Melvins Portland 09 Burwell

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ricv64
Art Expert

Tue May 26, 2009 5:29 pm

El Greco , try that one nljdj , composition is closer to that or baroque with the use of the curtin device. super print guy
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
nljdj
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 26, 2009 6:35 pm

ricv64 wrote:El Greco , try that one nljdj , composition is closer to that or baroque with the use of the curtin device. super print guy
Wrong. The subject matter might look similar.

Do you see any hard defined lines within this image that give the 3d aspect of the image away? I do not.

... in these images there is a lot of modeling going on (which is the use of value and curo scuro-ish [light to dark]).

Lets compare everything, shall we?
burwell...

el greco...

picasso....

What I was saying is that the use of width and line is quite similar (as we can obviously see from the images) to Picasso's work. The use of color (in which there is NO local color used) is also the same.

El Greco's images heavily depend on the use of local color (which is representational color of objects, things etc.) NO heavy surreal colors have been used yet in this time period (for one they have not been produced with the natural elements of the earth in the 17th century...). He also does a great deal of modeling (which is the range of value within a color that depicts light / darkness and 3d form). This does not represent Guy Burwell's style (of this image) one bit. Again we can see Guy's use of heavy line that throws any chance of dimension away, his use of color, shape and form. Less abstract than a Picasso, of course, but the techniques used still remain. All I had said that is resembles the way a Picasso would typically look (..."very picasso-ish"). We can obviously see from the compared images which artist Burwell most likely pulled influence from in this piece.

The only thing you were close to hitting is subject matter, and it is somewhat obvious you were swinging in the dark. Next? :pint:
fredo
Art God

Tue May 26, 2009 6:49 pm

Not one bit? Isn''t burwell using a form of light manipulation/modeling/whatever to create depth in the face and upper chest area? Maybe I am misunderstanding something/everything.
just a foil for me today, thanks
nljdj
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 26, 2009 7:52 pm

fredo wrote:Not one bit? Isn''t burwell using a form of light manipulation/modeling/whatever to create depth in the face and upper chest area? Maybe I am misunderstanding something/everything.

:lol:
aahnutz
EB Team

Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 pm

nljdj wrote:The only thing you were close to hitting is subject matter, and it is somewhat obvious you were swinging in the dark. Next? :pint:
nljdj wrote: :lol:
Everyone will have to excuse the obnoxious little prick. He's going to "art school". And he really has no idea what he is talking about nor to whom about the subject.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
nljdj
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 pm

aahnutz wrote:
nljdj wrote:The only thing you were close to hitting is subject matter, and it is somewhat obvious you were swinging in the dark. Next? :pint:
nljdj wrote: :lol:
Everyone will have to excuse the obnoxious little prick. He's going to "art school". And he really has no idea what he is talking about nor to whom about the subject.
I thought an intelligent conversation about art (for a change) instead of personal attacks like "little prick" would be a change. Guess I can't find that here.

You know if I were wrong I would love to be enlightened, but you obviously have no insight besides a burnt out "momma" or penis joke.....

I see thee insight..... :notworthy:
aahnutz
EB Team

Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm

The problem is you are not engaging in "intelligent conversation". Not when you're telling other people they're wrong, then ending it with "Next. :pint: " and " :lol: " There are some great art minds here whose opinions I value. It wouldn't hurt to listen to what they have to offer rather than dismiss them because their interpretation is not something you agree with. Think about it. My apologies to the other members for veering somewhat off topic, but I felt it needed to be said. Have a good evening.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue May 26, 2009 10:06 pm

art babble is boring unless it's coming from the artist.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
nljdj
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 26, 2009 10:09 pm

aahnutz wrote:The problem is you are not engaging in "intelligent conversation". Not when you're telling other people they're wrong, then ending it with "Next. :pint: " and " :lol: " There are some great art minds here whose opinions I value. It wouldn't hurt to listen to what they have to offer rather than dismiss them because their interpretation is not something you agree with. Think about it. My apologies to the other members for veering somewhat off topic, but I felt it needed to be said. Have a good evening.
I totally agree. Calling someone "super print guy" doesn't start the intelligent conversation off to a good foot. Neither does "obnoxious little prick".

:fight:
nljdj
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 pm

jojobadass wrote:art babble is boring unless it's coming from the artist.
I would disagree here as well. I would say art historians and other educated individuals interpret art just like a language. If there were no one to do so, then a picture or painting would just be a freeking image with no message.......
nljdj
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 26, 2009 10:12 pm

aahnutz wrote:Have a good evening.
oh sorry. good night.
:pint:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed May 27, 2009 1:15 am

I'm offended.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jojobadass
Art God

Wed May 27, 2009 8:19 am

nljdj wrote:
I would disagree here as well. I would say art historians and other educated individuals interpret art just like a language. If there were no one to do so, then a picture or painting would just be a freeking image with no message.......

art means something different to different people..........so, why do I need an art expert to tell me what it is susposed to be? or, how I'm susposed to feel? That said, why would I listen to a sophmoric response from someone who thinks they are an art expert? Seriously, if you're so interested, why don't you ask the artist what his inspiration was for a piece?..........instead of speculating about it like some know-it-all. That dialog would be much more interesting than what you are providing.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
hatredofhuds
Art Expert

Wed May 27, 2009 9:42 am

nljdj wrote:This is pretty bad ass, wish it was not a concert poster. Very Pablo Picasso ish... :clap:
:lol: :pint:
fredo
Art God

Wed May 27, 2009 10:15 am

I get a bullshit little emoticon for asking a serious question?
waaaaaaaaaah! <sobs>
Ah, well...Makes no nevermind on me what'n yiz edjumicatid peeplz be thankin' 'bout a bunch a homo painters anyhow.

This poster rules any which way you look at it.
just a foil for me today, thanks