Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:03 pm

mcnail wrote:
retter wrote:pretty unimpressive. phoned in. maccarthy-by-numbers. probably took him 20 minutes on the crapper with a laptop.

will be the fastest sellout, for sure.
Again, I try to never address dumb comments or arguments here, but I'd say you're selling Dan a little short. You realize he draws all his stuff by hand, on paper first, right? 20 minutes? This isn't some posterized photoshop work from a photo, this is an amazingly realistic landscape drawn by hand.
Haha Mitch it's fun slumming it sometimes though huh?
If anyone needs reassurance about the quality of this piece I'd point to the inevitably fast sellout tomorrow after this drops and the sudden upsurge in 12x36 frame sales at local frame shops across the country.

Retter's just hatin to hate. He's not dumb enough to actually believe what he wrote :)
kramer73
Art Expert

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:08 pm

retter wrote:pretty unimpressive. phoned in. maccarthy-by-numbers. probably took him 20 minutes on the crapper with a laptop.

"phoned-in" is never a term I use when describing his work.
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:10 pm

alteridiom wrote:Why are people asking for an event poster when there isn't an event happening?

It doesn't have to be an event poster, more akin to Ansin's Imaginarium or Bride would be cool at some point. Those aren't event posters yet they feel like movie posters (what mondo and drafthouse are clearly known for), not nice fan art prints. I get why this series is being more subtle and focusing (so far) on lesser known characters or scenes. I actually like McCarthys piece, as I liked Kinsey's piece.... just not enough to give them the frame job.
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"
retter
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:11 pm

kramer73 wrote:

"phoned-in" is never a term I use when describing his work.
i-phoned in, then? :P

just havin some fun. annoyed to have slept on the couch next to the pc to see what dropped. never thought i'd get a rise out of mitch... good times.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:15 pm

charter wrote:
middayshadows wrote:Yup, cheers to Dan for somehow finding the time to do this while keeping the print club going and preparing for the upcoming Gallery1988 show...
I was 100% convinced that we wouldn't see a McCarthy. Will be entirely glad to get this tomorrow. Dan has almost made enough surface area in my house to make a rather nice shack.
Me too - I will definitely be trying for this. I used to think I'd have two frames I could rotate different Mccarthy's in and out of - but instead I seem to just keep buying more frames for new Mccarthy's. And Stouts. And...
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 pm

solthistle wrote:just not enough to give them the frame job.
Shame, I heard you give hella good frame too... :drool:

solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:23 pm

ironjaiden wrote:

I used too but your mom beat me out of biz :drool:

ironjaiden
Art Expert

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:27 pm

solthistle wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:

Yeah in this economy you gotta offer drymounting too. Adapt or perish my man. :)
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:29 pm

ironjaiden wrote:
solthistle wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:

Yeah in this economy you gotta offer drymounting too. Adapt or perish my man. :)

You couldn't be more right

MondoFanMichael
Art Expert
Location: Due to overwhelming mistaken identity, I am not eBay user Michael78747!

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:31 pm

So I never saw where the 475 number came from. It's not going to be 350 + a 125 variant is it?
gonzo303
Art Freak

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:35 pm

MondoFanMichael wrote:So I never saw where the 475 number came from. It's not going to be 350 + a 125 variant is it?
Meant to be funny, cause I would highly doubt you will ever find McCarthy doing a variant.
Same fudge, different drop.
nopey23
Art Enthusiast

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Doesnt appear to have a variant as its now up at http://mondotees.com/Hoth_p_143.html
gonzo303
Art Freak

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:41 pm

The only thing I don't like, is that even though the artist lives in the US they still don't have them sign them all. Why is that?
Same fudge, different drop.
MondoFanMichael
Art Expert
Location: Due to overwhelming mistaken identity, I am not eBay user Michael78747!

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:44 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
MondoFanMichael wrote:So I never saw where the 475 number came from. It's not going to be 350 + a 125 variant is it?
Meant to be funny, cause I would highly doubt you will ever find McCarthy doing a variant.
Well that settles that. I don't really know what his usual Mo is.
MondoFanMichael
Art Expert

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:47 pm

gonzo303 wrote:The only thing I don't like, is that even though the artist lives in the US they still don't have them sign them all. Why is that?
Soto sold his own power droid signed on his sit-in an an artist edition of 50. Did the other guys do the same?