What did you pick? (poster/art of the year)

General art-related discussion.
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 am

fluffhead wrote:Not exactly what I thought I'd end up picking in advance, but:
Image and Image

i know.. i have the art print of the year I wanted, kinda.... the one I really wanted wasn't there, o well..

the poster of the year is not the one I wanted.. was kind of forced to pick the less ugly one when I got to the end..

Imagewanted it to be Vanitas.. Image
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:35 am

Catarax wrote:the whole selecting process is weird.. sometimes there would be two or three prints on a page that I liked but I could only choose one.. and that print kept being moved to the #1 spot on the next page, and then the next page has crap so I pick the same print.. does that mean if that print gets to the end that's your choice, or does switching up your choices do anything..
It's weird, but logical once you get the hang of it.

It says at the top that you select the best one from the page, and it keeps getting moved to the next page. You keep choosing whatever you think is BEST from each page. Shouldn't be too hard, since you can only choose one as the final entry anyway. And it tells you how many pages are left at the top-right corner. Whatever print you choose last is the one you thought was best out of all of them.

I get your rating system, but what's the point? If each person chooses the print they think is best, then you can get an automatic ranking of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners by simple statistics. And your way is far more complicated.

I couldn't find the other Replete art print, so this is what I ended up with:
Image Image
str8jacketweather
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:41 am

I think the process makes sense once you get used to it. Have to figure, if you like a poster best on a page, its closest to being your favorite of the year, even if something else is a close second.

I think McCarthy's The Fall was in the gigposter section.
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:43 am

machination wrote:
I get your rating system, but what's the point? If each person chooses the print they think is best, then you can get an automatic ranking of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners by simple statistics. And your way is far more complicated.
complicated, but more accurate.. If I could choose my top 3 prints, instead of just my top 1.. i bet the results for this whole thing would be way different.. same thing goes for last year and the year before.. i think a lot of prints got left out or didn't get the credit they deserved..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 am

str8jacketweather wrote:I think the process makes sense once you get used to it. Have to figure, if you like a poster best on a page, its closest to being your favorite of the year, even if something else is a close second.

I think McCarthy's The Fall was in the gigposter section.
that's the problem.. you have to get used to it.. once that happens, the prints on the previous pages probably got shafted..

just look at the previous Art of the Year choices..
it seems the ratings are all over the place for some of them, and that's even for prints I don't like but think are better than others..
Last edited by Catarax on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:47 am

dead man for poster and sacred mandala for art print. Dead Man was a no brainer. Seems like there should have been an art print I liked more than sacred mandala with all the incredible prints this year but really the only one that was close was danger's jabberwock print. I haven't seen Mccarthy's rain made no sound or that might have had a chance.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
YellowBedwetter
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 am

Poster of the Year: Spusta WSP

Art Print of the Year: PNE 27 Club

I still can't figure out how to post pictures....the img and URL buttons dont seem to work
Last edited by YellowBedwetter on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
C-Real
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:53 am

Gig poster : Emek Spoon 09 (I won't be at home tonight to try to pick one up :(

Art Print : Dan McCarthy "The rain had a sound"
So great in person !

Cyrille
jojobadass
Art God

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 am

Before all this started, I really wanted to go w/ mccarthy's Rain had a Sound.........then I came to brainwash's Ali print. And, I thought to myself......If I were going to frame one or the other, what would it be? For me, it was the Brainwash. In a normal year, I think the mccarthy would win............however I fear, as sad as it is, this is a Lost year.

poster of the year was a no brainer for me:

For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
cro225
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am

art print-Image
poster-Image
heather_honey
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 am

Using my own collection to choose from I came up with these:

BK will never cease to amaze me with his creative text!

It's two prints in one!
jcporter wrote:damn...with a name like "heather honey"...it's got to be good!
Give the gift of health and life to needy pets: http://saveuspets.org/
soulshine
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 am

Sperry - WSP
Spusta - Spring Swing

s~s
s_k_y
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:55 am

Pollock - Phish Hampton

Parla - St. Giles

(It was a really tough call between Spring Swing and St. Giles)
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:12 am

jamesgunter wrote:Mine...

ImageImage
i went with the same. I was open about the Gig poster, but after seeing the pics of the gold edition, it was a done deal.

I really hope McCarthy wins the Art Print oty category since in 07 and 08 he techincally had the highest rated art prints, but back then there wasn't a separate category. I feel this year his Rain Has a Sound print stands a good chance.
ISO mccarthy ''the white tree' #6 and #10 canvases, or Clonal Colony aurora variant
ThierryHenry
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 am

Not everyones cup of tea but I went with:

Art Print: Emek MARSians
Poster: Klausen Pearl Jam SLC

How do you add the pics?