OFFICIAL: New Dan Mccarthy up thread

General art-related discussion.
walterfredo
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:17 am

I just emailed Jay Ryan asking him to reprint 193 Fish and Horkey asking him to reprint Nesting, I want them both and simply cannot afford the going rate...fingers crossed.

Maxine and Tranito=voice of reason, kudos.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:22 am

Well at least you get Black Osprey reprinted. Let it go......
Same fudge, different drop.
charter
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:26 am

Yeah this is old now. What's done is done. Give Dan a break, he deserves it. If he does it again then bring back out the pitchforks.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:51 am

While waiting/praying for Snow Day 4 to materialize in the new sub I wanted to get this print to scratch that itch...

Does anyone have this, does it look just as good or better in person?
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
kevron62007
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:52 am

maxine wrote:There is an Audrey print that I'm still after. One of her older ones. Maybe one day I'll get it, maybe not. But I was thinking today, how would I feel if she made a second edition of it? Even though I really want it on my wall, I'd be disappointed with that decision. If you want to make reprints of things, tell people they are open editions. Period. A limited edition is called that for a reason. What's the point in numbering prints otherwise? No point.
I agree with Maxine's post. I have no issues with Dan I have dealt with him countless time and he is great. I do have an issue with any reprints no matter who the artist is.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:53 pm

charter wrote:Yeah this is old now. What's done is done. Give Dan a break, he deserves it.
:clap:
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:01 pm

If Dan sent out an e-mail saying he is going to scrap this "bonus print" and exchange it out for something different, I wonder what the reaction around here would be...
leescape
Art Enthusiast

Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm still waiting for the third edition. Keeping my fingers crossed.
db23
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:35 pm

maybe this has already been said but i can't re-read all of this... this whole thing is great for me but it's terrible for others. i personally have very little interest in the Don print. i've never really liked it and i LOVE Dan McCarthy. i just never understood what all the fuss over this was. i don't really care for the image and Gloaming is so much better it's not even funny. that said, what is about to happen is that so many people just bought a sub that wouldn't have normally have bought one because of the bonus print that unless i feel like supporting Dan personally (which i normally do) i'll be able to get just about any print i want from this next sub for under cost because people will be selling them left and right. it will totally ruin the pricing/value of any print other than the Don from this next batch but i've never bought his work for value. i buy his stuff to hang on my walls.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:52 pm

HappaHaoli wrote:While waiting/praying for Snow Day 4 to materialize in the new sub I wanted to get this print to scratch that itch...

Does anyone have this, does it look just as good or better in person?
this is an awesome print. i think that it looks much better in person than this jpeg. This is the next item to frame. :D
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
tranito
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Db23, this is actually one of the things that has not been discussed yet. I almost did, but already had too much on my hands.
This is an excellent observation and is very interesting even if it has little to do with the reprint imo. If we start from the fact that a quality print is offered has an exclusive bonus print (DSO2 or anything else, IFGTBL2 is a fine example too), some people on the fence, who would potentially decline the sub, will enter to get their hands on that print (instead of shelling $150-$200 only for this one on the aftermarket).

1- The bonus print is there to help selling some subs and it does.
2- More people are getting monthly prints sight unseen that they don't necessarly want to keep and we definitly see more and more of these prints going for under cost on the aftermarket which is not very ''normal'' considering the quality Dan puts out and the following he has. The Bonus print and the sub system has a lot to do behind it imo. I definitly see it has a double edge sword for Dan (if we consider healthy aftermarket prices is good for the artist has discussed earlier). DSO2 might certainly amplify that.
selassielion wrote:I think that people getting the sub were getting the sub regardless, DSO 2 nothwithstanding. It didn't seal or change the deal for me, and I doubt anyone who re-subbed or is a 1st timer had it impact them either. I look at it same as srdzevon, that I'm paying 27 bucks a print for 13 McCarthy prints, not 350 for one print - I don't see how anyone rationalizes that.

Tranito - are you contrarian by nature or just bored?
Man, at this point, it's been pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about. ''DSO2 not impacting anyone to renew''..??? please.. That's not even debatable.
Last edited by tranito on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
Schoki
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:58 pm

db23 wrote: i buy his stuff to hang on my walls.
well said ! :clap:
gonzo303
Art Freak

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:03 pm

tranito wrote:Db23, this is actually one of the things that has not been discussed yet. I almost did, but already had too much on my hands.
This is an excellent observation and is very interesting even if it has little to do with the reprint imo. If we start from the fact that a quality print is offered has an exclusive bonus print (DSO2 or anything else, IFGTBL2 is a fine example too), some people on the fence, who would potentially decline the sub, will enter to get their hands on that print (instead of shelling $150-$200 only for this one on the aftermarket).

1- The bonus print is there to help selling some subs and it does.
2- More people are getting monthly prints sight unseen that they don't necessarly want to keep and we definitly see more and more of these prints going for under cost on the aftermarket which is not very ''normal'' considering the quality Dan puts out and the following he has. The Bonus print and the sub system has a lot to do behind it imo. I definitly see it has a double edge sword for Dan (if we consider healthy aftermarket prices is good for the artist has discussed earlier). DSO2 might certainly amplify that.
selassielion wrote:I think that people getting the sub were getting the sub regardless, DSO 2 nothwithstanding. It didn't seal or change the deal for me, and I doubt anyone who re-subbed or is a 1st timer had it impact them either. I look at it same as srdzevon, that I'm paying 27 bucks a print for 13 McCarthy prints, not 350 for one print - I don't see how anyone rationalizes that.

Tranito - are you contrarian by nature or just bored?
Man, at this point, it's been pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about. ''DSO2 not impacting anyone to renew''..??? please.. That's not even debatable.
The Bonus print will not have anything to do with the Quality of work he puts out each month. Therefore prices aren't going to decline like you think it will. You guys really think into this fudge to much. WHAT THE drymount DOES IT MATTER. ITS DONE.
Same fudge, different drop.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm

some people are just entitled. :roll:
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm

DSO 1 - SUCKS!!

DSO 2 - RULES!!

:rock: