Disintegration 07 Chueh Release Discussion 02/19/09

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
automator
Nobody

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:04 pm

This topic is dedicated to release discussion for Disintegration 07 Chueh - Giclee

jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm going to play "blame the ecomony" here. I love this print, but I'm just not sure if I can swing the $225 + shipping. Really torn...
sir_smokealot
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:24 pm

damn. Don't have the funds available.
I forgot this was onsale today.
Go tell the women that we're leaving.
fluffhead13
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Shipping them flat for $40 (265 total). All well worth it. I'm gonna have to sell off some smaller stuff now though. My 2nd Chueh and my all-time fav Luke print. Cant wait!
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:12 pm

jjbehren wrote:I'm going to play "blame the ecomony" here. I love this print, but I'm just not sure if I can swing the $225 + shipping. Really torn...
I won't even blame the economy. I love his stuff it just seems overpriced to me personally. I think that's false logic on my part because the images are "simple" and so seem like they should cost less but I can't help it. By the same logic I feel like i'm getting a bargain whenever I buy a horkey piece!
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
pewter14
EB Team

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm with the majority here ... really like it ... don't $250+ like it.

btw ... if anyone has one of the monkeys with hats, the prints out of 25, and wants to unload it or trade it ... let me know ...
mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
sabotage
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:22 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:
jjbehren wrote:I'm going to play "blame the ecomony" here. I love this print, but I'm just not sure if I can swing the $225 + shipping. Really torn...
I won't even blame the economy. I love his stuff it just seems overpriced to me personally. I think that's false logic on my part because the images are "simple" and so seem like they should cost less but I can't help it. By the same logic I feel like i'm getting a bargain whenever I buy a horkey piece!
I tend to agree. I think Luke's work is "cute". Its got those bears with very dark undertones. the images are simplistic though. It probably takes Luke all of a day to do a painting. The ideas are what make Chueh's images different though. Any art teacher or amateur artist can draw bears as good as these. IMO, these images will never stand the test of time, in 20 years we will not be talking about Luke Chueh's bears. I think $225 for a print, even though its huge, that has been previously released as a print on canvas, is a little too much.
cadeallaw
Art Expert

Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:37 pm

I got Luke Chuehs Honey Bear because i love the image Image... and I thought it was well worth the price. This one, i'm not as impressed with, although I do like it.

The Luke Chueh bargain of the century was getting his screenprint, edition of 100, for $25.00 from the Linkiln (spelling) Park website.
crazyreesie
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:21 pm

sabotage wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:
I tend to agree. I think Luke's work is "cute". Its got those bears with very dark undertones. the images are simplistic though. It probably takes Luke all of a day to do a painting. The ideas are what make Chueh's images different though. Any art teacher or amateur artist can draw bears as good as these. IMO, these images will never stand the test of time, in 20 years we will not be talking about Luke Chueh's bears. I think $225 for a print, even though its huge, that has been previously released as a print on canvas, is a little too much.
I think it's a little harsh to assume it doesn't take him long to do a painting. I love the bears and their situations, but I'm often blown away by the gradients in the backgrounds of his work (and that's just from images online; I haven't yet seen one in person). It takes me a long damn time to work and blend the paint to get it right (of course, I'm no professional). :whistle:

I agree overall, though. I love this piece, but it's a bit too big and the price is a little steep.
T-Dub13
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 pm

crazyreesie wrote:
sabotage wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:
I think it's a little harsh to assume it doesn't take him long to do a painting. I love the bears and their situations, but I'm often blown away by the gradients in the backgrounds of his work (and that's just from images online; I haven't yet seen one in person). It takes me a long damn time to work and blend the paint to get it right (of course, I'm no professional). :whistle:

I agree overall, though. I love this piece, but it's a bit too big and the price is a little steep.
The detail in the shading is what makes the print. He starts with a white canvas, paints the whole thing black & goes from there. This is why most of his releases are giclee, to pick up the detail. Just compare the jpeg of giclee vs screen print of possesed revisited and you will see the difference...night & day
droow
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:21 pm

i have to say,

i got mine this morning and have to say it is without any doubt the best quality print i've seen.

and it really is huge!!!