Stairway to London 09 Mr Brainwash

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
banstylejbo

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 am

As long as people are going to just go buy these hack prints, the poster artists have no reason to stop riding their new-found fad of making prints of random photos of popular musicians or celebrities, charging high prices, and making a killing off it.

They get tons of money for little to no thought or artistic skill. Why the hell would they stop doing this if they can keep selling out $80-100 prints that take them no time to whip up with a filter in [insert photo/image editing software]? If an artist like Slater or Millard is going to spend time coming up with an idea, executing it, and making a nice print with good inks and colors, but they can only sell their stuff for $30-40 each, and MBW can grab an image off a google image search, run a filter or two on it, then print it up and charge $100, he'd be a fool to stop. He has no incentive to produce better work.

MBW's earlier stuff was at least clever or it at least seemed like he put a little thought into it. The stuff he's been putting out lately, especially the London series, seems like a mad cash grab before his meal ticket kicks it. He puts out at least one or more of these prints every week. I mean it is blatantly obvious he is cranking these out without putting in much effort. Sure, he might print them on some nice paper, but nice paper is just nice paper. It is what is on the paper that counts, and to me these posters just aren't cutting it for what they want for them.
Last edited by banstylejbo on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pjtaper
Art Freak

Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 am

sciguru wrote:Why is MBW getting more hype than Ian MIllard. Dude is coming out with sick super limited edition custom art work for $100 and it still hasn't sold out. He blows Shepard and MBW out of the water. Ian's stuff is actually worth collecting and putting on your walls, not just flipping. I flip OBEY to get buy stuff like this for no cost to me.

http://www.iansprints.com/available-art.php
Great post!
s_k_y
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:25 pm

I hope his London show bombs.

I already regret buying the Stones print...didn't think he'd be coming out with a new 'London' print(s) per week.

For some reason I get the impression that the European collectors haven't embraced him as much as the Carson Daly's of the US have....
mattlew69
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:31 pm

banstylejbo wrote:As long as people are going to just go buy these hack prints, the poster artists have no reason to stop riding their new-found fad of making prints of random photos of popular musicians or celebrities, charging high prices, and making a killing off it.

They get tons of money for little to no thought or artistic skill. Why the hell would they stop doing this if they can keep selling out $80-100 prints that take them no time to whip up with a filter in [insert photo/image editing software]? If an artist like Slater or Millard is going to spend time coming up with an idea, executing it, and making a nice print with good inks and colors, but they can only sell their stuff for $30-40 each, and MBW can grab an image off a google image search, run a filter or two on it, then print it up and charge $100, he'd be a fool to stop. He has no incentive to produce better work.

MBW's earlier stuff was at least clever or it at least seemed like he put a little thought into it. The stuff he's been putting out lately, especially the London series, seems like a mad cash grab before his meal ticket kicks it. He puts out at least one or more of these prints every week. I mean it is blatantly obvious he is cranking these out without putting in much effort. Sure, he might print them on some nice paper, nice paper is just nice paper. It is what is on the paper that counts and to me, these posters just aren't cutting it for what they want for them.
:clap: Nice post.

I wish i could do something that took little time and effort and make such a killing. Thats the American way isnt it?
kevkevkev
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:38 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

i have never liked anything print mafia have ever done. the colours look yuck.

buy some grafter stuff people/.
dangerboy
Flipper

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:40 pm

haters aside, the fudge sells out. if you don't like, don't buy. why make a concerted effort to run the fudge down, though? i don't personally care for very much that emek does, or horkey, but you don't find me in their art threads running their fudge down, questioning their abilities, and saying that the people that buy it are stupid.
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:09 pm

mattlew69 wrote: :clap: Nice post.

I wish i could do something that took little time and effort and make such a killing. Thats the American way isnt it?
Art is easy. Hype is hard. Talk is cheap. Personas sell.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride..."

It's one thing to have a product and another thing entirely to create the hype and fanbase to move it. This is to say nothing of the artistic merit of his pieces, just the logistics involved in selling the amount of art that Mr. Brainwash does. I'm personally not much of a fan of any of "his" one color Photoshopped prints, but I do like some of his other stuff quite a bit. Most artists seem pretty terrible at business (which is a good thing for the art anyway). Brainwash has that down, although I'd like to see more consistency on the art side.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:38 pm

After seeing some of his other works, these London promos are a let down...I jumped on the Stones print and now I'm stuck trying unload it without losing money.
BWarn
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:43 pm

dangerboy wrote:haters aside, the fudge sells out. if you don't like, don't buy. why make a concerted effort to run the fudge down, though? i don't personally care for very much that emek does, or horkey, but you don't find me in their art threads running their fudge down, questioning their abilities, and saying that the people that buy it are stupid.
Exactly. I have never seen a thing that Horkey has done that I've even remotely thought was good. It reminds me of hokey 70's stoner, blacklight prints and I feel I've seen it done a thousand times over. But I've never thought, "hey there's a thread about Horkey's new print, I better rush in there and tell everyone that I don't like it and have never liked any of his stuff."

