LOST poster series

General art-related discussion.
selassielion
Art Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:17 pm

noeldaddy wrote:
selassielion wrote:So who else thinks Michael was really MIB and Hurley is just blindly following his plan? It seems that Locke is assembling the candidates in order to eliminate any replacement, thus potential adversary to keep him on the island....that and has Desmond assumed a Jacob-like role in the alternate reality by coercing the tailies to meet one another?
I don't think Michael was MIB at all. Didn't Ilana say he's stuck in Locke's form?

The only thing that threw me off was the whipsers, which in my observation have always been associated with the MIB appearing as someone that has passed, whereas when Hurley sees dead people, we don't get that association. The thing that would lead me to think you may be right is Michael's admission of guilt, don't think MIB would have bothered with that.

As for Ilana, I'm taking what she said with a grain of salt after her spectacular exit, she was just a pawn to deliver a message. How much she really knew is debatable.

And any thoughts as to who the boy is? I thought Jacob first, but perhaps the MIB's childhood form haunting him? He was a man at some point, or so he says....

Anyway, great episode! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
byc101
Art Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:12 pm

selassielion wrote:
And any thoughts as to who the boy is? I thought Jacob first, but perhaps the MIB's childhood form haunting him? He was a man at some point, or so he says....
Jacob. He has already talked with MIB in a past episode this season.
nopey23
Art Enthusiast

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:52 pm

byc101 wrote:
selassielion wrote:
Jacob. He has already talked with MIB in a past episode this season.
But you dont know he's Jacob for sure. He just said something about how he couldnt kill them because of the rules or whatever it was...
selassielion
Art Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:38 pm

I think it would be too easy if the kid was Jacob, it's gotta be something more complex. They never go for the easy answers on this show.
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:51 pm

selassielion wrote:I think it would be too easy if the kid was Jacob, it's gotta be something more complex. They never go for the easy answers on this show.
yeah except for when Michael just blurts out what the voices are.

the thing about the kid that struck me as odd was the fact that Desmond could see him. isn't that the first time someone else saw the kid?

lastly, i have a gut feeling that the MIB wins.
sir_smokealot
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:55 pm

From someones episode re-cap:
In order to find the Flocke camp, Hurley has another chat with Michael, who confirms that the whispers are the voices of the dead who can't move on. I wish I had time to review every instance of the whispers over the course of six seasons, but here are my immediate reactions:

1) It was my understanding that, in some cases, the whispers were quotes attributed to still living people. I couldn't confirm this, but I thought we've heard Sawyer, Hurley and Richard's voices as whispers. Does this mean that they are going to die, or am I just way off?

2) This would explain why we do hear whispers from dead characters like Boone.

3) What about characters who died off the island but are somehow connected to the survivors? I'm thinking about Frank Duckett, here. His "whispering" was different than some of the others because it was louder and easier to understand, so maybe it doesn't count as part of the official whispers.

4) I'm still not sure why the whispers so often accompany the arrival of the Others or the Monster, but I have a guess. My favorite adaptation of Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol" is the one with Alastair Sim made in 1951. Just before the ghost of Jacob Marley departs Scrooge's presence, he bids Scrooge to look out the window. On the street below, a poor woman is freezing in the cold. She is surrounded by wailing ghosts who are throwing money at her, but she has no awareness of them or the money. Scrooge asks why the ghosts are so upset, and Marley replies, "They seek to intervene in the course of human affairs, but have lost their power to do so." The whispers are very similar. I think they appear right before the Others and the Smoke Monster because the dead people wish to warn the heroes of the coming danger.

5) I think Harper may have been dead after all when she appeared to Jack and Juliet in "The Other Woman". Juliet might not have known that she was dead, though.
#4 makes sense.
Go tell the women that we're leaving.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:06 pm

bathroommonkey wrote:
selassielion wrote:I think it would be too easy if the kid was Jacob, it's gotta be something more complex. They never go for the easy answers on this show.
yeah except for when Michael just blurts out what the voices are.

the thing about the kid that struck me as odd was the fact that Desmond could see him. isn't that the first time someone else saw the kid?

lastly, i have a gut feeling that the MIB wins.
There are two kids now. The one last night (dark haired) and the one/ones earlier (blondish), that Sawyer also saw with MIB.

