Cybercycle 09 EMEK Release Discussion 01/09/10

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 pm

A word of caution... protect the hell out of this masterpiece, since the public will have access to it.
Frame it nicely but behind plexiglass, bolt it to the wall, etc., etc., etc.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
MJBuck
Art Expert

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:03 pm

arrived in portland yesterday. I didn't get a chance to open it last night but plan on it today.
out and perfect.
norelation wrote:quit with the sniveling and just sell the damn poster. i don't care about your life story, we all got problems. just tell me about bent corners, or if your cat has used it for target practice.
mistersmith wrote:That means I'm going to touch you.
tourist504
Art Expert

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 pm

I'll trade you my cyberman for it....
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:35 am

Yeah...this one is a sight to behold in person.

Quick question--as this is pretty solid, I just ran out to Michael's to pick up one of their 18x24 standard frames, rather than going the custom framing route. Nice of Emek to do this one on a standard/common size :D .

Is it better to leave the glass out on this one and just have the metal/print exposed, or should I keep the glass? I can't tell if the actual print is touching the glass, and am not sure if this is bad (if indeed it is touching the glass). I'm guessing that it probably is.

I could use the help of a few experts here 8) . Thanks in advance!
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 am

I'm not a framing professional, but I've had lots of custom framing done over the years, including museum mounting and the like. One thing has always held true: Never let an image touch the glass, as it will 'stick' to the glass over a period of years (sometimes less). Therefore, always either mat your art, or use spacers. Both techniques keep the image from touching the glass.
Regarding glass or no glass... Glass protects an image from the elements of dust, dirt, bugs, finger marks, etc... Therefore, you are protecting your investment better if you use glass.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
dr_flie
Art Expert

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:17 am

I'm going to go with no glass for this one. I've got another screenprint on wood that I've had up for 5 years now and it still looks crisp without glass. No direct sunlight though.
blazedoutbee
Art Expert

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:19 pm

by dr_flie on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 am

I'm going to go with no glass for this one. I've got another screenprint on wood that I've had up for 5 years now and it still looks crisp without glass. No direct sunlight though.
I might go with no glass as well. I need to see the print first. In fact, I might also go with no frame (if I can find some non-damaging way to adhere posts to stretch picture-hanging wire across, to the back of the metal frame).
No direct sunlight for sure.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:06 pm

Terrapin!
gonzo303
Art Freak

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 pm

:clap: :clap: Congrats on scoring both! gotta love em right, which one is better in your opinion?
Same fudge, different drop.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:14 pm

gonzo303 wrote: which one is better in your opinion?
Cycle for the colors, but I could easily see a few people here shred me in a debate, for the detail in Man just breaths and lives EMEK.

These are both marvelous pieces of art
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:42 pm

My Cycle just arrived. WOW!!!
I had read somewhere that the metal is aluminum. Whatever it is, it's nice and thick/sturdy, without being heavy.
Also, it's a silver color like aluminum.
I had been wondering about the color prior to seeing the print in person, because the images on EB and ebay make the metal look sort of gold or coppertone. Now that I see the print in person, the pics from Grateful69Phish just above this post accurately reflect the color of the metal, and the pic just above that from blazedoubtee accurately reflects the color of the robot, which is merely showing through to the metal without actually being painted... funny how the color appears to change depending on the light and angle of the photo in the pictures.
Anyway, I'm sure Cyberman is also killer in person, but I'll keep Cyberman and the permanent smile on my face, thank you very much :)
dancingbear
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:47 pm

just got mine today. very very happy. rare you get a piece like this.

thanks faded line!

Random407
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:25 am

Not the best quality frame, but I already had it laying around

Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 am

I can't tell if there's glass, or just a frame.
I like the use of a thin black frame. It matches up well with the black inside border of the image.