Stairway to London 09 Mr Brainwash

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ReverendToneZone
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:23 pm

ColonelCash wrote:After seeing some of his other works, these London promos are a let down...I jumped on the Stones print and now I'm stuck trying unload it without losing money.
Buy only what you like my friend, you won't have to worry about losing money or unloading anything. Don't buy the hype.
BWarn
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:29 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:
BWarn wrote:
dangerboy wrote:haters aside, the fudge sells out. if you don't like, don't buy. why make a concerted effort to run the fudge down, though? i don't personally care for very much that emek does, or horkey, but you don't find me in their art threads running their fudge down, questioning their abilities, and saying that the people that buy it are stupid.
Exactly. I have never seen a thing that Horkey has done that I've even remotely thought was good. It reminds me of hokey 70's stoner, blacklight prints and I feel I've seen it done a thousand times over. But I've never thought, "hey there's a thread about Horkey's new print, I better rush in there and tell everyone that I don't like it and have never liked any of his stuff."

That's not to say that criticism shouldn't be voiced, but it's always the same people just crapping on the stuff, saying the same comment every time, when the comment wasn't even remotely insightful the first time it was thrown out there.
at least horkey hand draws everything he does. at the very least you gotta respect that. i'll be the 1st to admit that art is subjective and to each their own. if i could photoshop a pic, sign it and sell it for $100 you bet your ass i'd be all over it. this dude wouldnt be doing this fudge if noone was buying it, trust me. i agree that if you don't like something move on and don't continuously junk up threads with your opinion. there is plenty of 'art' on this site that i dislike but i very rarely comment on it. my comment earlier in this thread was just me being honest. maybe making fudge tons of cash is easier than most people think.
First off, I'm not sure about others, but I wasn't singling your comment out.

I've had this discussion before. Sure Horkey hand draws his stuff, I couldn't do it, most people couldn't, he definitely has artistic skill, but is that all art is? If is why isn't there a competition every year to see who can most accurately draw a fruit bowl, a nude model, and an outdoor scene, name that person the best artist of the year and end all this bickering about who the better artist is.

We don't do this because, as you said, art is subjective and isn't necessarily about the physical skill involved but also the thought behind the art.

By the way, you know who else has tremendous physical artistic skill? Thomas Kincade.

Lets take some post-mod stuff where the art piece is simply an orange square painted on a canvas. Now this isn't my cup of tea when it comes to art, but it has become accepted as art. Why? Most people will say they can do it, and most can, it is not that hard to take a ruler, draw four even, straight sides and fill it in with orange paint. But the fact is, as much as everyone says they can do it, could do it, they didn't.

Now, Brainwash wasn't the first person to paint the metaphoric orange square so he doesn't and shouldn't get the leeway that a true originator of an artistic movement gets. This at best leaves him as a follower or off-shoot of a Warhol Pop-art style/movement. Should he get crapped on just because Warhol came before? Horkey wasn't the first to do what he does by a long shot.

I don't know, I guess it comes down to personal taste, but it strikes me as funny when someone comes into one of these threads saying how horrible these prints are and then I look at their collection and see Phish prints which are some of the most horrid pieces of "art" I have ever seen. I don't mind the criticism leveled at any artist, but come out with something more than, "look, another Mr. Suckwash print!ahahahahaha!!!!@" Ya know?
banstylejbo

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:30 pm

cardhawks wrote:I'm not sure it's weak....that's a judgement call.... a lot of the lowbrow stuff is weak and ESPECIALLY the street artist stuff...and if you want to talk weak just look at all the stuff released everyday and over 80% of it is weak IMO... but peeps just like to blast the MBW stuff here on EB for some reason....

There's still tought behind it and it still has to be screened AND alot of it goes up on a wall somewhere in someone's city...so I'm not sure that weak is what I'd call it....it's just street art and apparently there are several people that happen to like it so why do peeps keep coming in the MBW threads and leaving big shits behind??? I don't understand your motivation to do so... go fudge in a Fairey , Banksy or Faile thread
I'm with you, 80% of the stuff out there is weak. If it was all good then I think we'd all be a lot poorer. :wink:
I hardly ever go poo-pooing in threads, even for artists I am not a big fan of like Fairey or MBW. I just happened to see this one the other day and maybe its just my frustration with this whole "arms-race" of artists, to grab as many iconic images and throw out prints as fast as possible, that made me want to actually post something.
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:40 pm

if these prints had some color to them, there would be less criticism..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
blazedoutbee
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Can't wait for my Stones prints to get framed! I love :heart: the Stones and I would of bought these regardless, gonna hang these in the smoke room.... :ziggi:
BWarn
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:47 pm

banstylejbo wrote:
cardhawks wrote:I'm not sure it's weak....that's a judgement call.... a lot of the lowbrow stuff is weak and ESPECIALLY the street artist stuff...and if you want to talk weak just look at all the stuff released everyday and over 80% of it is weak IMO... but peeps just like to blast the MBW stuff here on EB for some reason....

There's still tought behind it and it still has to be screened AND alot of it goes up on a wall somewhere in someone's city...so I'm not sure that weak is what I'd call it....it's just street art and apparently there are several people that happen to like it so why do peeps keep coming in the MBW threads and leaving big shits behind??? I don't understand your motivation to do so... go fudge in a Fairey , Banksy or Faile thread
I'm with you, 80% of the stuff out there is weak. If it was all good then I think we'd all be a lot poorer. :wink:
I hardly ever go poo-pooing in threads, even for artists I am not a big fan of like Fairey or MBW. I just happened to see this one the other day and maybe its just my frustration with this whole "arms-race" of artists, to grab as many iconic images and throw out prints as fast as possible, that made me want to actually post something.
I'm curious Banstyle, you have quite a few Rob Jones prints, what more does Jones do that MBW doesn't?

