Grateful Dead Egypt 78 Kelley

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Tue May 15, 2007 12:15 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Grateful Dead Egypt 78 Kelley

Malcolm

Fri May 18, 2007 11:33 am

I noticed RoyRoscoe had a copy of the poster I covet & was wondering if it's still available & how is the condition? Also, there is one on e-bay & I wasn't sure if it's real or a pirate. The seller had a no return policy so I was alittle concerned. How can I tell the difference?
pjtaper
Art Freak

Fri May 18, 2007 11:42 am

I saw this at Sanchos Broken arrow the other day...
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri May 18, 2007 11:44 am

Malcolm wrote:I noticed RoyRoscoe had a copy of the poster I covet & was wondering if it's still available & how is the condition? Also, there is one on e-bay & I wasn't sure if it's real or a pirate. The seller had a no return policy so I was alittle concerned. How can I tell the difference?
I think this old FS/T thread should help...
http://www.expressobeans.com/forum/view ... 8634#48634

I think I'll quote some here under the art listing since the Open Market threads evaporate after a year.
jojobadass wrote:
franklinstowr wrote:
ncernak wrote:
franklinstowr wrote:What's the difference between the first and second printings of this poster?
They look the same - gdstore.com has a 2nd printing on sale right now
for $175, but from a collectors perspective, I would recommend this one over the 2nd edition printing. It's unfortunate for a collector that GD would make a second printing of this.
So are you saying there is no discernable difference between the two printings?
jojobadass wrote:
I believe the second printing says "cancelled" under the england shows......but, don't quote me on that.

There is also a 3rd reprint of this.....it's much smaller than the the first two and might even be a bootleg.
I do know there are two versions of this print, one saying Egypt and one saying European Tour. Perhaps the European is the 2nd version? I have no idea, but that's why I am asking.

I'm no GD expert, but the egypt poster is completely different poster......it's brown.

There are 3 printings of the european poster w/ the same image......they're all green.
Flimby wrote:
jojobadass wrote:Ok......I checked some old emails.

The GD/Egypt was printed twice. Among other differences, the original has "Hamza El Din" at the bottom of the rectangle on the left. The reprint has the word "Cancelled" in the same position. Both approx 20" x 30". The 3rd printing is much smaller (12" x 18") and is a bootleg printed much later.

I think the 1st and 2nd printings were both printed before the show. The Dead merch team sold these for a long time as 1st prints when they were actually the 2nd printings. I got one that I thought was a 1st printing, but found out much later that it was actually a 2nd printing.
yep

on the "first":
Arabic lettering in the right rectangle and the Hamza El-Din announcement in the left.
wandering-gypsy wrote:There are 3 main versions that I just looked at. There are several I don't own but I know about and have seen, as well ....

1)
The 1st is in the AOR, page 409 plate 4.239.
Its border is a mottled greenish-yellow.
It's 30" x 20" - btw, the EB listing appears to be wrong.
The one pictured in the AOR has the Egyptian info in the right panel and the English info in the left panel. As noted in this thread, Hamza El Din's name is prominent at the bottom of the panel.

2)
The exact same poster except with NO information printed in either of the panels. There are a lot of these available out there!

3)
Then, there's the poster for the "Egypt/Euro Tour" concert at the Rainbow Theater in London. Show was canceled.
The right panel has an English Title "Egypt 1978", at the top of the panel, over the arabic script in the rest of the panel.
The left panel has the UK show info with "European Tour 1978" and Canceled".

4)
There are progressive proofs out there - I've seen them several times. Uncut.
(1) full color and (6) partial color sheets. All of them have blank panels All signed by Alton Kelley.
These were extremely expensive about 10 (?) years ago and I passed. Nice to look at, though.

Of the above "versions", numbers 1, 2, and 4 were all reportedly printed at the same time. Don't know about #3, the euro-version.

5)
I've seen at least one clever bootleg and a rushed one.

If anyone has exact printing date information, I'd love to add it to my database. Thanks!
I suppose I could ask Alton at the next TRPS show .....

I don't know anything about later reprints. Sorry!
ricv64
Art Expert

Fri May 18, 2007 6:16 pm

I remember reading in Relix about the poster being up in Cairo ,that year
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 18, 2007 7:26 pm

ricv64 wrote:I remember reading in Relix about the poster being up in Cairo ,that year
Wow, Relix. You must be old, dood!
ricv64
Art Expert

Sat May 19, 2007 7:53 am

watch it old maZn , I mean sir

but yeah even when it was called Dead Relix, I feel so asshamed :(
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
bajafine

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:19 pm

For what it's worth, Wolfgangsvault list the 1st printing and shows the poster with "cancelled" in the bottom left box.
automator
Nobody

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:54 am

New image Grateful Dead Egypt 78 Kelley