Anyone else feel that way?
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 pm

not at all.
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:56 pm

Guess it's just me. I haven't bought so many. I feel like some of my faves have been pretty quiet this year... Maybe it's all in my head though.
willg
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:59 pm

jazzgalaxy wrote:Guess it's just me. I haven't bought so many. I feel like some of my faves have been pretty quiet this year... Maybe it's all in my head though.
Not just you. I feel the same.
oooooIIIooooo
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:04 pm

an experiment in phonology
Kdh12
Art Freak

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:06 pm

jazzgalaxy wrote:Guess it's just me. I haven't bought so many. I feel like some of my faves have been pretty quiet this year... Maybe it's all in my head though.

I don't feel that it has been slow however I have been spending far, far less money

scaling back
mmmm Beer :pint:
bloodthrust
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Maybe, but its a badass year for originals!
Perkins wrote:Hmm. Art with rules. Doesn't sound like all that great of an idea to me.
mistersmith wrote:It's Pearl Jam. You could poop on a piece of French Paper and write "Pearl Jam" in it with your finger and have a decent shot at AoTW.
wizdom
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Kdh12 wrote:
I don't feel that it has been slow however I have been spending far, far less money

scaling back
Same here, spending less. I've been more selective for sure.

But I have to say it's a bad year for flipping :lol:
alteridiom
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm fairly new to this thing. Absolutely in love with it, my wife, not so much. I seem to limit myself only to things I know I will frame 100% and Dan McCarthy. Occasionly I will buy a poster if it kicks ass and is just too cheap to pass up, Millward Circa Survive.
Small town pizza lawyer
GTMaus
Art Expert

Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 pm

It does seem like the volume of prints is down this year, but not the quality. I'm trying to be a lot more selective this year which could be part of it. I'm really trying to limit my spending, but McCarthy is making that tough.
“I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.”
-- Kurt Cobain --
oxygen
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:44 am

yes looks like a slow year so far, of course some nice posters came out but nothing really extraordinary, imho. It would be nice to have a half year recap.
To me this year marks the hegemony of the 18 x 24 format, few posters are bigger now, next step down 16 x 20?
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:35 am

Very slow for prints! Especially right now!
Catarax
Art Expert

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:44 am

i think it's cause there are more potrait/comericial type prints being released.. or they are rehashed.. so to me it doesn't seem like i've seen as much unique art this year as compared to previous ones..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:22 am

Don't know about slow..it seems like many of the print houses are working doubletime. I feel like its a '90's stock pump&dump schemeof some sort. Almost a cash grab - i won't drop names cause I respect some of them and have even purchased one or two of their prints this year....buuuhhhht....

I'm leary of alot of it. That said, I've scored some really nice Pearl Jam Prints (Soto,Burwell, Hampton), a slew of Spusta stuff...yeah, I'm a sucker for his advertising prints (unlike those of Mr. Hogwash). Jeff Wood seems to be on a roll down in Athens even though his stuff has become considerably more difficult to get now that there is no bonafide on-line 'storefront' presence (unless your totally submersed in the music scene and get to all the venues). Tara has returned to gigposters, always a good thing...

The size of these things are getting smaller which I don't entirely mind since they're cheaper to frame..and won't take up soo much space...I mean, an EMEK Rothbury or 10klf double matted with a proportionate frame does save me from having to paint an entire liivingroom wall... so, its nice to have some smaller things to keep from having to paint bathroom walls.

Though I have to admit I feel like the smaller paper means less ink and less paper, less art to fit on the page...so I'm afraid I have to lump it into the same category as all the other products in our daily lives that have slowly done the same thing over the last few years. For starters, ice cream is not a 1/2 gallon at the grocery store anymore. Bars of soap have an edge cut out of them 'to make them not slip out of your hand'...detergent (though I really want to believe has gotten better for the environment and requires less these days) has gotten 'concentrated' into smaller bottles half the size...even though the sh!t seems to work exactly the same as my old detergent I which I always used less than the recommendation of any dammm way. F'n pizza is not LARGE anymore..you have to get an Xtra Large in order to receive what used to be a smallish "Large' pizza. (So glad my local NYStyle pizzaria hasn't started cutting corners...)

Just say'n. I know other people have noticed the cut-back in product size of various things...obviously, I only eat ice cream,pizza,wash my ^ss once in a while and my clothes on occassion or else I'd be able to name more products....

buht I is what I be. nevermind me.
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
CityandColour
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:53 am

Does anyone else consider that the poster scene might be the next sports card or comic book market? We were just talking about this at the bar last night.

I see the poster scene as having much more longevity. I'm concerned with the sheer amounts of posters being pumped out weekly though. Will this market become over-saturated and do you think it already has?

I think there is less people flipping them too. If you don't sell your poster within a couple months of release, you're pretty much stuck with it. I think this happened to quite a few people and have made them think twice about doing so.
Top 2 ISO's:
Obey Peace Fingers 06 Fairey (Gold Edition)
Flaming Lips Chicago NYE 03-04 Fairey

Peep my trades: http://www.expressobeans.com/members/tr ... p?id=16154