Can Fairey make good art prints anymore?

General art-related discussion.
my2hands
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 11:53 am

or is he just going to continue to crank out lame portraits using other people pictures and shade them in red?

i mean seriously... what happened to prints like "Sunsets" and "WBN"?
Catarax
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 1:15 pm

those classic type prints are the only type of fairey prints i have hanging in my place, the exception could be lebowskifest, but not really..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
jazzgalaxy
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 1:22 pm

my2hands wrote:what happened to prints like "Sunsets" and "WBN"?
MBW?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
maxine
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 1:42 pm

I think Fairey is just trying to make as much money as quickly as he can. Part of the reason why he makes so many prints in the first place. He knows it can't last forever. He's milking his commercial success right now.
sasquatch
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 1:53 pm

The Compassion Dalai Lama print is extraordinary. One of his best. The jpg doesn't catch the detail. He's an artist trying different things, moving through different phases. I have no problem with his current phase.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 1:53 pm

i wish i could milk myself
Scandi
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 08, 2010 2:01 pm

maxine wrote:I think Fairey is just trying to make as much money as quickly as he can. Part of the reason why he makes so many prints in the first place. He knows it can't last forever. He's milking his commercial success right now.
If he is trying to make as much money as quickly as he can then why doesn't he increase his prices more, considering so many of his prints command a premium on the second hand market? And why does he keep giving money away?
Unconcerned, but not indifferent
blazedoutbee
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 2:04 pm

The Ali is even better, I'll post a pic later...
maxine
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Scandi wrote:
maxine wrote:I think Fairey is just trying to make as much money as quickly as he can. Part of the reason why he makes so many prints in the first place. He knows it can't last forever. He's milking his commercial success right now.
If he is trying to make as much money as quickly as he can then why doesn't he increase his prices more, considering so many of his prints command a premium on the second hand market? And why does he keep giving money away?
Maybe he could focus on having better quality work then releasing prints all the time. It's only a matter of time that the market is over saturated with Fairey prints...if it isn't already. And I love how people talk about giving money away all the time. Does Fairey promote that about himself? He SHOULD be giving money away. Lots of his work are photographs taken by someone else. He got huge by taking someone else's photo of the president and playing with the colour. He should definitely be giving back!
Scandi
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 08, 2010 2:33 pm

maxine wrote: Maybe he could focus on having better quality work then releasing prints all the time. It's only a matter of time that the market is over saturated with Fairey prints...if it isn't already.
On the topic of quality and market saturation I agree with you. I think his output is quantitatively too large and qualitatively way too varying. Some of his prints are fantastic, and some are quite frankly rubbish.
maxine wrote:And I love how people talk about giving money away all the time. Does Fairey promote that about himself? He SHOULD be giving money away. Lots of his work are photographs taken by someone else. He got huge by taking someone else's photo of the president and playing with the colour. He should definitely be giving back!
My point was only this: If his motivation is money, then why give it away?
Unconcerned, but not indifferent
Eighty
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 08, 2010 3:27 pm

show me another artist as big as he is releasing screenprints for $45 or whatever it is - theyre cheap and cheerful, you want his better work buy the fine art/large format prints which are higher quality and released far less frequently

haters gonna hate
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sat May 08, 2010 6:30 pm

my2hands wrote:or is he just going to continue to crank out lame portraits using other people pictures and shade them in red?

i mean seriously... what happened to prints like "Sunsets" and "WBN"?

Ummm WBN is a portrait not too different then what he is doing now

I like the stuff he did for this recent show, and I have only seen the recent prints, the fine art pieces are plentiful and very nice I am sure
mmmm Beer :pint:
aahnutz
EB Team

Sat May 08, 2010 6:34 pm

His fine art pieces are quite nice. I have no more desire to buy his art prints (although I do like his Dalai Lama print).
Hype + flipping - quality did this Fairey collector in. I've moved on.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2010 7:16 pm

aahnutz wrote:Hype + flipping - did this collector in. I've moved on.
fixed... and pretty much reflects the whole scene for me. Prints were a nice intro point, self control = more originals.