OFFICIAL: New Dan Mccarthy up thread

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
hirschy75
Art Expert
Posts: 3118
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:32 am

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 pm

It seems like when people say they wanted DSO it was all because "It's such a beautiful print." or "It speaks to me." not "Well it seems like a good investment"

But now 49 people believe that their print is now worthless, and are no longer focusing on the image.

Granted it would suck if he made another TRHAS but honestly it's such a great print that it sucks only 100 people can see it in person.

Food for thought...
reminder: ink on paper
User avatar
lightyears2010
Art Expert
Posts: 8924
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:00 am
Location: 1901 west madison street

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:15 pm

if TRHAS had a run of 550 it would be going for $60.
User avatar
srdzevon
Art Expert
Posts: 8166
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: AL
Contact:

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:15 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:if TRHAS had a run of 550 it would be going for $60.
all day long.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
User avatar
hirschy75
Art Expert
Posts: 3118
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:32 am

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Debatable

But people are still missing the fact that some people will pay for the darker, done-by-dan, 1st edition

Sure they may not be able to flip it for a grand anymore but they should be able to get at least 500 profit (depending on what they payed)
reminder: ink on paper
User avatar
charter
Art Expert
Posts: 9826
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 am
Location: Denver, John Denver
Contact:

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes we all love the art and most of us here frame most of what we buy. But we all also buy more than we will ever frame. Why? Why do we all have just as much if not more stacked away under our beds or in a portfolio somewhere than we have on the wall? Why do we buy the regular and the variant edition if we can? Why are variants more sought after than regulars? Why do we go through our collection months or years later and sell what we don't think we will ever frame at a profit? Collecting art is a hobby and it is an investment. People who say that they are only in it for the art aren't fooling anyone but themselves. We all would turn around and sell a print we have on our walls if it was worth 50k. Collecting coins is a hobby and an investment. Collecting antique furniture is a hobby and an investment. But, I am sure there are coin and antique forums where other people say that they have 50 gold coins in a display case because they love way the coin looks and they never once think twice about the price :roll: I love art but if also feels damn good knowing that I have 5k worth of prints hanging in my bedroom. What if I get into a bind and I need some cash? Am I still going to be holy art thou and sell them for what I paid for them?

Now once again, I think we should all give Dan a pass this once and hope it doesn't become a trend. Dude has been busy these past few months and I really am still in awe from how this one man does all of this stuff and still manages to put out top notch art. :clap: Plus he is one awesome and very friendly person. :notworthy:
User avatar
tranito
Art Expert
Posts: 7996
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Canada

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:25 pm

hirschy75 wrote:''it's such a great print that it sucks only 100 people can see it in person.''

Food for thought...
I never stuck with that argument. Dan has a shot month after month to do something as good if not better.. Isn't it about that to be an artist? Creativity and pushing it further.. I mean, it's the name of the game. Limited editions have a number written on pencil at the bottom and it represents how many people can enjoy it on their wall. You kind of got to hit the submit button ''I agree with these guidelines'' when you enter the hobby.. I did. However, more art can and will always be created and it's the only beauty of it all.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
User avatar
barrettrhoades
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:52 am

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:25 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:
pvecchi wrote:
lightyears2010 wrote:i was underwhelmed with DSO to be honest. i got it for $250 i think(and that was a great price at the time) and i passed it along for the same price soon thereafter. i'm very interested to see how the new one looks in person.
I'm never a fan of second editions, but I agree with this statement. Many of Dan's earlier pieces were not printed very well (imho; I had a first year sub from Dan and never renewed because I though the screens were subpar) and I bet this new one will be crafted much better than the first one was

I probably will never see one in person, but my guess is it will be better than the 1st edition
I was very picky when I picked up my DSO 2.5 yrs ago. I made sure to get the right blend. I already have the newer version listed for trades, because I highly doubt the new one will ever replace the one already on my wall and framed.

