Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:06 pm

middayshadows wrote:
PorkBelly wrote:
pewter14 wrote:I was specifically aiming at the alamo movie screen prints, and how they sit with the movie lobby poster collector.
That is how I came to start collecting the Mondo stuff. I still collect 1-sheets but the current releases tend to be bland photshop collages. I generally go with older stuff (60s-70s) for 1 sheets but it can be tough as they were generally folded and otherwise abused.

I like the Mondo stuff because it reminds me of the older film posters. My two favorite 1-sheet artists were Saul Bass & Drew Struzan.

Olly Moss fills my Bass niche now & Stout does very Struzan-like compositions.

The only downside (for me anyway; I know some people really enjoy it) is the waiting for drops, difficulty getting a print, aftermarket ridiculousness, etc.
That's a good take on it: the Moss/Bass, Stout/Struzan parallel.
bass_anatomy.gif
struzan_blade.jpg
kramer73
Art Expert

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:06 pm

PorkBelly wrote:
dr_flie wrote:Return of the Jedi to go with his first two prints? I'm predicting red.
Nope.
jedi.jpg
those are all old, so nope to all of them.
mistersmith wrote: Yet another pair of prints that I freak over, plan to frame for my office, buy for too much money, then stash away in a flat file because framing is balls expensive. Can't wait.
reservoirdogs
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 pm

pewter14 wrote:
fallenangel1 wrote:
pewter14 wrote:Interesting forum you have in your sig Eatbrie ... how is the crossover form the actual movie poster collectors to these screen printed limited editions going?
I resent that, Im a part of that forum as well ..And Im not a cross dresser ! :P Its all art imo .. I collect what appeals to me .. Typically its movie posters but I have a lot of art prints now as well .. I have a few gig posters what I got through a sub .. Otherwise its not my thing .. except I may pickup one or two from a specific band or show that I was at.
I was specifically aiming at the alamo movie screen prints, and how they sit with the movie lobby poster collector. Was curious how those folks see these new movie ltd edition screened posters.

There was a brief discussion on it a while back, and there was a thread on another forum that was linked (it discussed alamo releases) not sure it was the same forum though.
I was the one who posted the previous links to NSFGE, which is the 'local pub' of movie poster community. Brie's forum is a little more poster focused, particularly newer release posters.

I echo his sentiment regarding actual screenings being the dividing line. I have no purchasing interest what-so-ever in the Star Wars/Star Trek print series, although I look forward to seeing what the artists come up with.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:00 am

The 'gigposter' vs 'art print' debate exists in the movie poster world as well.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 am

Codeblue wrote:The 'gigposter' vs 'art print' debate exists in the movie poster world as well.
You should read some of the 'art print' vs 'packaging' arguments on the hot dog wrapper collector boards. Brutal.
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 pm

I want a Purple Rain print!
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Wonder when the next Mondo print will go onsale. Hope it's that Val Kilmer one..
alwaysalx
Art Expert

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 pm

i want a twilight print!! :clap: :clap:
srdzevon
Art Expert

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:54 pm

I want Stout to do Fried Green Tomatoes!
ImageX5 Hodor Image
Tservo
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 pm

DaleCooper wrote:Wonder when the next Mondo print will go onsale. Hope it's that Val Kilmer one..
A Mondo version of The Saint would be badass. Olly Moss would be a good fit, doing the pocket knife or something similar. Top Gun by Rhys Cooper would be interesting, or someone else with that very sketchy style. Deep down though I want Deep Blue Sea by Aaron Horkey lol.
Image Member T.H.C. Rounds 1-4 Image
LLA
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:57 pm

Olly Moss Twitter post: Wait until I get back before you watch Jedi. It's the last one I need to rewatch. Research for a project, innit.

Possibly related to this series?
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 pm

LLA wrote:Olly Moss Twitter post: Wait until I get back before you watch Jedi. It's the last one I need to rewatch. Research for a project, innit.

Possibly related to this series?
An Olly Jabba!? :o
PorkBelly
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:20 am

Any Austin/Texas locals make it to the Jaws Floating Roadshow this past weekend? I'd love to see some pics, if anyone happened to take any.
austx117
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:15 pm

PorkBelly wrote:Any Austin/Texas locals make it to the Jaws Floating Roadshow this past weekend? I'd love to see some pics, if anyone happened to take any.
Postponed due to rain
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Wars/Trek this week?