestick, Who by Numbers, Kieser Hendrix, etc. But I don't know of them doing a reprint of this Mouse Egypt print. Also, I've never heard of the Mouse sketches you show in your pics, but Mouse did some awesome sketches for me on other posters & prints I purchased directly from him in the 90's that lead me to believe he might well have done your sketches on the beautiful prints that Arellanes did ~15/20 years ago. I know there were signed Printers Proofs as well as unsigned for several of the Arellanes projects, and my hunch is that some of these never went on sale to the general public like (a couple exceptions being the large-sized s/n edition of 500 BG105's and large-sized Kieser Hendrix prints that Art Rock sold back then).

I don't know if this helps... just providing some fill-in from my first-hand knowledge.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
dmc84

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks that does help. As I get more info I will update this. These were out at my parents for years I remember 1 or both having a certificate/care instructions on a certificate that was either attached to the back or thrown in with the prints (advising the owner to keep them out of direct sunlight). I will try to track down the certificate if thats of any use (I have this feeling it is inside the frame).
coleslaw
Art Expert

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 pm

Killer pix!!! :drool:
“But as Garcia said, you know, the '60s ain't over till the fat lady gets high. And that means that whatever it takes to get you high: sometimes grief, sometimes it's prayer, fasting. I prefer a joint.”-Ken Kesey
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Thanks. I know I don't have any certificates. I bought my Mouse Egypt direct from Stanley, and I bought all my other Arellanes stuff on ebay from ex Arellanes printers and employees (the print shop shut down years ago as I understand it).
dmc84

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:53 pm

The only thing I remember about the "certificate" was the care instructions. I imagine its not a certificate, but simply care instructions. The instructions could of just been in the case from something else as well.
rainchaser713
Art Enthusiast

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 pm

I just purchased an artist edition set of of Egypt and Cat. Limited edition set of twenty. signed / numbered /Doodled as well and of course the running mouse signature in pencil. Pretty sweet. Came with letterhead from Mouse Studios. Gives total run of both prints,Printer,quality of paper and signed by Mouse with edition of twenty inscribed. Egypt has a penciled image of Gerry as an angel with guitar in hand (signature guitar) and flying above the earth. Totally cool!
Cat has an image of Gerry on the side of the road in the desert with thumb in air with micro-bus passing with a sun face driver pointing onward. Background of mountains and saguaro cactus... Feel lucky to have this set! Believe it........

Released in 2001. Prints done in '91. Lori Arellanes Printer. Doesn't get any better.........................
RITFW
Art Expert

Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:20 pm

That does sound pretty awesome. Can you post some pics?
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:35 pm

I know that at one point in time (circa early 90's), Mouse often refrained from signing his art until it was purchased. Similarly, as far as my personal experiences with him are concerned, he doodled for specific pieces that someone was purchasing, at the time of purchase. I don't know how this plays into the Jerry doodles referenced above, but my guess is that the Jerry angel stuff was doodled after 1995.
rainchaser713
Art Enthusiast

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:26 pm

The edition was released in '2001. So Gerry had passed prior.
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:48 pm

There was a backstage pass produced by Mouse for the Egypt show.
It's listed in the Art of Rock - AOR 4.296 on page 422.
"Those English kids want to play the blues so bad—and they do play the blues so bad".
Sonny Boy Williamson on the feeble attempts by '60's British bands to play the blues.
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm

There was a program produced for the Dead in Egypt shows that used the same image as the backstage pass and the poster.
The size of the program is 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" .
There are 8 pages.
1st page has a picture of the pyramids. Followed by two pages in English. Then a foldout of the Sphinx head. Followed by 2 pages in Arabic.
It's the back page that has the Mouse image.
"Those English kids want to play the blues so bad—and they do play the blues so bad".
Sonny Boy Williamson on the feeble attempts by '60's British bands to play the blues.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 pm

Wow! Good stuff.
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:24 pm

EB only lets you post 3 attachments per post. Here are the English pages and the Arabic pages.