Flaming Lips Lollapalooza 94 Coyne

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:43 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Flaming Lips Lollapalooza 94 Coyne

110thStreet
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Anyone know how many of these were produced and how they became available in 94. Website? Fan club? etc...
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:53 pm

110thStreet wrote:Anyone know how many of these were produced and how they became available in 94. Website? Fan club? etc...
quantity is unknown....it is alleged this was given out to record stores as promotion for the tour.
The one for sale looks a little banged up, but I'm sure that's not going to be too much of a deterrent for those after an early Coyne print.
palehighway

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:36 pm

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:23 pm

I have never seen a mint condition 1994 Coyne print

ALL of them are banged up

who cares... they are so perfect that the creases, tears and smudges only add to the perfection
freaksmeout
Art Expert

Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:54 pm

:o :o One just sold for $624 !! :shock: :shock: What a steal of a deal. The thing was only $460 up until the last 45 seconds and then it popped to $624. I thought for sure it would hit $800+.

It's true that these were sent only to indie record stores in 1994 and to select employees of Warner Bros Records Alternative Marketing dept.

A WBR guy I knew was cool enough to put me on the list and I used to get these sent to my shop by Wayne and Scott Booker.

Best damn thing that ever happened was getting these via Fed Ex!!

I sold my Alien Girl for $880 and my Cindy Crawford for $1200 last year.

And not all of the Hank Williams Bug prints are beat up. I have one that's in pristine shape.
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:41 pm

somehow a pristine coyne has less value to me than a banged up one

maybe
palehighway

Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:37 am

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
110thStreet
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:42 am

Had this under "watch" just to see how high it would go.

Had this pegged @ $500 :oops:

Any opinion that if this had been NM it would have gone for more?
Or does everyone reckon that "used" charm makes up for <NM condition with these posters?
freaksmeout
Art Expert

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:10 am

I do think condition kept it down at least 20% in price even though a frame and matte would have covered up pinholes.

Although the QUANTITY of these prints has been the source of great debate, I think everyone agrees that the number is in the 100 range..no more than 150.

Pulling more than 100 or so of these, with multiple colors, in a garage (which is where Wayne did these) would be a little overwhelming.

In looking at what other early and large format Kozik prints go for, I think these Wayne prints are undervalued and believe that they will really escalate in value in the next 10 years or so because they are just SO unusual.

I was pleased to get $880 and $1200 for some of mine which were duplicates. But I'm going to hold on the rest for awhile.
110thStreet
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:54 am

i suspect you might be right about future increases in value since the interest level is definitely heightened by the direct association with Coyne.
Certainly wise to hold back on any multiples :wink:
nc312
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:11 pm

I'm pretty happy with the price I paid for this piece. I really haven't come acrosss any posters that are as hard to find as these. Still waiting for my tube, can't decide if I should keep it or trade. I'm sure if it looks as good as the rest of his stuff, it will be pretty sick and untradeable!!!
palehighway

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:16 pm

edit
Last edited by palehighway on Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:14 am

freaksmeout wrote:I do think condition kept it down at least 20% in price even though a frame and matte would have covered up pinholes.

Although the QUANTITY of these prints has been the source of great debate, I think everyone agrees that the number is in the 100 range..no more than 150.

Pulling more than 100 or so of these, with multiple colors, in a garage (which is where Wayne did these) would be a little overwhelming.

In looking at what other early and large format Kozik prints go for, I think these Wayne prints are undervalued and believe that they will really escalate in value in the next 10 years or so because they are just SO unusual.

I was pleased to get $880 and $1200 for some of mine which were duplicates. But I'm going to hold on the rest for awhile.
huh?

people pull hundred of prints every night of the week in little garages all over town

and kozik's poster are insanely cheap... the only ones that get serious coin (pun intended) are pearl jam, hendrix, nirvana and sinatra... the rest, even the big huge 'popular' ones are cheap cheap cheap

the coynes get those prices not because of the band name but because of the art... which is quite a compliment.

now as for future prices for these poster... I am not so sure it will go up any more than this... actually I think it will go down. Same happened with the Doundgarden/PJ poster which peaked and then dropped. There are only a very few people out there that will shell out more than $1000 for a GIG poster... especially when its done for a relatively small-name band like Flaming Lips.

For $1000+ I will buy a painting or a Warhol or Haring print.
nc312
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:45 am

I think that these pieces will increase in value tremendously. More people are learning about gigposters everyday. Whether it be from magazines or books, the popularity of gigposters is growing exponentially. The Flaming Lips are currently working on a broadway musical based on Yoshimi...if this happens and becomes a success, the lips will be exposed to a whole new scene. I still think there are people out there who don't know how desirable these pieces are!! I know I lucked out once.