Wakarusa 10 EMEK

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ceevee
Art Expert

Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 pm

cvan84 wrote:So are there 2 official posters for this year? http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/121966
Maybe EMEK made one this year out of habit. :lol:
pne...umonia
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 am

Yeah...out of our habit.......... Oh.. pretty poster :drool:
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:34 am

cvan84 wrote:So are there 2 official posters for this year? http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/121966
I believe there have been multiple posters for this festival in the past. 2006 had 3 official ones.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:52 am

sidewaysscott wrote:Good points in there Jojo. My problem with the festival scene, is that there are wayyyyy too many. It's like every metropolitan area has one. The problem with that, is that you have less and less people traveling and attending. End result is that good festivals in the past like Vegoose (1st & 2nd) & Langerado were great festivals, however, both are no longer. Vegoose had a good #3, but wasn't in comparison to the first two.

Then one can think of Jam in the Dam festival. To me, this is one of the best. At least the first couple of years. They ended up taking a hiatus due to organizers health concerns, but have rebounded to have one this year.

Here in Denver, they are about to hold the third "Mile High Music Fest". However, it is in the worst part of Denver, hell - Colorado. No trees, no shade, no rugged terrain, just a bunch of drymounting soccer fields in the plains. And no, I don't want DMB to headline again.

Lets go back to just a couple Great festies that made you travel and see the country!
Mile High has SUCH an awful lineup this year... I'm bummed Jack Johnson is playing there instead of Red Rocks... I may not get to see him :(
gonzo303
Art Freak

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Jack Johnson is ONE of the reasons the lineup sucks, him and DMB! Now Railroad Earth, Keller, Phoenix and a few others could be worth it.
Same fudge, different drop.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:12 pm

jojobadass wrote:wow, I guess I completely derailed this thread.

Ok, I'll expand.......basically the same thing I told Emek. When you think of festivals or festival posters....what comes to mind? For me, it's Woodstock.....the king o festie. Maybe Monterrey pop, Atlanta pop, Watkins glen, altamont, etc. Maybe jazzfest. Possibly Reggae Sunsplash.

Growing up in the 70's/80's.....festivals in the US were kind of dead. I guess in europe, they were going strong......but other than NOLA jazz fest or maybe Newport, they were pretty much dead in the US. It was Stadium rock during that era and it was big.......too big for any festival. So, I guess during they 90's there was resurgence of sorts........Monsters of Rock, Lollapolloza, Reggae on the River. It was pretty good......cool and raw.

But now days, it's just so drymounting corporate. It's disgusting. They should just call them the Walmart Verizon Wireless Festival @ Bonnaroo brought to you by Budweezer

Nice poster by the way.
the contemporary festival model developed in the wake of Garcia's passing. Once the Dead weren't touring, there were a lot of potential fans (and cash) in the underground economy to be tapped. Furthur fest formed out of some of the remaining Dead band members and helped grow the jam band scene by spotlighting regional acts and getting some of them national attention. Phish also pulled some Dead fans into their orbit. but once Phish took their (first) hiatus those fans poured into the festival scene and it grew for a few years. Each region of the country had at least one significant festival, High Sierra, Bonnaroo, Gathering of the Vibes, Langarado, Haymaker, Allgood, Jam Cruise, etc..
then some of the larger ones with stronger financial backing started branching out into other regions and the turf wars over booking certain acts began. Any one remember the Bonnaroo East fest that never happened? Then Phish came back and the smaller festivals that couldn't weather the competition from the competing festivals were done in. Phish playing their comeback shows at Hampton the same weekend as Langarado did them in last year.
Without corporate backing, a lot of the regional festies just wouldn't make it, for better or worse.

* mr. jojo knows all this, I just quoted his post for continuity.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:34 pm

gonzo303 wrote:Jack Johnson is ONE of the reasons the lineup sucks, him and DMB! Now Railroad Earth, Keller, Phoenix and a few others could be worth it.
meh... I dig Phoenix... Say what you want about Jack, he has written a lot of damn good songs... may not be the most talented musician out there, not even close. Neil Young isn't the best guitar player either, give Jack some time...
CityandColour
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 pm

I tried scoring one of these at the show but they were already sold out by the time I left on Sunday.

Looks like Ebay already managed to score one. lol
Top 2 ISO's:
Obey Peace Fingers 06 Fairey (Gold Edition)
Flaming Lips Chicago NYE 03-04 Fairey

Peep my trades: http://www.expressobeans.com/members/tr ... p?id=16154
pjtaper
Art Freak

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:45 pm

How much were they at the show?
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:43 pm

pjtaper wrote:How much were they at the show?
I think i read someplace that they were $100.00
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:44 pm

mr_rugby wrote:
pjtaper wrote:How much were they at the show?
I think i read someplace that they were $100.00
I read somewhere 100 for all 3 festival posters! Or maybe it was 100 each I dont know.
Same fudge, different drop.
1fasttruck
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:08 pm

They were $40
cvan84
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:13 pm

1fasttruck wrote:They were $40
it was a steal at that price imo. The detail looks amazing (this is my first emek). I originally was going to buy all 3 but when I saw this one up close I ended up getting 2 of these. I would have paid $100+ for it
CityandColour
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:07 am

I was told the first 300 were sold for $40 and the last 50 were sold for $60. I was expecting to pay $100. This poster is massive and quite stunning in person.
Top 2 ISO's:
Obey Peace Fingers 06 Fairey (Gold Edition)
Flaming Lips Chicago NYE 03-04 Fairey

Peep my trades: http://www.expressobeans.com/members/tr ... p?id=16154
phanatic420
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:09 pm

I like this poster. It's purtttyy.
Last edited by phanatic420 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.