Aung San Suu Kyi 09 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:24 am

ipath2003 wrote:
AKBAPE wrote:I don't think they should be in portfolio's no.
Well I have Love unites, 11th hour and POW and they are in portfolios. I have a few prints and don't have room to hang them all. So what do you suppose I do?
What's the point of having them? Just curious? How often do you look in your portfolio and admire them?
sciguru
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:24 am

ipath2003 wrote:
AKBAPE wrote:I don't think they should be in portfolio's no.
Well I have Love unites, 11th hour and POW and they are in portfolios. I have a few prints and don't have room to hang them all. So what do you suppose I do?
Sell them, so people can display them.
AKBAPE
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:26 am

sciguru wrote:
I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people who buy this print could care less about the cause, and only the fact the Fairey has signed it. I'll still try and to get it, flip it, and feed my Millard hunger.

Don't consider me immoral, just a capitalist.[/quote]
This is the exact problem with modern day capitalism. People think that it's moral to make money off of nothing. Sitting at your computer for 20 minutes pressing f5 doesn't do one thing for anyone other than yourself. Your not making anything, your not doing ANYTHING. Oh well.
pearlybaker
Flipper

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:53 am

AKBAPE wrote:This is the exact problem with modern day capitalism. People think that it's moral to make money off of nothing. Sitting at your computer for 20 minutes pressing f5 doesn't do one thing for anyone other than yourself. Your not making anything, your not doing ANYTHING. Oh well.
Yeah because "pre-modern" capitalism was so much better when people employed kids to work in hazardous jobs and provided no benefits to their workers.
Plus, there are plenty of people who couldn't be bothered waiting for a drop all day and are happy to pay a premium not to have to do it.

I'll agree with you that certain timely posters would benefit everyone more if they were on display (whether it's ebay, wall, etc) as opposed to sitting under a bed.
All right Hamilton!
sciguru
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:12 pm

AKBAPE wrote:
sciguru wrote:
I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people who buy this print could care less about the cause, and only the fact the Fairey has signed it. I'll still try and to get it, flip it, and feed my Millard hunger.

Don't consider me immoral, just a capitalist.
This is the exact problem with modern day capitalism. People think that it's moral to make money off of nothing. Sitting at your computer for 20 minutes pressing f5 doesn't do one thing for anyone other than yourself. Your not making anything, your not doing ANYTHING. Oh well.
I thought you my say something like that...but I'm not making money off nothing, I'm making money off the people who are obsessed with collecting art like this. Why not just donate the $50 you pay for the print to the cause? You need to have to something to display that says 'I donated'? There are many more things that people can do then buy a print and display it to support a cause they truly believe in.
bluedegree
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:17 pm

pearlybaker wrote:
AKBAPE wrote:This is the exact problem with modern day capitalism. People think that it's moral to make money off of nothing. Sitting at your computer for 20 minutes pressing f5 doesn't do one thing for anyone other than yourself. Your not making anything, your not doing ANYTHING. Oh well.
Yeah because "pre-modern" capitalism was so much better when people employed kids to work in hazardous jobs and provided no benefits to their workers.
Plus, there are plenty of people who couldn't be bothered waiting for a drop all day and are happy to pay a premium not to have to do it.

I'll agree with you that certain timely posters would benefit everyone more if they were on display (whether it's ebay, wall, etc) as opposed to sitting under a bed.
You don't think there are child laborers all throughout the capitalist empire right now?

The folks who brought you child labor protection, the 40-hour work week, worker rights, and on and on were unions.

For the fruits of capitalism, see the current economic Chernobyl, the health insurance joke,
the Amazon, etc.
jimmy4wmu wrote: the cart is empty like my soul
pearlybaker
Flipper

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:35 pm

bluedegree wrote:
pearlybaker wrote:

You don't think there are child laborers all throughout the capitalist empire right now?

The folks who brought you child labor protection, the 40-hour work week, worker rights, and on and on were unions.

For the fruits of capitalism, see the current economic Chernobyl, the health insurance joke,
the Amazon, etc.
You missed my point - "capitalism" is just that - there is no "modern" or current day version , etc. nor is it any worse today than it ever has been. Since the beginning and ad infinitum there will be people who will sell anything for a profit - my personal favorite was the "selling of indulgences" that the church offered - talk about flip potential.
All right Hamilton!
bluedegree
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:48 pm

pearlybaker wrote:
my personal favorite was the "selling of indulgences" that the church offered - talk about flip potential.
Ew, yeah -- pennies for heaven -- good gig
I read you now, ground control
jimmy4wmu wrote: the cart is empty like my soul
forbin99
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:51 pm

can't wait to flip this and then burn the money in front of starving children.
Catarax
Art Expert

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:03 pm

there's nothing wrong with people selling prints that are in there portfolio that they will never display... esp. if it's going to someone who will frame it and admire it.. and selling them could actually be a good thing if the money gained goes towards getting a print from another person's portfolio that would go undisplayed as well..

if people are selling prints to buy crack then i can sympathize with your quarrel.. but most people here started off with these crap prints and after getting a collection going on, they sell them to get that ISO they couldn't afford..

prints are like coupons to get better prints, either through a trade or a flip... :banana:
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
theomont
Art Expert

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:17 pm

AKBAPE wrote:This is one flip that I think is completely immoral to flip. Let these go to people who want them and will put them on the wall. If it's gonna be in a folder with the DOH's just don't buy it. This image needs to get out there, people need to see it, and the situation in Burma needs to change.
:rolling: :crazy: :banana:
http://theomont.blogspot.com - check it if you get a chance.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Release discussion thread is here, ya donkeys:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?t=37757
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Catarax
Art Expert

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:30 pm

AKBAPE wrote: This is the exact problem with modern day capitalism. People think that it's moral to make money off of nothing. Sitting at your computer for 20 minutes pressing f5 doesn't do one thing for anyone other than yourself. Your not making anything, your not doing ANYTHING. Oh well.

it's funny you would say that, since I offered to buy your Chocolate Vandal for the price you listed it for a month ago ($230) and never recieved a response even though it was read.. and then to see you sold it for more today... i guess that's capitalism for ya.. holding out, not doing anything to make money off of nothing...
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
ipath2003
Art Expert

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Catarax wrote:
AKBAPE wrote: This is the exact problem with modern day capitalism. People think that it's moral to make money off of nothing. Sitting at your computer for 20 minutes pressing f5 doesn't do one thing for anyone other than yourself. Your not making anything, your not doing ANYTHING. Oh well.

it's funny you would say that, since I offered to buy your Chocolate Vandal for the price you listed it for a month ago ($230) and never recieved a response even though it was read.. and then to see you sold it for more today... i guess that's capitalism for ya.. holding out, not doing anything to make money off of nothing...

:shock:

lazk
Art Expert

Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 pm

This is the funniest "message" I have seen in awhile. You have a large agenda and probably need to get started immediately. It will take you awhile to change the moral dilemma of society. I would start with the handouts by the U.S. Government Welfare System. There are plenty who make money "off of nothing". Tell me how that works out......
T.K.C.