Dark Star Orchestra SF 10 Sperry Hunter

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Looks like Dave still has some of the regular.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Congratulations on #100-101 Chuck!
cyadude
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Great job guy! Another quick sell ou! :pint: :pint: :notworthy:
db23
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:31 pm

what an absolutely beautiful poster. i hate the fact that it was for a band i have zero interest in. cannot bring myself to purchase posters for bands i don't like but this thing is amazing!
arnosax9
Art Enthusiast

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:33 pm

phishstix101 wrote:Congratulations on #100-101 Chuck!
i think these will look even better in person, like most of the newest Firehouse prints.
A home run on these....great job. Excellent tribute to the 100th print.
Chuck and Dave kick ass.
upseeker
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm

OneStepAhead wrote:got the blue wave edition. w00t w00t!! i just keep liking Sperry more and more everyday.

fFor what its worth, I absolutely hate the Dead, so you can imagine how i feel about DSO. yet still I'm buying this poster,
i think that says a lot about the artist if he can get me to drop a buck fifty on a gig poster for a band i despise.
It says a lot about you if you "absolutely hate the dead." Why? What did they do to you? Try to alter your mind and then listen to Not Fade Away.
solthistle
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:13 pm

I by no means hate the Dead or DSO for that matter, but am far from a fan. Still had to pull the trigger on two of the regs...... just too badarse to let slip by. Big ups to Chuck and Dave for the sickness!!!
"If you were a good pimp you would've hit me by now!"

"If looks could kill, I am a-dead now"
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:33 pm

The Dead was one of my fave bands early on. I'll risk ruffling feathers by saying "when Pigpen was their unofficial leader". When Pig hit the skids with the alcohol and then passed on, I lost much of my interest in the Dead, because they morphed away from being blues-based, which was inevitable anyway, given the backgrounds of the band members. I've liked a portion of their music since the early 70's (say ~33%), but I'm by no means a Deadhead. EXCEPT for the art and collectibles memorabilia they and their fans have created over the decades. There's never been anything like it that I know of (don't say KISS!). A sizeable portion of the poster culture from the Bay Area 60's was no doubt related to the Dead, so the fact that I know very little about DSO's music (except that it's interpretations of Dead music) doesn't faze me when thinking about buying a poster when I really love the image... like with this one. Add to that, the fact that this is at least in part a tribute to the halcyon days of Haight/Ashbury, and it grabbed me, big time!
Thanks Chuck and Dave!
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
tourist504
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm in love with the Dark Star Orchestra girl....

edit: uber-yoink
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:09 pm

chuck's hottest chick
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
wneff
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:22 pm

jojobadass wrote:chuck's hottest chick
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:59 pm

I've only seen DSO a handful of times. THE HOOK: The very first time I saw them, I was able to "call" every f'n song. I was walking around like a f'n rockstar with everyone sitting around talking during intermission chatting it up with me and talking about how that guy really f'n knows his sh!t and like I say I was sliding around there like Robert f'n Zimmerman coolio-cool I tell you.

So, I had NO problem calling the songs of the 2nd set and had everyone within earshot hanging on my every word. It wasn't till I got home and looked up the setlist that I realized the reason I was able to call the entire show (and the reason for having continuous gooseflesh all night and having been flipping-out on the uncannyness of it all the last 3 hrs.) was that they had note for note...including the tune-ups and de-tunes, warm-ups and walk-ins, recreated a Greensboro show I had attended 15 years earlier...they were f'n spot f'n on.

If I hadn't had the Greensboro shows on tape and played them over an over for several months after the original shows - I'd not have been able to pull it off I'm sure...it was a beautiful thing though. DSO never stops amazing me at their ability to get not only the tones and sound of The Grateful Dead from any particular era in time...but their ability to play the shows back sometimes absolutely note for note as though...well, as though "the Music Played the Band"...

So yeah, this print is f'n fabulous...its got alot of delightful refinements of the Summer of Love Bay area era posters with a heavy dose of all that is right with the present poster scene. Its like DSO recreating a show from history - absolutely verbatim in soo many respects. Does anyone know the setlist from the 4/20 show? Was it an old Avalon show?

Either way - She's an absolute ripppp-uhhhh! ! ! ! (This print and the accompanying show I'm certain.)
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
tourist504
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:22 pm

:clap: I like that post.

Anyhoo, did this sell out before the Ryan/Horkey?
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
southerngarden
Art Expert

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:31 pm

this is so much better than a herd of animals art print...
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:36 pm

tourist504 wrote::clap: I like that post.

Anyhoo, did this sell out before the Ryan/Horkey?
There are still copies of both. Some of the regular edition of the Sperry/Hunter print are available at Hunter's site. But I'm guessing there aren't that many left.