What is your latest proud print acquisition?

General art-related discussion.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:01 pm

ayejay wrote:not a print, but just got this pic in the mail today. tenth wedding anniversary gift for the wife... chandy by adam wallacavage! beyond stoked. dude is a beast.
whoa!!! :shock: nice score, ayejay! wife must be pretty happy!
maden
Art Expert

Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Got a tube from Mark Forsman today. This is one of the prints:

Mark also threw this print in. It's called "Unchain My Heart", measures 8x10, and is an edition of 45. Pretty sweet for free me thinks. Now to add it to the database...

There was another print in the tube, but I am lazy.
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

ayejay
Art Expert

Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:57 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
ayejay wrote:not a print, but just got this pic in the mail today. tenth wedding anniversary gift for the wife... chandy by adam wallacavage! beyond stoked. dude is a beast.
whoa!!! :shock: nice score, ayejay! wife must be pretty happy!
indeed! She was a little bummed I spent so much money but she's stoked. That dude is so talented.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:45 pm

:whistle:
GR8Dane
Art Expert

Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:13 am

Spill it truckie.
haven
Art Expert

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:00 pm

I bet I know what he's got coming.
robertd3
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:29 pm

#1 of 6
Signed By Quentin Tarantino

smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:46 pm

robertd3 wrote:#1 of 6
Signed By Quentin Tarantino

:drool:

Pics of actual print?
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
robertd3
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm

not yet.. will pick up next week... will post then.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:49 pm

GR8Dane wrote:Spill it truckie.
it's one I have been chasing for about 7 years......flattening now.
haven wrote:I bet I know what he's got coming.
I'll bet you do too! :lol:
hungryone
Art Enthusiast

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:51 pm

So this showed up at my doorstep earlier in the week. I'd been after a Faile for a while, but I had bought this one because I'd found someone who was desperate for some cash and had gotten a great deal on it, even though it wasn't the Faile I wanted most. However after opening the tube, I was absolutely taken away by what I had in hand. The level of detail and the grittines of the image left me speechless. It wasn't until I found out the meaning behind the image that everything had come full circle for me.

For those of you that don't know, the image portrays a shot of two legendary boxers from the 50s, Sugar Ray and Jake LaMotta. Faile had originally used this image during their trip to Bethlehem and had pasted it up on the wall that separates Israel and Palestine. Clearly, there is a level symbolic parallelism between two giant boxers battling it out and the ongoing conflict within the middle-east.

Faile later updated their image into print form giving it the title "Fight Vanity" and screen-printing a number of images and newspaper clippings pertaining to the middle-east conflict along with the classic boxers:

The entire print has been painted over in white acrylic (very thick, no real paintbrush strokes, but still has that "layered" feel), and then the images silkscreened on in a very THICK acrylic ink. A few of the classic Faile pubes (aka paint brush hairs) and acrylic droplets balled up that provide a cool effect when the silkscreen goes over it. The hand-torn edges also are a very cool touch. The "1986" and "Faile" signatures without a doubt top everything off. Here are some detailed shots (I say detailed, but this pics do little justice to what you see in person - for example, there was an underlying star pattern screened on as well, however I wasn't able to capture it with my camera):

Thick acrylic inks with coffee stains soaking through:
News clipping text:
Hezbollah and coffee stains:

And here's the back of the print, which has been coffee splattered and then soaked through to the front of the image:

I know Faile isn't the most appreciated or popular artist on this board, but this blows any other print I've ever owned out of the water. A lot of Faile's come with a big price tag these days, but after owning one I can see how the price is justified (and thus making owning one that much more satisfying). Originally I thought I'd end up trading this for another Faile piece, however, I'll most likely be having this framed soon.

Sorry for the long winded post - but I hope at least a few members here will have enjoyed it
Imatruck
Art Expert

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:54 pm

nice post and poster hungryone......it's awesome to finally score a print you've been after for a while.....and even better when it exceeds your expectations upon arrival.

kudos to you on your score.
Staunchy
Art Expert

Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 pm

are you going to send it back with all those dreaded coffee stains?
i and i
ReverendToneZone
Art Expert

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Nice Vanity hungryone. I scored a new Faile this weekend too, couldn't be happier :mrgreen: . . .

hungryone
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:30 pm

WOW Rev that's a beauty! extremely jealous over here... must've set you back a pretty penny too. But how are you just gonna post one small pic?!?!?! :roll: