OFFICIAL: New Dan Mccarthy up thread

General art-related discussion.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:34 pm

What was your offer for a DSO a couple of days ago and what is it now?
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:38 pm

tranito wrote:What was your offer for a DSO a couple of days ago and what is it now?
I haven't got it yet. Waiting for my sub print to come through 8)
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:39 pm

tranito wrote:What was your offer for a DSO a couple of days ago and what is it now?
Only joking. I do feel for you lot who wanted to make a few bucks off an unwanted print.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:43 pm

I don't own a DSO nor was I ISO of one. I always felt like it was overpriced anyway. Classic Dan, but he has other great stuff that I'd hang just as much if not more that didn't command $800-$1000.
Kramerica wrote:There are a ton of really nice people who come across as complete dickheads on EB.
Tadrules
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:44 pm

If anyone ever wanted proof opinions are like assholes............
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
Kzelk4
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 pm

tranito wrote:I don't own a DSO nor was I ISO of one. I always felt like it was overpriced anyway. Classic Dan, but he has other great stuff that I'd hang just as much if not more that didn't command $800-$1000.
Off-topic, but Tranito what image is the source of your sig?
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 pm

i was underwhelmed with DSO to be honest. i got it for $250 i think(and that was a great price at the time) and i passed it along for the same price soon thereafter. i'm very interested to see how the new one looks in person.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Kzelk4 wrote:
tranito wrote:I don't own a DSO nor was I ISO of one. I always felt like it was overpriced anyway. Classic Dan, but he has other great stuff that I'd hang just as much if not more that didn't command $800-$1000.
3rd post in the ''explain your avatar thread''

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... lit=avatar
Tadrules
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:46 pm

churdiales wrote:don't own a single McCarthy... but, in all seriousness, this is Malleus all over again.
There are other artists that have been mentioned on this forum who have subdued to that 2nd ed. business... what was the term used for reprinting material? Hamptonized?

not trying to create an uproar... but, I would be pissed if I had paid top dollar for the 1st ed., and Dan's fans... chill, or no chill, this is not cool. even if the guy is a father's dream come true, he could be as sweet as Jay Ryan for all it matters... the fact is that this is not 'taking care of his fans'... au contraire. no time? well, just say so on an email... tell them that you will compensate by doing two bonus prints, whatever... you know? his actions (reprinting) can be taken in any direction if not addressed explicitly... if people start speculating about his reasons.

i am not feeling 'entitled' to anything, but as a collector i don't like when this stuff happens... there is no excuse for reprinting stuff, period. if you want to revisit it, change the image as well... make it an homage, not just increase size, and make colors stand out; it is bad for business... his business. if you feel you have honed your skills... make new images... why revisit old ones? seriously? what for? do you think artists get a kick when asked to perform/sing/act out/paint something that was very successful... in reality, (most of them) hate it... they think people appreciate them because of that 'one hit'. but, they do it, because that is one way to keep people coming... until people get fed up as well.

it comes back to 'we as buyers (market) are the one(s) at fault...'

and, I am keeping it civil/I am not mad... just stating the facts.

a
If you use ULINE tubes, please don't pm me about trades or sales.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Even though commountain deleted his post. There is no single A/P for any in his 04-05 print club http://www.expressobeans.com/public/sea ... series=108 only a 2nd edition Ghost Buddies.

SO yes I do know what an A/P edition is. Dan sold the exact amount back in the day as he printed.
Same fudge, different drop.
tranito
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Even if I'm against it, I will be curious and interested to read what people will have to say about comparing the printing on the new edition vs. the 1st one. If you love the art, that's the fun part for sure..
pvecchi
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:53 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:i was underwhelmed with DSO to be honest. i got it for $250 i think(and that was a great price at the time) and i passed it along for the same price soon thereafter. i'm very interested to see how the new one looks in person.
I'm never a fan of second editions, but I agree with this statement. Many of Dan's earlier pieces were not printed very well (imho; I had a first year sub from Dan and never renewed because I though the screens were subpar) and I bet this new one will be crafted much better than the first one was

I probably will never see one in person, but my guess is it will be better than the 1st edition
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:59 pm

pvecchi wrote:
lightyears2010 wrote:i was underwhelmed with DSO to be honest. i got it for $250 i think(and that was a great price at the time) and i passed it along for the same price soon thereafter. i'm very interested to see how the new one looks in person.
I'm never a fan of second editions, but I agree with this statement. Many of Dan's earlier pieces were not printed very well (imho; I had a first year sub from Dan and never renewed because I though the screens were subpar) and I bet this new one will be crafted much better than the first one was

I probably will never see one in person, but my guess is it will be better than the 1st edition
I was very picky when I picked up my DSO 2.5 yrs ago. I made sure to get the right blend. I already have the newer version listed for trades, because I highly doubt the new one will ever replace the one already on my wall and framed.

Do I wish I would have waited knowing that a newer version would have come out for 1/2 the price I paid plus 12 prints? DUH. Am I mad? A little, but mainly because I really was hoping dan would have made the marcelo in the real world book cover into a print. That image is home run, and I'm a little surprised Dan has neglected to do it as a print rather than remake a 5yr old print
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
Kzelk4
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:00 pm

tranito wrote:
Kzelk4 wrote:
3rd post in the ''explain your avatar thread''

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... lit=avatar
Jealous. Blend on yours looks amazing. Good story to boot.

/off topic
charter
Art Expert

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:08 pm

alteridiom wrote:Dan could make prints and sell them at Wal-Mart and I would still buy them. I'm in it for the imagery. I love the outdoors, camping, hiking, etc. and I have always had a love for dinosaurs. It has nothing to do with my desire to sell them down the road if I don't frame them. So your original DSO may be worth a couple hundred less? Who gives a fudge.
Yet you have 8 sales here. I hope you didn't sell any of those for a profit.