new user question about buying

Share your thoughts or ask all your questions about ExpressoBeans here.
dylanosaur
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Just getting started here with EB and have had a few successful trades and purchases. However, when buying, I was wondering the safest way to do transactions. I have been putting money into a user's paypal and using the trust method and getting lucky. I am saying this because I just put money into someone's paypal and havent heard from them in a couple days. What are most people doing?

Thanks
Catarax
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:28 pm

the safest transaction is one that is done through me..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
Mention
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:59 pm

To be safe, send paypal as a payment for goods and not as a gift. If you send it as payment, you have 45 days to open a dispute if you don't receive your item. If you send it as a gift, you have no recourse.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:04 pm

I'll will take good care of your money. Only the classiest hookers and the purest blow :drool: :drool: :drool:

But yeah never send a gift, there are exceptions to that but that is up to you to decide on
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Another tip, careful which edition of a print you put in your ISO list. You have the original art for Keyes' Last Kiss and the Purple on Smooth White edition of Whale Bone Grove (run of 1) listed. Chances are you won't find a whole lot of people with those in their "trades."
dylanosaur
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:27 pm

thanks for pointing that out jjbehren,

I'm going to go back and revise my ISO list. I have been using the "gift" option in paypal so I feel a little better about that. And ChefFerrari, you are awesome. When I said I've done some trades, I meant the trade I did with you. I think the Dan Danger print is going to arrive today or tomorrow. :D
weallen
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:44 pm

dylanosaur wrote:I have been putting money into a user's paypal and using the trust method and getting lucky.
Using the "trust method" for financial transactions is comparable to using the "rhythm method" for avoiding pregnancy. Sooner or later, you'll get results you don't want.
http://www.billallenphotos.com Live Concert Photography and More...
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Good advice above. I would also mention while 95% of the traders here and elsewhere are great and reliable, there is a 5% who want to make excuses and everything else. Use paypal with the goods transaction as said then come day 44 I dont care who they are, artist, gallery, trader whatever. If you havent gotten what you paid for open a dispute with paypal. I dont care what the seller says, open the dispute on day 44. Beyond day 45 and you are screwed.

Out of say 50 deals I have only had to do that twice. But both times it got the ball rolling really fast then.
stay thirsty my friends
jsan20
Art Connoisseur

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Pay with a credit card and you get double insurance. You can dispute a charge outside of 45 days.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:39 pm

dylanosaur wrote: I have been using the "gift" option in paypal so I feel a little better about that.
Just to clarify, the advice is DO NOT use the gift option unless you're thick as thieves. Even if someone asks you to use the gift option to avoid fees, just offer to pay the fees if you can swing it.
dylanosaur
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Oops i put gift. i meant goods. Ive been using goods. All is good :D
Tadrules
Art Expert

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm

jsan20 wrote:Pay with a credit card and you get double insurance. You can dispute a charge outside of 45 days.
Best advice ever.
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
ceevee
Art Expert

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:14 am

smithwikk3 wrote:If any helps ,you can contact with us.

-----------------------------------------
Yeah. And I wouldn't trade with smithwikk here. That Horkey NFL jersey was subpar to say the least...
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:53 pm

ceevee wrote:
smithwikk3 wrote:If any helps ,you can contact with us.
-----------------------------------------
Yeah. And I wouldn't trade with smithwikk here. That Horkey NFL jersey was subpar to say the least...
Man, I've been looking for a good bootleg NFL jersey manufacturer for a long time. I want a custom jersey that the NFL Shop won't let me make (it's not offensive or stupid or anything, it's just outside of their really rigid rules). I had a source in the US, but that looks to have dried up. So I'd love to get a good bootleg custom jersey made, but I'm afraid of tossing $75-90 to China and hoping for the best.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.