What did you pick? (poster/art of the year)

General art-related discussion.
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:11 am

Just curious to see what people are picking?

Mine...

ImageImage
aahnutz
EB Team

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:29 am

The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:34 am

apparently three... but those are slightly different. ...dont care about the discussion part, i'm just interested in what people picked
jmacd
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:40 am

sperry's widespread & danger's ...whatever. it was tough because alot of the pritns i havent even seen yet (they're coming, just not in hand) so it was real tough to pick. some stranger choices for poster of the year. i sorta thought that they would be gigposters & the art prints would be art prints such as danger's hummed would be art & his why? which was poster. just my $0.01931812 US... :wink:
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:20 am

ImageImage
Schoki
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:46 am

Image*Image
bicyclejoe
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 am

The categories are messed up. There are several art prints in the category of poster, including my favorite (Fairey's "Blanket") and some posters listed in the art prints. Any way to fix this before voting gets rolling?
fluffhead
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 am

Not exactly what I thought I'd end up picking in advance, but:
Image and Image
thegig
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:48 am

Image Image

A little tougher to pick this year, I thought. I really liked several of Danger's pieces, as well as Brabant's Off the Grid. For the poster, it was super-tough. Lots of great stuff from Ken Taylor, Emek's Thievery "poster" is incredible, Spusta's Panic is amazing, and there are a bunch of others, but I swear I think the Emek/Horkey collab is one of the finest pieces of gigposter work ever done.
maden
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 am

Image ... im to tired to vote for a gig poster right now
We'll kill the fatted calf tonight, so stick around

Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:08 am

bicyclejoe wrote:The categories are messed up. There are several art prints in the category of poster, including my favorite (Fairey's "Blanket") and some posters listed in the art prints. Any way to fix this before voting gets rolling?
This is a factor of human quality of the database - it's dependent on the entries being labeled in the right category. If something's listing says "poster", it will end up in the poster category. If it's categorized as "art print", it goes there. Can't be changed once voting starts as I recall - learned that last year. It's something where we (the staff) would hope to catch these things when the entries initially go in, but it's also some of the burden on those who submit the pieces putting them in the right category to begin with. At best/worst, they should be pointed out in the corrections thread of the Help section, but at a certain point (like now) it doesn't really help.
Tra la la la la...
adamike
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 am

Sperry Widespread Panic
Spusta Spring Swing
cerebus
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:18 am

Pelican Salt Lake City by Munter (still prefer it over the Emek/Horkey)
Scorch II by Josh Keyes
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:23 am

the whole selecting process is weird.. sometimes there would be two or three prints on a page that I liked but I could only choose one.. and that print kept being moved to the #1 spot on the next page, and then the next page has crap so I pick the same print.. does that mean if that print gets to the end that's your choice, or does switching up your choices do anything..

say you like a print from page one.. and kept that as the best, but when you get to the end, the print you think deserves print of the year shows up.. does that mean the print you voted for at the beginning has more votes then the one you wanted to win more?

there should just be list of say 50 or more prints in each category.. and then you put a rating for each print individually (1-10).. then you find the average of all the ratings and the amount of votes they got and boom there's the print that deserved to win.. this pick the best, next page, pick the best.. seems mixed up a bit.. prints seem to be left out when they should be recognized.. i don't know how it works.. it's confusing to me..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
str8jacketweather
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:25 am

Image wise, maybe it isnt the best. But it captures what going to see bands/loving music when you are young means like no other gigposter I have ever seen.

Just looks cool. :P