Do I wish I would have waited knowing that a newer version would have come out for 1/2 the price I paid plus 12 prints? DUH. Am I mad? A little, but mainly because I really was hoping dan would have made the marcelo in the real world book cover into a print. That image is home run, and I'm a little surprised Dan has neglected to do it as a print rather than remake a 5yr old print
Image

I completely agree about wanting Marcelo to be an art print. I asked him about it a year ago, and he replied that he didn't have plans to do an art print of it, but he wasn't counting it out either. I think that if this was the bonus print everyone would be happy because it parallels DSO, yet has never been a print. But if I didn't have DSO already I would be a little more psyched about the reprint..

I purchased DSO about a year and a half ago, and paid a pretty penny for it. BUT, I don't mind that he is reprinting it because I LOVE MINE and the new one won't have the uniqueness of the original. Yes I would rather have a Marcelo in the real world that I could hang next to my DSO, but I know how many people want this print so if his fans are happy, so am I. So for all those saying that people who bought it on the secondary market will be pissed you are wrong. Now if I paid a ton for one with a poor blend just to have it I might be pissed, but I think my copy is one of the nicest prints I have EVER seen. You be the judge.

I don't think that the new edition will affect the value too much of originals with a spectacular blend. The heavy ink and crackling and wonderful glow of it may not be able to be reproduced because his new work doesn't have as thick of ink as when he hand pulled his prints.

I wonder if he will use a similar off white speckled paper because it is really nice on the original.

Here is a pic of mine:
ImageImageImage
User avatar
charter
Art Expert
Posts: 9826
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 am
Location: Denver, John Denver
Contact:

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Wow that Marcelo would make an amazing print. I can imagine the moon and the stars glowing :drool:
User avatar
ceevee
Art Expert
Posts: 7583
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:06 pm

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:30 pm

barrettrhoades wrote: I completely agree about wanting Marcelo to be an art print. I asked him about it a year ago, and he replied that he didn't have plans to do an art print of it, but he wasn't counting it out either.
I was wondering if Dan had retained the rights to reproduce that one as a print (or if there was a time stipulation or something). Sounds like he does.
Nice presentation of that DSO, barrett.
User avatar
lightyears2010
Art Expert
Posts: 8924
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:00 am
Location: 1901 west madison street

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:31 pm

see, DSO looks insanely good in that framed pic. classy frame up BTW...but like ghost ship, it never seems to be as nice in person as online pics make it look.
User avatar
DaleCooper
Art Expert
Posts: 3659
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:19 am
Location: Nottingham

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:35 pm

I've been bored in the recording studio all night and this thread has kept me entertained. This is good discussion. :clap:
User avatar
middayshadows
Art Expert
Posts: 5777
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:40 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:Am I mad? A little, but mainly because I really was hoping dan would have made the marcelo in the real world book cover into a print. That image is home run, and I'm a little surprised Dan has neglected to do it as a print rather than remake a 5yr old print
Image

...have you asked Dan about it directly? He was probably commissioned for the book cover , no? The answer could be as simple as that it is a rights issue - he might not be allowed to reprint the image...

Just a guess. Edit : this seems to have been addressed above.

I do think a version of Marcelo would be nice, although I dont love it as much as some here do.
Last edited by middayshadows on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
evillittlegoat
Art Expert
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Ireland

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Been a while since I bought anything but there was no way I could resist that. Subbed.
User avatar
jenga
Art Expert
Posts: 2751
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:00 am

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:45 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:see, DSO looks insanely good in that framed pic. classy frame up BTW...but like ghost ship, it never seems to be as nice in person as online pics make it look.
Maybe the peepz who laid out big $$ for DSO force themselves to like it. Marcelo would have been such a better bonus print.
iratasan wrote:I'm german, we prefer to find people over the internet who would agree that we cook and eat them, but a good knife fight is not bad either
User avatar
lightyears2010
Art Expert
Posts: 8924
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:00 am
Location: 1901 west madison street

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:47 pm

full bleed with GID inks = tits
Post Reply