Captain Watson 09 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:46 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Captain Watson 09 Fairey

chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm

For 31 years, Captain Paul Watson has been at the helm of the world's most active marine non-profit organization - Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

"I have been honored to serve the whales, dolphins, seals - and all the other creatures on this Earth. Their beauty, intelligence, strength, and spirit have inspired me. These beings have spoken to me, touched me, and I have been rewarded by friendship with many members of different species.

If the whales survive and flourish, if the seals continue to live and give birth, and if I can contribute to ensuring their future prosperity, I will be forever happy."

- Paul Watson
automator
Nobody

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:34 pm

New image Captain Watson 09 Fairey

chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:35 pm

...man this guy is a bad ass. Check this out.

In 1975, Watson served as First officer under Captain John Cormack on the voyage to confront the Soviet Whaling fleet. In June 1975, Robert Hunter and Watson were the first people to put their lives on the line to protect whales when Watson placed his inflatable Zodiac between a Russian harpoon vessel and a pod of defenseless sperm whales. During this confrontation with the Russian whaler, a harpooned and dying sperm whale loomed over Watson's small boat. Watson recognized a flicker of understanding in the dying whale's eye. He felt that the whale knew what they were trying to do. He watched as the magnificent leviathan heaved its body away from his boat, slipped beneath the waves and died. A few seconds of looking into this dying whale's eye changed his life forever. He vowed to become a lifelong defender of the whales and all creatures of the seas.

chalkdust
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:38 pm

...okay, I promise I'll stop but check this out.

Later on this campaign, in an effort to bring one of the sealing ship's operations to a halt, Watson handcuffed himself to a pile of seal pelts that were attached to the winch of a sealing vessel. When the sealers saw what he had done, they dragged him and the pile of pelts across the ice then up into the air, slamming them against the hull of the ship. Then they plunged Watson into the frigid waters several times causing him to lose feeling in his limbs and lose consciousness. Finally, when Fisheries Minister officers arrived on the scene, he was strapped to a stretcher and hoisted onboard, where the sealers almost suffocated him by pressing seal blubber over his face, then dragging him across the deck through seal fat and blood, kicking him all along the way.

rssesq
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:36 pm

cash415

Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:57 pm

not the biggest fan of the portrait, but i love the colors
gfraser
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:02 pm

paul watson is a amazing individual and a drymounting lunatic! do some research on him and what he does. also look up the film "sharkwater" which features paul watson.

that is a terrible print btw. this might be worse then bob mould.

http://www.sharkwater.com/ for the trailer. available on most torrent sites.
recycler
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:47 pm

Nice job Shep. This is a good cause - someone who I never heard about.
ryefish75
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Man, I loved that guy.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 pm

this guy is one of my heroes. that said, this is an ugly print.

once youve looked straight into the eyes of a whale and you know that its looking right back at you...its an amazing thing.
Last edited by southerngarden on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freaksmeout
Art Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm

I love the show. It's gripping. He's a good guy fighting a worthwhile fight.
Don't care for the print though and can't imaging where someone would display it? Probably on eBay. :lol:
Nothing brings humility like a good ol' shart."
cash415

Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 am

any idea if this print will be available for sale on the site?
chalkdust
Art Expert

Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:09 pm

southerngarden wrote:this guy is one of my heroes. that said, this is an ugly print.
yeah, I wish he would've used an image more like this....

IceCharts
Art Enthusiast

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:50 am

cash415 wrote:any idea if this print will be available for sale on the site?
I am curious as well. I can't wait.