That's not to say that criticism shouldn't be voiced, but it's always the same people just crapping on the stuff, saying the same comment every time, when the comment wasn't even remotely insightful the first time it was thrown out there.
Catarax
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm

nah.. they are right.. these london prints are cheap..
sixstringer wrote: I don't care how they look...I just want to pop off the top and huff the tube!
cardhawks
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:31 pm

ColonelCash wrote:After seeing some of his other works, these London promos are a let down...I jumped on the Stones print and now I'm stuck trying unload it without losing money.
why did you buy it if you didn't like it? not trying to sound mean or anything but I just bought the Zep because I'm a fan of the band and happen to like about 3/4 of the MBW stuff. I don't think $100 is too much for a nice artprint and I don't care if it is a photoshopped print (afterall before photoshop what did they call it when Andy Warhol took pictures ala Marilyn Monroe and "souped" :D them up into some classic art..)

sounds like a lot of peeps are finding their hypocracy hard to deal with in the Brainwash threads
banstylejbo

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:45 pm

I think the overall criticism of this piece and many of MBW's other pieces as of late is that you look at it and then you say to yourself: "dude, seriously?" If you're going to make a $100 print on some nice paper, at least put more effort into it than photoshopping a spray can and "London" onto a filtered image.

Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what art is good, but I think most of us here have seen enough prints and posters that we can spot a weak effort and call it out.
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:07 pm

BWarn wrote:
dangerboy wrote:haters aside, the fudge sells out. if you don't like, don't buy. why make a concerted effort to run the fudge down, though? i don't personally care for very much that emek does, or horkey, but you don't find me in their art threads running their fudge down, questioning their abilities, and saying that the people that buy it are stupid.
Exactly. I have never seen a thing that Horkey has done that I've even remotely thought was good. It reminds me of hokey 70's stoner, blacklight prints and I feel I've seen it done a thousand times over. But I've never thought, "hey there's a thread about Horkey's new print, I better rush in there and tell everyone that I don't like it and have never liked any of his stuff."

That's not to say that criticism shouldn't be voiced, but it's always the same people just crapping on the stuff, saying the same comment every time, when the comment wasn't even remotely insightful the first time it was thrown out there.
at least horkey hand draws everything he does. at the very least you gotta respect that. i'll be the 1st to admit that art is subjective and to each their own. if i could photoshop a pic, sign it and sell it for $100 you bet your ass i'd be all over it. this dude wouldnt be doing this fudge if noone was buying it, trust me. i agree that if you don't like something move on and don't continuously junk up threads with your opinion. there is plenty of 'art' on this site that i dislike but i very rarely comment on it. my comment earlier in this thread was just me being honest. maybe making fudge tons of cash is easier than most people think.
cardhawks
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:14 pm

banstylejbo wrote:I think the overall criticism of this piece and many of MBW's other pieces as of late is that you look at it and then you say to yourself: "dude, seriously?" If you're going to make a $100 print on some nice paper, at least put more effort into it than photoshopping a spray can and "London" onto a filtered image.

Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what art is good, but I think most of us here have seen enough prints and posters that we can spot a weak effort and call it out.
I'm not sure it's weak....that's a judgement call.... a lot of the lowbrow stuff is weak and ESPECIALLY the street artist stuff...and if you want to talk weak just look at all the stuff released everyday and over 80% of it is weak IMO... but peeps just like to blast the MBW stuff here on EB for some reason....

There's still tought behind it and it still has to be screened AND alot of it goes up on a wall somewhere in someone's city...so I'm not sure that weak is what I'd call it....it's just street art and apparently there are several people that happen to like it so why do peeps keep coming in the MBW threads and leaving big shits behind??? I don't understand your motivation to do so... go fudge in a Fairey , Banksy or Faile thread
lightyears2010
Art Expert

Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:18 pm

art is subjective so to say it's weak is a bit of a stretch. one thing is for certain, and i think this is what turns alot of folks off, is that there isn't much thought or effort put into it.