I think one is MIB and one is Jacob, from their childhood, and something tragic happened, and that brings us to where we're at with them now. I know, sounds pretty generic, but something along those lines.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 pm

If you haven't seen last night's episode, don't read this!

Everyone in my office is assuming Island Desmond is dead. I think that's too easy, here's what I wrote somewhere else:

NonLocke said the well was dug because people were looking for whatever made the compasses go haywire: electromagnetism. And he just threw the one dude that can handle EM stuff right into it. I don't think he was killing Desmond, I think he had a plan all along. Remember that Eloise said Des was going to mess everything up if he kept messing with reality...well, maybe chucking Des into some anceint EM field at the bottom of a well let him fully connect the dots and opened his eyes completely to both realities. That's why, when confronted with teacher Ben, the Des in the sideways timeline said he had a kid named Charlie -- a kid that doesn't exist in that timeline because he'd just met Penny the day before. And all this un-making of reality is what UnLocke wants, except right now Desmond doesn't realize he's a pawn -- so, having blended the two timelines, with his last fresh memory being chucked in a deep-ass hole by who he thinks is RealLocke, sideways Des was just out for some revenge for what he's perceived as simple attempted murder by Locke.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
selassielion
Art Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:56 pm

sir_smokealot wrote:From someones episode re-cap:
In order to find the Flocke camp, Hurley has another chat with Michael, who confirms that the whispers are the voices of the dead who can't move on. I wish I had time to review every instance of the whispers over the course of six seasons, but here are my immediate reactions:

1) It was my understanding that, in some cases, the whispers were quotes attributed to still living people. I couldn't confirm this, but I thought we've heard Sawyer, Hurley and Richard's voices as whispers. Does this mean that they are going to die, or am I just way off?

2) This would explain why we do hear whispers from dead characters like Boone.

3) What about characters who died off the island but are somehow connected to the survivors? I'm thinking about Frank Duckett, here. His "whispering" was different than some of the others because it was louder and easier to understand, so maybe it doesn't count as part of the official whispers.

4) I'm still not sure why the whispers so often accompany the arrival of the Others or the Monster, but I have a guess. My favorite adaptation of Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol" is the one with Alastair Sim made in 1951. Just before the ghost of Jacob Marley departs Scrooge's presence, he bids Scrooge to look out the window. On the street below, a poor woman is freezing in the cold. She is surrounded by wailing ghosts who are throwing money at her, but she has no awareness of them or the money. Scrooge asks why the ghosts are so upset, and Marley replies, "They seek to intervene in the course of human affairs, but have lost their power to do so." The whispers are very similar. I think they appear right before the Others and the Smoke Monster because the dead people wish to warn the heroes of the coming danger.

5) I think Harper may have been dead after all when she appeared to Jack and Juliet in "The Other Woman". Juliet might not have known that she was dead, though.
#4 makes sense.
Yes! Love this theory.

BTW, MIB is trapped in the Locke form, but that doesn't stop him from appearing or manifesting himself as others. Think of when he brought Ben to the temple and appeared as Alex....
miclinlee
New User

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi Everyone! Greasy's Girlfriend here....

I have been known to pop in like... twice.

My actual theory... because Greasy got it a little backwards:

The side reality, it is like a matrix kinda deal created by the MIB. Everyone is supposed to be happy and get what they want so that maybe, they can't drymount up him leaving the island. I think he wants the candidates all together on the real island so that he can kill them all. and I think that MIB has control over certain things on the sideways side.... Like getting Lock to try and have Linus start trouble with the principal. It's almost like Lock is still working for MIB.

I think desmond is there trying to push everyone to the truth. he encouraged hurley to be with libby which made him remember, and I think he ran over lock because it might effect MIB.

The sideways reality, it's almost as if it's another part of the island.

