OMG & G1988

General art-related discussion.
rossi1102
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 pm

machination wrote:
rossi1102 wrote:Looks like Olly shouldn't have been so quick to make one about 1936, when according to this writer he could have made one about 2010.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02/28 ... -only.html
Maybe a print with a mogul run and the star and stripes just beating out the maple leaf?
I'm sure no one cares, and the environment in Vancouver was different than watching it on TV, but:

Hmm...I'm not so sure. It's quite serious and makes grand claims.

I primarily watched CTV. I saw plenty of coverage about the luge death and the top USA athletes, including Vonn, Ohno, Lysacek, and the long-track speed skating teams that beat out favourites. Any good commentator (like Catriona Le May Doan) knew exactly how each athlete from all over the world worked, what records they have, and the commentators also spoke favourably towards them each time they competed. I learned a lot about many athletes from other countries - most of whom I knew nothing about before these Olympics.

It makes sense that the networks would primarily cover Canadian athletes. It's not like these are the first Olympics where the host country focuses on their own athletes. I get the point that they should be focusing on other athletes (successes and tragedies alike) without immediately referring back to Canadian athletes, but maybe it's a way to get viewers to relate to the situation at hand. Yes, Rochette's mother passing away overshadowed South Korean Kim Yu-Na's gold medal win, but I never knew who she was before this. And everyone who watched the broadcast knew that Yu-Na gave one of the best figure skating performances of all time, technically speaking. Emotionally, however, of course people will connect with Rochette more. Because she went through a personal tragedy and still skated a couple of days after.

With the whole "Own the Podium" program, Canadian sports took a turn for the best. They're finally realizing that you have to think a certain way to become #1. You can't keep saying that "we all did a good job anyway" when you really wanted the gold medal but managed to come in 4th place. Athletes from here used to be more lackadaisical before learning the Olympics were going to be in Vancouver.
Please don't think I was agreeing with that guy at all. I can't believe that he actually wrote something like that. And definitely don't feel like you need to defend yourself to this guy. The guy actually complained because people were partying too much.
"There was embracing, all right, but then Canadians have always had the reputation for drinking a lot of beer. The loose marijuana laws only added to the nightly revelry in the downtown streets -- which, frankly, seemed to have little to do with the Olympics. Canada wanted to hold a party, and the Canadians did. The gold medals only seemed to fuel them."
. He says he wasn't actually talking about TV coverage which make his claims even more asinine. Canadian coverage is much better than US, I'm way up north and get CTV, so I watched mostly their coverage because it was actually live and showed many more sports than NBC. I was actually impressed to see how patriotic everyone was in Canada and thought it reflected well on your country.
charter
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:18 pm

lazk wrote:It seems like the artists were not as inspired for this event. Maybe it is bad timing? I still hope it is a success for Mitch.

Is Jensen still depressed? Someone sent me a PM forever ago and said he was really struggling losing (breakin' up) his long-time GF. It might have been a rumor, but maybe he was not as involved in this show. His shows seem to bring the best out of each artist.
He was awesome and seemed happy in December for the LOST show when I went. We stayed out overnight and he had a lady friend with him. :heart: :quack:

We yelled at 4 am for him to come down and party with us and the drunk/high 45-ish year old German chick that was wandering the streets and decided we were cool enough to hang out with.
lazk
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Any prints going to be sold over the phone?
Last edited by lazk on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.K.C.
recycler
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Wow, he read my mind, but this is a very interesting way to depict the run.

Simply an awesome job. I would be glad to hang this on my wall.
charter
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Yup, Olly is a fantastic artist and he is one of my favorites. I haven't seen a print from this man yet that I didn't think was cool. He is also very cool in pseudo person. He has let me see a lot of his upcoming stuff and I wish he would start a sub because I would be the first in line for that. :notworthy: Him and Dan are just :notworthy:
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Interesting find while doing a little reading on the '36 games.

While Jesse Owens won the gold in both the 100m and 200m finals, both times it was an African American that placed second.

100m - Ralph Metcalfe
200m - Matthew Robinson

Not trying to take away from Olly's piece, it's still very cool (and meant to be symbolic, not literal). Just thought it was interesting to note.
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
Olto
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 pm

I LOVE this print:

Recently added to g1988 blog. Brad Klausen's work.
pewter14
EB Team

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:28 pm

ha ha ... Dock Ellis ... well done BK

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:36 pm

:shock:
byc101
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:47 pm

Olto wrote:I LOVE this print:

Recently added to g1988 blog. Brad Klausen's work.
I need this.
entropy
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

pewter14 wrote:ha ha ... Dock Ellis ... well done BK

That video rules! Hysterical. Grade: A

From Wikipedia:

As Ellis recounted it:
"I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the (catcher's) glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me."
rmoore
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 pm

That. Is. Awesome. The story and the print. I had read about that before but didn't make the connection with the art. Nice work!
sir_smokealot
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Good job BK.
Go tell the women that we're leaving.
str8jacketweather
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:28 pm

I really like Moss's no Nazi symbol in the corner, reminds me of my punk rock days:)

I think the problem, for me at least, with this series is pairing up an artist you really like, with a sports moment you care about. I love Danger, hate the Red Sox. Love Millward, don't really care about (or remember) the Kirk Gibson thing. I like Evil Kenevil, but Im not really into Perkins' style. Still waiting for the one two punch of an artist I like and a moment I care about.
nimsu8
Art Expert

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Do we know which of these are prints and which of these are originals?
Anonymous - "One of these days I'm going to type something clever or funny and it will end up as someone signature...one of these days"