And I now realize that I'm coming off as way more of a MBW backer than I should, I like some of his stuff, other stuff I think is dumb, but the criticisms against him often seem shallow, no less shallow than people are claiming his work is.

P.S. Don't hate me for this question, banstyle, as I'd like to buy some of those Jones prints off you soon :wink:
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:54 pm

bwarn....didnt wanna quote you as that quote is quite long enough already....i know you werent singling me out...my post was actually pretty mild comparatively speaking. i just decided to mix it up a bit today for no particular reason. you make great points. my point was arguing over art is silly since its subjective but regardless of personal taste its much easier to respect and appreciate an artist that puts thought, time and effort into everything they do. horkey certainly isnt the only guy doing it...i singled him out because you did.
banstylejbo

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:03 pm

BWarn wrote:
banstylejbo wrote:

I'm curious Banstyle, you have quite a few Rob Jones prints, what more does Jones do that MBW doesn't?

And I now realize that I'm coming off as way more of a MBW backer than I should, I like some of his stuff, other stuff I think is dumb, but the criticisms against him often seem shallow, no less shallow than people are claiming his work is.

P.S. Don't hate me for this question, banstyle, as I'd like to buy some of those Jones prints off you soon :wink:
I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts, but its probably been buried by now, but I don't hate MBW. Some of his earlier stuff I find amusing or clever, like his Run DMC, Spock, and a few others. But I think the difference between those and this series of his is that whereas those prints had more of a punk spark, this London series just smells like a quick money-maker to me. The ideas and the freshness just aren't there for me.

Now, I do have a lot of Rob Jones stuff and not all of it I like (I bought a few sets of his stuff, so I had to take the good with the bad). And you're right, they are both similar in some regards, but where I think Rob Jones outclasses MBW is in the fact that Rob incorporates many more elements into his work and creates a new image from many parts of others. Most MBW works have just one picture with a filter over it and maybe some spray paint or a can photoshopped in. Whereas Rob Jones has a sort of collage style of art, MBW has a more pop art approach, even though they both use the cut-and-paste/borrowed aesthetic. The issue I have with pop art (more than some other styles) is that when the image isn't strong, the idea needs to be there to support it. That just isn't the case on the London prints to me. I hope that makes sense to someone besides me. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
Last edited by banstylejbo on Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:08 pm

oh, and its funny you mentioned kinkade cause my wife loves him. we have 2 of his pieces hanging in our house.
dangerboy
Flipper

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:52 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:art is subjective so to say it's weak is a bit of a stretch. one thing is for certain, and i think this is what turns alot of folks off, is that there isn't much thought or effort put into it.
i don't buy this. how long did it take him to think up having han solo and chewie as pilots, with lenin meeting lennon on the staircase? maybe 2 seconds. maybe 6 months. how do we know? effort is in the eye of the beholder as well. to some people, being clever enough to do fudge like that is as impressive a skill as one with a steady hand who draws intricate lines....
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
dangerboy
Flipper

Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:56 pm

lightyears2010 wrote:bwarn....didnt wanna quote you as that quote is quite long enough already....i know you werent singling me out...my post was actually pretty mild comparatively speaking. i just decided to mix it up a bit today for no particular reason. you make great points. my point was arguing over art is silly since its subjective but regardless of personal taste its much easier to respect and appreciate an artist that puts thought, time and effort into everything they do. horkey certainly isnt the only guy doing it...i singled him out because you did.
for the record i used emek and horkey as examples because they are two of the HUGEST artists in the game right now, and frankly for my personal taste they fit the bill. i could have named two more artists, but i swung wide to catch as many fish as possible.....
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
phishbeatles
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:40 pm

"look, another Mr. Suckwash print!ahahahahaha!!!!@"
"thanks for doing that for us slow people!!" Jojodumbass
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:00 pm

I haven't seen those prints you're talking about dangerboy so I can't comment on them. I'm just saying the zep print is a blatant cash grab that's all. I'm not a MBW hater by any means. More power to him for cashing in the craze banksy created. I haven't paid much attention to his work but he seems like a poor man's banksy to me. I just don't dig artists that majored in photoshop with a minor in spraypaint but that's me. This print looks like something I woulda bought for five bucks at my local indie CD store and tacked to my bedroom wall when I was 14. Having said that, I'll repeat, my hats off to him for cashing in. Can't blame a man for taking his slice of the pie.
phistory
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:05 pm

i like this print...so i think i will buy it...my first brainwashing...my gf really likes this compared to some of the crap i end up with from much more famous artists....with that said...a lot of people have a lot to say about art they don't want.
Listen to my last words...they might be what i just said. --D.Mustane.
AceO
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:10 pm

pjtaper wrote:
sciguru wrote:Why is MBW getting more hype than Ian MIllard. Dude is coming out with sick super limited edition custom art work for $100 and it still hasn't sold out. He blows Shepard and MBW out of the water. Ian's stuff is actually worth collecting and putting on your walls, not just flipping. I flip OBEY to get buy stuff like this for no cost to me.

http://www.iansprints.com/available-art.php
Great post!

Well said!

IAN ---- IAN ---- IAN----

Definately one of the hardest working artists out there.....I love the free magnet "prints" he puts up on mail boxes, street lights, signs, etc. in and around the cities where he has art shows. I found a few around Pollock's studio open house last year.....awesome. He has to be one of the most underrated street artists out there!