The Warriors Poster Series

General art-related discussion.
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:36 pm

thebends9 wrote:I need an Orphans print. That guys mug is engrained in my head...
you mean the one that looks like a lazy eyed David Schwimmer?

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
titanm3
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:47 pm

being as i don't care for stout very much, i'm really excited for this.
andruw000
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:59 pm

i know for a fact that tyler has a new movie poster coming out soon. perhaps it's a variation of his original warriors poster, which i think is his best poster. i usually check out the ritz film schedule to get an idea of what posters might be coming out. i wouldn't be surprised to see a stout LOTR soon.
thebends9
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:05 pm

pewter14 wrote:
thebends9 wrote:I need an Orphans print. That guys mug is engrained in my head...
you mean the one that looks like a lazy eyed David Schwimmer?
LOL> That would be the one...
mcgod
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:08 pm

mcnail wrote:This is certainly not a corporate marketing campaign, this is simply The Alamo hiring some of their favorite artists to make posters for one of their favorite movies.
You can't even hardly find any of the Warriors posters that were previously released, I don't see how that is saturation.
Just because you have one of the original posters, doesn't mean no more should ever be made again. That's like saying that since you have one White Stripes poster, Rob should quit making them, because it's saturated.
First off, made coin off the first Stouts long ago, this aint about resale.
Second, if Paramount is involved at all, they see it as part of their overall corporate promotions campaign (viral or otherwise).
Third, you're not supposed to be able to easily find the previous Warriors posters, that was the whole idea behind 'limited', right?

And lastly, the Rob Jones comparison doesn't track at all---he keeps making new posters because Jack White plays new shows in different cities with different songs, so it's not rehashing the same event over and over.
I'd feel differently if these were part of a series of posters for a new flick, but these are glorified fan club posters for an old film and one batch is plenty imo.
Gigposters are different from movie posters-- one is promoting an event, the other is promoting a product. IMO unless it's a one-time-only special screening or something (which it isn't), it's beyond boring to rehash posters of the same movie every couple years. So many good movies, no reason to repeat so soon.
Again, just my view.
Bulla
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:24 pm

I think TS is doing a new print for this.
mcnail
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:33 pm

mcgod wrote:
mcnail wrote:This is certainly not a corporate marketing campaign, this is simply The Alamo hiring some of their favorite artists to make posters for one of their favorite movies.
You can't even hardly find any of the Warriors posters that were previously released, I don't see how that is saturation.
Just because you have one of the original posters, doesn't mean no more should ever be made again. That's like saying that since you have one White Stripes poster, Rob should quit making them, because it's saturated.
First off, made coin off the first Stouts long ago, this aint about resale.
Second, if Paramount is involved at all, they see it as part of their overall corporate promotions campaign (viral or otherwise).
Third, you're not supposed to be able to easily find the previous Warriors posters, that was the whole idea behind 'limited', right?

And lastly, the Rob Jones comparison doesn't track at all---he keeps making new posters because Jack White plays new shows in different cities with different songs, so it's not rehashing the same event over and over.
I'd feel differently if these were part of a series of posters for a new flick, but these are glorified fan club posters for an old film and one batch is plenty imo.
Gigposters are different from movie posters-- one is promoting an event, the other is promoting a product. IMO unless it's a one-time-only special screening or something (which it isn't), it's beyond boring to rehash posters of the same movie every couple years. So many good movies, no reason to repeat so soon.
Again, just my view.
You are entitled to your opinion, I just happen to totally disagree with it.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:46 pm

I'd add to this that the above arguement is a touch flawed as well. The "original" Alamo movie posters weren't done to promote the film itself - each one was for the Rolling Roadshow events, screening the films at very specific locations relating to the film in question. Some of these came across in the prints, some not so much. The Warriors screening (at Coney Island, right?) is a very unique declaration in itself. To me, new prints for the film are great but separate from the first Alamo ones. If it's not your cup of tea, that's cool. But since it's really looking to be a deal between the Alamo folks, the artists, and probably Mitch too (I'm guessing), then it's just up to the rest of us about to buy or not.
I look forward to seeing them for the art. But I also know that the odds of me picking up one are slim since the film itself means very little to me - not one of my personal cult faves. If a set managed to hit on one of those... I could see snagging a full run potentially. Double bonus on that would be if all prints were the same size so that I could frame one or two and then swap them around at my leisure... ahh...
Tra la la la la...
titanm3
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 pm

I don't know when the last time a gigposter actually promoted a show, instead of being a way to remember it. Same deal with the movie posters.
I agree, having them be the same size would be pretty awesome for a series.
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Mitch, any hints as to which artists are involved?

Are most/all of them recent Mondo/Alamo contributors, or are there some curveballs comin'?
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.

iratasan
Flipper

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:28 pm

mcgod wrote:
bathroommonkey wrote:
mcgod wrote:Now we have a 'series' of posters based off a 30 year old flick (a great one sure)... plus stout's warriors from Mondo a couple years ago (which won't be beat anyway)

Dear Mondo,
Enough already.
dont be a hater.
Don't hate the hater.
don't hate the hater, hate the hate. :lol:

but seriously, don't be a dick. don't like it? don't buy it.
mcnail
Art Expert

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:48 pm

pewter14 wrote:Mitch, any hints as to which artists are involved?

Are most/all of them recent Mondo/Alamo contributors, or are there some curveballs comin'?
Curveballs.
iratasan
Flipper

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:50 pm

mcnail wrote:
pewter14 wrote:Mitch, any hints as to which artists are involved?

Curveballs.
matthew ryan sharp?
pewter14
EB Team

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:01 pm

mcnail wrote: Curveballs.
Cool.

Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

jojobadass
Art God

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:05 pm

OH NOE............the phish poster market is saturated again!!
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com