LOST poster series

General art-related discussion.
byc101
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:
Mapman wrote:I think it was only who was in the church is the story lines we saw, if any of other characters from the island showed up, then they were constructs of the main characters minds to help them move on (OR possibly just not ready to move on like kj1nyr said), either could work depending on the viewers feelings regarding what was actually going on.
Ah, gotcha. I still feel we should have seen Miles, Daniel, and Charolette in the church though. Daniel and Charolette seemed like they were just about to be awakened, then nothing. Guess they were constructs.
When Miles saw Sayid at the concert I thought for sure that he would find and confront Sayid and Hurley, thus having his awakening.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:38 pm

I still don't understand the light thing. AT ALL. I mean how were people supposed to "take" it? Also when MIB floated into the stream down the hole, how come he became smoke monster instantly? Plus what was with the giant bath tub plug? They take it out and it goes all "Temple of Doom".

Also I appreciate everyones input, it's helping me deal and get a handle on what the hell happened.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Darkknight37 wrote: Also when MIB floated into the stream down the hole, how come he became smoke monster instantly?
my question (one of them anyway) is why did the MiB become the Smoke Monster, but when Jack and Desmond went down the hole, they obviously didn't turn into anything?
Darkknight37 wrote: Also I appreciate everyones input, it's helping me deal and get a handle on what the hell happened.
i also appreciate everyone's thoughts....helps me try to wrap my head around this thing...
byc101
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:46 pm

I thought this was an interesting theory. When does Jack die?

http://www.sethabramson.blogspot.com/
nopey23
Art Enthusiast

Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:I still don't understand the light thing. AT ALL. I mean how were people supposed to "take" it? Also when MIB floated into the stream down the hole, how come he became smoke monster instantly? Plus what was with the giant bath tub plug? They take it out and it goes all "Temple of Doom".

Also I appreciate everyones input, it's helping me deal and get a handle on what the hell happened.
Yeah that makes no sense. I guess the light is the islands magic.. and if MIB had gotten it out then he could leave because there would be no rules?

I dunno... I dont think they covered the mythology well at all even if they did do a good job wrapping up the character stories.
Mapman
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 pm

sonny wrote:
Darkknight37 wrote: Also when MIB floated into the stream down the hole, how come he became smoke monster instantly?
my question (one of them anyway) is why did the MiB become the Smoke Monster, but when Jack and Desmond went down the hole, they obviously didn't turn into anything?
MiB was dead, Jack and Desmond were alive.. only difference I can see.
haven
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:50 pm

The light doesn't affect Desmond because he's immune to the electromagnetism. That's why MIB needed him and sent him down there. Jack I'm not sure about.
nopey23
Art Enthusiast

Mon May 24, 2010 2:51 pm

byc101 wrote:I thought this was an interesting theory. When does Jack die?

Matthew Fox was fairly clear on Kimmel yesterday that he died in the last scene so I dont think this is a real possibility, but its a fun theory nonetheless. :)
byc101
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:52 pm

How did Jack get out of the cave? How did Ben get out from under the tree? Did I miss something?
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:I still don't understand the light thing. AT ALL. I mean how were people supposed to "take" it? Also when MIB floated into the stream down the hole, how come he became smoke monster instantly? Plus what was with the giant bath tub plug? They take it out and it goes all "Temple of Doom".

I don't think you can "take" the light but that didn't stop people from trying (as evidenced by all of the skeletons laying around down there. I think the main point Jacob's mom was trying to get across is that you have to keep people out of there because if they uncork that rock everyone is F-ed (source of life, death, rebirth, etc.) because the light would go out and the island would sink.

Not sure exactly why MIB became the smoke monster instantly but my guess is that his soul was dark after killing his mom in cold-blood and was thus ripped from his body when he went through the light/electromagnetic pool - creating the monster. Desmond was immuned to the electromagnetism (which is why he was brought back to the island) and Jack was the island's protector so I'm guessing that scores him a certain amount of smoke monster immunity too.

I think it is purposely ambiguous though so you can draw your own conclusions.
sonny
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Mapman wrote:
sonny wrote:
MiB wasn't dead though...while they were fighting, MiB reminded Jacob that he couldn't kill him...then Jacob said that he had no intention of killing him... then he brought him to the cave with the light and threw him down the stream (because "Mother" said to never ever go down there, thinking that something bad was going to happen to him)...MiB hit his head on a rock and then is sucked into the source...right after that, he becomes the Smoke Monster....
byc101
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 pm

nopey23 wrote:
byc101 wrote:I thought this was an interesting theory. When does Jack die?

Matthew Fox was fairly clear on Kimmel yesterday that he died in the last scene so I dont think this is a real possibility, but its a fun theory nonetheless. :)
I was satisfied with the ending. They wrapped up the main character's stories well. Purgatory makes sense within the rules of the Lost universe. I thought it was cool that earlier in the season Desmond was able to visit the Lost purgatory. But it still feels like the writers left it open. Like they gave themselves some outs if they wanted to make a movie or a spin off. Hell when does the comic book series start, or are Losties not nerdy enough for that?
thebends9
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Print count please...
Mapman
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 3:00 pm

sonny wrote:
Mapman wrote:
sonny wrote:
MiB wasn't dead though...while they were fighting, MiB reminded Jacob that he couldn't kill him...then Jacob said that he had no intention of killing him... then he brought him to the cave with the light and threw him down the stream (because "Mother" said to never ever go down there, thinking that something bad was going to happen to him)...MiB hit his head on a rock and then is sucked into the source...right after that, he becomes the Smoke Monster....
DOH.. that's right.. too many damn details to follow and keep track of.
s_k_y
Art Expert

Mon May 24, 2010 3:17 pm

byc101 wrote:How did Jack get out of the cave? How did Ben get out from under the tree? Did I miss something?
Not sure how Ben got out from under the tree, they must have been able to move it eventually.

As for Jack getting out of the cave - MiB also washed up on those same rocks after Jacob knocked him out and pushed his body down the waterfall. MiB's "body" was dead though.

One could argue that the whole bamboo wandering at the end (and seeing the plane take off) only happened in Jack's imagination, but when Vincent showed up and layed down next to him it became real IMO.