My question, is when is Walter coming back?
The truth is just a matter of perception,
Mic
charter
Art Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Something has caused MIB to remain as Locke. Jacob's death is the probable reason. But yes, MIB took many forms before he was stuck as Locke. He has been Yemi (Eko's brother), the horse that appeared to Kate, Christian in Jacob's Cabin with Claire when he told Locke he had to move the island, etc...
byc101
Art Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:33 pm

mistersmith wrote:If you haven't seen last night's episode, don't read this!

Everyone in my office is assuming Island Desmond is dead. I think that's too easy, here's what I wrote somewhere else:

NonLocke said the well was dug because people were looking for whatever made the compasses go haywire: electromagnetism. And he just threw the one dude that can handle EM stuff right into it. I don't think he was killing Desmond, I think he had a plan all along. Remember that Eloise said Des was going to mess everything up if he kept messing with reality...well, maybe chucking Des into some anceint EM field at the bottom of a well let him fully connect the dots and opened his eyes completely to both realities. That's why, when confronted with teacher Ben, the Des in the sideways timeline said he had a kid named Charlie -- a kid that doesn't exist in that timeline because he'd just met Penny the day before. And all this un-making of reality is what UnLocke wants, except right now Desmond doesn't realize he's a pawn -- so, having blended the two timelines, with his last fresh memory being chucked in a deep-ass hole by who he thinks is RealLocke, sideways Des was just out for some revenge for what he's perceived as simple attempted murder by Locke.
Desmond in the flash sideways first becomes aware of the "real" reality after a near death experience. This is what he was trying to accomplish by hitting Locke, and if you watch the episode again; look at Locke's eyes right after he's hit. He has had his awakening.

Also Eloise knows the truth too. And if the flash sideways would end or never exist she would lose her son. That's why she doesn't want Desmond to go mucking around with reality.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 am

mistersmith wrote:here's what I wrote somewhere else:

NonLocke said the well was dug because people were looking for whatever made the compasses go haywire: electromagnetism. And he just threw the one dude that can handle EM stuff right into it. I don't think he was killing Desmond, I think he had a plan all along..... all this un-making of reality is what UnLocke wants, except right now Desmond doesn't realize he's a pawn
Very interesting! Not sure if I buy it that MIB's plan was as complicated as that, throwing Des into the well. My take on it is that throwing Des in there was MIB's way of taking him out of the picture without killing him, which is apparently against the rules. Also, the (mostly) unexplained rivalry between MIB and Widmore seems to be what is motivating MIB in Des' case. How many sides are there to this whole thing? The aspect of your theory that is compelling is that MIB might want to 'un-do' the sideways world. I'm still seeing the sideways world as Jacobs loophole, so that would line up with your theory. But it begs the question of whether MIB is aware of the sideways reality to begin with. I'm glad that they are showing the cracks in sideways world though, these last few eps, that there is something unseemly underneath it. BTW, Eloise creeps my out.
byc101 wrote: Desmond in the flash sideways first becomes aware of the "real" reality after a near death experience. This is what he was trying to accomplish by hitting Locke, and if you watch the episode again; look at Locke's eyes right after he's hit. He has had his awakening.
I agree, that 's what I saw too in Locke's eyes, in that scene.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:30 am

miclinlee wrote:Hi Everyone! Greasy's Girlfriend here....
...the side reality, it is like a matrix kinda deal created by the MIB. Everyone is supposed to be happy and get what they want so that maybe, they can't drymount up him leaving the island. I think he wants the candidates all together on the real island so that he can kill them all. and I think that MIB has control over certain things on the sideways side.... Like getting Lock to try and have Linus start trouble with the principal. It's almost like Lock is still working for MIB.

I think desmond is there trying to push everyone to the truth. he encouraged hurley to be with libby which made him remember, and I think he ran over lock because it might effect MIB.

The sideways reality, it's almost as if it's another part of the island.
Hi Miclinlee, welcome!

I agree with your take on Desmond pushing people towards the truth. But I'm not seeing MIB having that kind of Matrix-like influence on the sideways reality. It'd be interesting if it turns out that way though...

....but what you said about the sideways reality - "it's almost as if it's another part of the island" - is really really compelling....hmmm...
byc101
Art Expert

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:15 am

It seems like Desmond in the sideways reality is recruiting the key members needed to get back to the island, back to reality.