LOST poster series

General art-related discussion.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 pm

chalkdust wrote:In the Locke episode a couple weeks ago, Helen refers to running off to get married instead of planning the wedding out so much. She also mentions inviting her parents and John's dad?? If in this alternate reality John and his dad are friends, then how is he still in the wheelchair??
Oooh, good question. Didn't catch that during the episode.
Small town pizza lawyer
noeldaddy
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:44 pm

my wife watched the replay of that locke episode with the pop-ups and told me it said he was pushed out of an 8-story window, just not by his father...

i don't think the alt-reality is the actual ending after the climax/finale. first off, to go with the whole happy-ending thing, it's certainly not a happier ending.. just a different ending. look at jin and sun. still screwed up, but in this reality there won't be a ji-yeon.. rose will die of cancer and won't get a long time with bernard. locke will stay paralyzed and will not achieve the glory of walking and being on a hunt (which to me seems like it will be better for him than living a longer life in a wheelchair).. sawyer, while it may seem he's happier, probably doesn't have a daughter.. i could go on and on. point is there's gonna be pros and cons to both realities, but you can't necessarily say one is better than the other. they're just... different.

as for the juliet mutterings, i think somehow the 2 timelines are gonna converge. i do agree that in the alt-reality juliet is gonna talk about coffee and going dutch, and i think she somehow crossed over. who is going to be the catalyst for crossing realities is beyond me-- maybe desmond cause the rules don't apply to him, or maybe faraday or someone. but i think someone will be able to figure out how to jump realities in order to prevent disaster from occurring in the "real" reality.
if jacob is the protector of the island, we'd have to assume in the alt-reality that somehow jacob failed and the island was destroyed/sunk. whichever candidate is going to become the new protector of the island is going to stop MIB by learning from the mistakes carried out in the alt-reality.

as for MIB being good, i actually believed that for a while. that is, up until the point where he took the white rock and threw it into the ocean. to me there was no clearer way of the writers saying he's the bad guy short of them having locke walk up to the camera, shake it, and yell "i'm the bad guy!!!" while dipping his bald head in oil. some might say there's a catch and that was the writers trying to throw us off. i think they were giving an answer. it's funny, even when they try to give answers, people think there's some kind of conspiracy to everything.

can't wait to see the new episode. is it episode 108?
ImageImage
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:00 pm

wow, interesting turn of the thread here. The whole "next Jacob and MIB" vein never occurred to me, and I can see it though I almost wish for the roles reversed as well. Sawyer had a chance to leave the island back in 1977 but chose to stay as head of security, effectively protecting the island's inhabitants. Jack has his dark moments, and on island he's been pretty quick to turn to violence to resolve issues. He was always threatening Sawyer whereas Sawyer got back at him through manipulation. I can see them sitting on the beach with Jack threatening to kill Sawyer. Ah what do I know. Just give me a few more shirtless Sawyer, Jack or Jin scenes and I'll be happy. :) j/k

When watching most shows 10-15 mins into it I'll have the entire plot, often including cliche dialog. That never happens with Lost. I'll miss it a lot.

soooo, when does DD drop his stash?

Peace,
KJ
byc101
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:13 pm

thebends9 wrote:
selassielion wrote: I agree. What is going to be interesting is to see how the two correlate or intersect - when Jack was looking in the lighthouse mirror, was that the alternate reality, or his own? It would also be neat to see what happened to some of the stronger characters that have died during the show - forget Boone and Shannon - like Desmond, Faraday and Ecko. What the hell would Faraday even be, it seemed that his whole existence was manipulating time to leave the island or get back on it....it's like every week one tiny little question is answered, and twenty major ones are left hanging out there.
Desmonds not dead...in fact I think either he or Widmore will be the person Jacob said is coming to the island
Was the Desmond on the plane in the first episode the Desmond from "our" reality? Does that play within the rules of the Lost world?
alteridiom
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 pm

kj1nyr wrote:

Peace,
KJ
Amen. Hopefully DD is planning a sale soon since he has those Fenway prints to drop as well. Maybe some other new stuff too. Hopefully.
Small town pizza lawyer
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:34 pm

alteridiom wrote:
Amen. Hopefully DD is planning a sale soon since he has those Fenway prints to drop as well. Maybe some other new stuff too. Hopefully.
Lost, Wolfman, Fenway, and show poster(s).
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:00 pm

noeldaddy wrote: first off, to go with the whole happy-ending thing, it's certainly not a happier ending.. look at jin and sun.
lol Where? They've appeared in one scene thus far in the sideways timeline. Ditto Sawyer. That's hardly a counter-point to the characters featured in the sideways timeline, that I've mentioned above.
noeldaddy wrote:locke will stay paralyzed and will not achieve the glory of walking and being on a hunt (which to me seems like it will be better for him than living a longer life in a wheelchair)
Wow, that is a pretty harsh view of people with disabilities you've got there. I think you totally missed the point of "the Substitute," if you think he is worse off in this timeline, than as the fractured person he was in the other timeline - where, he was a self pitying borderline-sociopath- a tragic figure. In the sideways timeline, he is closer to being at peace with himself, with Helen.
noeldaddy wrote: but you can't necessarily say one is better than the other. they're just... different.
Yes, I can . This one's better, no question.
noeldaddy wrote:as for the juliet mutterings, i think somehow the 2 timelines are gonna converge. i do agree that in the alt-reality juliet is gonna talk about coffee and going dutch, and i think she somehow crossed over.
...into the better timeline, exactly what I'm getting at.
noeldaddy wrote: who is going to be the catalyst for crossing realities is beyond me-- maybe desmond cause the rules don't apply to him, or maybe faraday or someone. but i think someone will be able to figure out how to jump realities in order to prevent disaster from occurring in the "real" reality.
Thats the big question set up in the last episode - who was Jacob summoning/guiding to the island? Yeah, I think it's Desmond. Even though the name at 108 on the dial said "Wallace". That's the name of a Scottish clan - maybe his mom's maiden name or something. Is Desmond the descendant of William Wallace (Braveheart anyone?). Alright , that's a leap , but he'll play a huge role somehow.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:04 pm

alteridiom wrote:
kj1nyr wrote:

Peace,
KJ
That'd be nice. It'd be great if he'd answer an email once in a while. Still haven't gotten the Royal Tenenbaums I ordered in November.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:
alteridiom wrote:
Lost, Wolfman, Fenway, and show poster(s).
Yeah, I can't wait. Feeding frenzy at tinymediaempire coming up.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:07 pm

middayshadows wrote:Thats the big question set up in the last episode - who was Jacob summoning/guiding to the island? Yeah, I think it's Desmond. Even though the name at 108 on the dial said "Wallace". That's the name of a Scottish clan - maybe his mom's maiden name or something. Is Desmond the descendant of William Wallace (Braveheart anyone?). Alright , that's a leap , but he'll play a huge role somehow.
I totally had that thought as well- Wallace is a Scottish sounding name, Desmond's Scottish, it could be him they are trying to bring back :clap:
noeldaddy
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:06 pm

middayshadows wrote: Wow, that is a pretty harsh view of people with disabilities you've got there. I think you totally missed the point of "the Substitute," if you think he is worse off in this timeline, than as the fractured person he was in the other timeline - where, he was a self pitying borderline-sociopath- a tragic figure. In the sideways timeline, he is closer to being at peace with himself, with Helen.
you're generalizing my words. i'm not saying that's true of all people with disabilities, not at all. just locke is a different scenario altogether. let's look at locke in the alt-reality. he's still self-pitying. he still wanted to do his walkabout and deny the fact he was in the wheelchair. he still didn't want to park in the handicapped zone. he still got frustrated and threw his keys. and he still wouldn't accept help from Jack. it's almost as if he pitied himself more than ever. yeah maybe he came to terms with his handicap by the end of the episode. but he would've never realized his potential like he did on the island. go back and watch seasons 1-4 again and you'll see the confidence, the pride of a man who's realizing his true destiny. there are plenty of people with disabilities who can still go on to realize their potentials... locke is not one of them. the alt-reality so far pretty much shows a pathetic person. but i'm sure that will change. after all, locke is locke
ImageImage
noeldaddy
Art Expert

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 pm

kj1nyr wrote: Sawyer had a chance to leave the island back in 1977 but chose to stay as head of security, effectively protecting the island's inhabitants. Jack has his dark moments, and on island he's been pretty quick to turn to violence to resolve issues. He was always threatening Sawyer whereas Sawyer got back at him through manipulation. I can see them sitting on the beach with Jack threatening to kill Sawyer.
wow great connection! one of my favorite exchanges from the last episode was of hurley and jack talking to each other about why they had never seen the lighthouse before. "i guess it's because we weren't looking for it," says hurley. i'm sure that sometime before this series ends we'll be saying the same thing. they're gonna drop a bomb on us that we should've seen all along, but didn't because we weren't looking for it. you might be onto something here
ImageImage
middayshadows
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 am

noeldaddy wrote:
middayshadows wrote: Wow, that is a pretty harsh view of people with disabilities you've got there. I think you totally missed the point of "the Substitute," if you think he is worse off in this timeline, than as the fractured person he was in the other timeline - where, he was a self pitying borderline-sociopath- a tragic figure. In the sideways timeline, he is closer to being at peace with himself, with Helen.
you're generalizing my words. i'm not saying that's true of all people with disabilities, not at all. just locke is a different scenario altogether. let's look at locke in the alt-reality. he's still self-pitying. he still wanted to do his walkabout and deny the fact he was in the wheelchair. he still didn't want to park in the handicapped zone. he still got frustrated and threw his keys. and he still wouldn't accept help from Jack. it's almost as if he pitied himself more than ever. yeah maybe he came to terms with his handicap by the end of the episode.
Well you've just illustrated my point entirely. Nobody is saying he's perfect in this timeline...I still want him to believably be the same character, but as you yourself noticed, here he is a character capable of positive growth.
noeldaddy wrote:but he would've never realized his potential like he did on the island. go back and watch seasons 1-4 again and you'll see the confidence, the pride of a man who's realizing his true destiny. there are plenty of people with disabilities who can still go on to realize their potentials... locke is not one of them. the alt-reality so far pretty much shows a pathetic person. but i'm sure that will change. after all, locke is locke
Dude I've seen S1-S4 enough times to know what I'm talking about. Maybe you should go back and watch those seasons with a closer eye. Include S5 in there while youre at it. Yes, he started out empowered by being able to walk, because they wrote him as a complex character- a credit to the show . And he hunted boar - big deal . Not a testament to real strength. Look where his obsession led him, crying at the entrance of the Hatch, killing Boone, alienating Helen, who loved him, etc etc etc, until season 5: he ended up broken and misled. Even Terry O'Quinn thinks Locke is a pathetic figure. He was a pawn to his self-pity and a pawn of the island and ended up hanging himself (!) -or was going to before Ben finished the job. I cannot fathom how you can see that as preferable to being happy with what you have, finding self acceptance, and the winning the devotion of a good woman! lol
chalkdust
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 am

middayshadows wrote:... and the winning the devotion of a good woman!
nopey23
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:07 am

middayshadows wrote:Dude I've seen S1-S4 enough times to know what I'm talking about. Maybe you should go back and watch those seasons with a closer eye. Include S5 in there while youre at it. Yes, he started out empowered by being able to walk, because they wrote him as a complex character- a credit to the show . And he hunted boar - big deal . Not a testament to real strength. Look where his obsession led him, crying at the entrance of the Hatch, killing Boone, alienating Helen, who loved him, etc etc etc, until season 5: he ended up broken and misled. Even Terry O'Quinn thinks Locke is a pathetic figure. He was a pawn to his self-pity and a pawn of the island and ended up hanging himself (!) -or was going to before Ben finished the job. I cannot fathom how you can see that as preferable to being happy with what you have, finding self acceptance, and the winning the devotion of a good woman! lol
Yikes - remind me never to disagree with you on anything... I don't want a scolding!

And, btw, there is no real evidence from this season's episode that Locke is going to be a super positive character in the alt-timeline. He spent most of that episode as an angry, sad person. The last bit with Helen ripping the card was nice, but that's not to say that he's all of the sudden satisfied with where he is in life.