Glow-in-the-dark prints...!!

General art-related discussion.
misterx
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:52 pm

More noob stuff from me...

having spent many an hour drooling over the amazing artwork to be viewed on this site, it struck me as to how many works either a) glow in the dark or b) have a glow in the dark variant....

Are some prints more "glowy" than others, and, for the knowledgable out there(which seems just about everyone 'cept me), what GITD's do you favour??

just curious....

Also, pix would be great(albeit cheeky.... :wink: )
Thanks
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
schmoff
Art Expert

Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:57 pm

dancingbear
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:00 am

aahnutz
EB Team

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:09 am

Use the search function and enter "glow" or gid. Many of those types of prints have those keywords.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
norelation
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:19 am

these two:

AceO
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:33 am

Ian Millard-BFF '08

Stencil, spraypaint and lacquer. Signed, numbered and embossed. Each piece is hand sprayed and unique. The print glows in the dark.

pewter14
EB Team

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:35 am

misterx wrote: Are some prints more "glowy" than others, and, for the knowledgable out there(which seems just about everyone 'cept me), what GITD's do you favour??
To answer this, yes, some prints glow more than others. It depends on how much phosphorescent pigment is within the inks being used.

Also, some prints may glow more or less within the same run depending on how the phosphorescent pigment settles within the ink during the screening process.

*Someone correct me if this is wrong.

The three in my collections I like the most ...

ImageImageImage
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
misterx
Art Expert

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:44 am

WOW!!

Thanks for the responses folks!!

I had seen the Mccarthy before.....and it looks amazing....although some of the others are very appealling as well..

Does the GID(note i called it GITD cos i was sick of typing, with one finger, the whole GITD thing repeatedly...i wondered if anyone would grasp my acronym....turns out you already have one..)paint lose its glow after time/does it degenerate??
Also, are GID's seen as more valuable/harder to get due to their novelty aspect??

I would prefer the McCarthy to be the reverse though.....with the skeletons glowing!!

Thanks again for the noob help...sorry for not searching, only just learned the GID thing!!
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
theomont
Art Expert

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:52 am

If you put a glow in the dark print behind UV glass it tends to not glow as well as a print that's not behind UV glass.
http://theomont.blogspot.com - check it if you get a chance.
ayejay
Art Expert

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:17 am

stouts glow in the dark conchords poster rules. it's the dudes, but in the dark it's their skeletons.
andruw000
Art Expert

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 am

i second the stout los angeles poster. it's freakin awesome in the dark.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 am

I owned that EMEK TRPS for all of 25 minutes, and still this is the first I heard of it glowing. Word.

Most of the GID stuff I have doesn't glow worth a damn, but it also doesn't really get the time to charge. That Millard looks awesome glowing, even if the chick on the left comes out looking like Ahnold in T2.

To the OP: look for some of the Malleus stuff where some sexy dead girl glows like a skeleton after dark. I'm not a crazy Malleus freak like some of these guys, but they do GID damn good. But I've never seen GID done so integral to the print as in the McCarthy "Day Everything...".
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 am

mistersmith wrote:I owned that EMEK TRPS for all of 25 minutes, and still this is the first I heard of it glowing. Word.
ImageImage
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:54 am

You're never gonna let that go are you :) Heck, standing around at Hall of Flowers, all I could think was, "I just turned $60 into my top ISO...giggity."
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 am

mistersmith wrote:You're never gonna let that go are you :) Heck, standing around at Hall of Flowers, all I could think was, "I just turned $60 into my top ISO...giggity."
You don't like "hippie art" so I wouldn't hold it over your head. If you did something like spill beer on it at lunch before you could trade it, that fudge I'd hold over your head.

Didn't you just sell that top ISO not long ago? Oh, how times change.