Pearl Jam NYC 10 Soto

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
macc5
EB Team

Fri May 21, 2010 10:06 am

sasquatch wrote:
downtown wrote:
sasquatch wrote:Of course, if this print was by Ames Bros., many of you would be crapping on it. Not impressed either way.
This print and this artist have nothing to do with Ames bros.
Why even bring them up or make such a presumptive speculation ?
Because, in my opinion, this one is no better than many of the Ames Bros. But ... Oh never mind.
imo, I think this is much much better than the ames work. I see no depth or detail from ames work like in this one. Their work always seems 2 dimensional.
Imo its no contest...
PearlJamOnToast

Fri May 21, 2010 10:07 am

schmoff wrote:this thing kicks ass in person
Couldn't agree more. When I saw it I was like....wtf is that? It pops....I love it. It really is a love or hate one.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri May 21, 2010 10:23 am

aky90be wrote:I think the thing on his head is the The Cube at Astor Place, aka, Alamo (The Cube), if so, that would be the NYC tie-in to this poster, note the actual sculpture doesnt have wings.

Alamo (The Cube) is an outdoor sculpture by Bernard (Tony) Rosenthal, located on Astor Place, on the island of Manhattan in New York City. It takes the form of a black cube, 8 feet (2.4 m) long on each side, mounted on a corner. The cube weighs about 1100 kg (about 2500 lb). The faces of the cube are not flat but have various indentations, protrusions, and ledges. It is not widely known as Alamo, the name given on a small plaque on one corner of the base. Generally it is simply called The Astor Place Cube or The Cube.

Installed in 1967, it has since become a popular meeting place in the East Village. It stands in the middle of an intersection, across the street from both entrances to the Astor Place station of the New York Subway and the Cooper Union.
The Cube's distinguishing feature is that it can be spun on its vertical axis. One person can usually push it slowly with some exertion, and two or more people without trouble. Many people who move to New York consider turning the Cube to be a ritual signaling that they have "arrived" in the city. Sitting or sleeping in the shade of the Cube is also popular.
On March 10, 2005, the Parks Department removed the Cube for maintenance. The original artist and crew replaced a missing bolt, and made a few other minor repairs. A makeshift replica of pvc tubes named the Jello Cube in honor of Peter Cooper was placed in its stead. As of November 2005, the Cube returned with a fresh coat of black paint, still able to spin.

igotid
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 10:29 am

This print does look amazing in person....Also surprised at how long these were available at the show. A bunch of flippers were in line at around 3....hopefully this will help teach them a lesson.
downtown
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 10:57 am

Oh wow! The Astor Place cube. I thought I recognized that monolith.
oooooIIIooooo
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 21, 2010 11:03 am

electrachrome wrote:
aky90be wrote:I think the thing on his head is the The Cube at Astor Place, aka, Alamo (The Cube), if so, that would be the NYC tie-in to this poster, note the actual sculpture doesnt have wings.

Alamo (The Cube) is an outdoor sculpture by Bernard (Tony) Rosenthal, located on Astor Place, on the island of Manhattan in New York City. It takes the form of a black cube, 8 feet (2.4 m) long on each side, mounted on a corner. The cube weighs about 1100 kg (about 2500 lb). The faces of the cube are not flat but have various indentations, protrusions, and ledges. It is not widely known as Alamo, the name given on a small plaque on one corner of the base. Generally it is simply called The Astor Place Cube or The Cube.

Installed in 1967, it has since become a popular meeting place in the East Village. It stands in the middle of an intersection, across the street from both entrances to the Astor Place station of the New York Subway and the Cooper Union.
The Cube's distinguishing feature is that it can be spun on its vertical axis. One person can usually push it slowly with some exertion, and two or more people without trouble. Many people who move to New York consider turning the Cube to be a ritual signaling that they have "arrived" in the city. Sitting or sleeping in the shade of the Cube is also popular.
On March 10, 2005, the Parks Department removed the Cube for maintenance. The original artist and crew replaced a missing bolt, and made a few other minor repairs. A makeshift replica of pvc tubes named the Jello Cube in honor of Peter Cooper was placed in its stead. As of November 2005, the Cube returned with a fresh coat of black paint, still able to spin.

originally, i begged to differ considering that cube is a common theme in soto's work:

but upon further reflection, i agree the tilted cube is no coincidence.
an experiment in phonology
turnJBup
Art Freak

Fri May 21, 2010 11:11 am

I like the poster better than the hideous black cube that everyone has to look at. :wink:
carljwiii
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 12:40 pm

Print is amazing. Top 5 of over 60 for me. Really, really nice in person. Will be framed no doubt.
I am a Rhinoceros and my skin is 2 feet thick
aradwanski
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 12:50 pm

I like the print a lot, but wouldn't want to stare at it on my wall
ZandyMan
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Hey Gang,

My new interview with Jeff Soto is now live:

http://lostblog.com/2010/05/21/lostblog ... jeff-soto/

Enjoy!
timc
Art Expert

Fri May 21, 2010 1:21 pm

I think it is funny the majority of the ones on ebay are around 100.00 starting bid LOL, :shock: will be waiting for 10C sale :D I would pay 40 plus shipping :D
Everything woke turns to fudge.
America First.
https://lowfshop.com/
moonshine
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 21, 2010 2:01 pm

thumbs up for a nice original PJ poster.....
KNEEL13
EB Team

Fri May 21, 2010 2:15 pm

downtown wrote:
aahnutz wrote:I like it. Made me smile. :)
Me too.
Also it looks like a real tour de force in terms of technique.
+1

I think I found the inspiration for the print. :wink: :P
Pee Wee-730680.jpg
RiotAct
EB Team

Fri May 21, 2010 6:39 pm

:poo: :poo: :poo: :poo:

pewter14
EB Team

Fri May 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Process photos on Jeff's blog ... it's a good read ...

http://jeffsotoart.blogspot.com/

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines