Obama Hope 08 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
scrubjay
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:45 pm

people are bidding them up :roll:
jimmyhoops
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:28 pm

The plot thickens....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/10/arts/ ... 0fair.html

Artist Sues the A.P. Over Obama Image

By RANDY KENNEDY

Published: February 9, 2009

In a pre-emptive strike, the street artist Shepard Fairey filed a lawsuit on Monday against The Associated Press, asking a federal judge to declare that he is protected from copyright infringement claims in his use of a news photograph as the basis for a now ubiquitous campaign poster image of President Obama.

The suit was filed in federal court in Manhattan after The Associated Press said it had determined that it owned the image, which Mr. Fairey used for posters and stickers distributed grass-roots style last year during the election campaign. The photo, showing Mr. Obama at the National Press Club in April 2006, was taken for The A.P. by a freelance photographer, Mannie Garcia.

According to the suit, A.P. officials contacted Mr. Fairey’s studio late last month demanding payment for the use of the photo and a portion of any money he makes from it.

Mr. Fairey’s lawyers, including Anthony T. Falzone, the executive director of the Fair Use Project and a law professor at Stanford University, contend in the suit that Mr. Fairey used the photograph only as a reference and transformed it into a “stunning, abstracted and idealized visual image that created powerful new meaning and conveys a radically different message” from that of the shot Mr. Garcia took.

The suit asks the judge to declare that Mr. Fairey’s work is protected under fair-use exceptions to copyright law, which allow limited use of copyrighted materials for purposes like criticism or comment.

“Fairey did not do anything wrong,” said Julie A. Ahrens, associate director of the Fair Use Project and another of Mr. Fairey’s lawyers, in a statement on Monday. “He should not have to put up with misguided threats from The A.P.” Paul Colford, a spokesman for The A.P., said on Monday that the agency was “disappointed by the surprise filing by Shepard Fairey and his company and by Mr. Fairey’s failure to recognize the rights of photographers in their works.”

He added: “A.P. was in the middle of settlement discussions with Mr. Fairey’s attorney last week in order to resolve this amicably and made it clear that a settlement would benefit the A.P. Emergency Relief Fund, a charitable fund that supports A.P. journalists around the world who suffer personal loss from natural disasters and conflicts.”

Mr. Fairey, 38, has become one of the most visible practitioners of a guerrilla-style art that has grown out of the graffiti scene but has expanded beyond paint to include a wide variety of techniques and materials, producing works usually displayed illegally on buildings and signs.

Mr. Fairey decided to create the image on his own before contacting the Obama campaign, which welcomed it but never officially adopted it because of copyright concerns. Before the election, Mr. Fairey was best known for his fake-advertising stickers and posters, pasted in cities across the country, showing an ominous, abstracted image of the wrestler Andre the Giant along with the word “Obey.”

Mr. Fairey is the focus of a retrospective that opened last week at the Institute of Contemporary Art in Boston. (In a development that was not much of a surprise, he was arrested there on Friday, accused of illegally pasting his work in places around Boston; he has pleaded not guilty.) A collaged work made by Mr. Fairey based on his Obama poster was acquired last month by the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, part of the Smithsonian Institution, and placed in its permanent collection.

After Mr. Obama’s victory, speculation increased about which picture had served as the basis for Mr. Fairey’s posters. In interviews the artist said that it was one he had found on the Internet. Bloggers, including the Manhattan gallery owner James Danziger, pursued several leads until, according to the lawsuit, Tom Gralish, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer for The Philadelphia Inquirer, helped track down a photo by Mr. Garcia that showed Mr. Obama sitting beside the actor George Clooney at a 2006 event about Darfur at the National Press Club.

Further complicating the dispute, Mr. Garcia contends that he, not The Associated Press, owns the copyright for the photo, according to his contract with the The A.P. at the time. In a telephone interview on Monday, Mr. Garcia said he was unsure how he would proceed now that the matter had landed in court. But he said he was very happy when he found out that his photo was the source of the poster image and that he still is.

“I don’t condone people taking things, just because they can, off the Internet,” Mr. Garcia said. “But in this case I think it’s a very unique situation.”

He added, “If you put all the legal stuff away, I’m so proud of the photograph and that Fairey did what he did artistically with it, and the effect it’s had.”
~JimmyHoops...Widespread Panic and Grateful Dead Poster Fanatic!
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:16 am

these Artist Proofs that have been all over ebay are so bunk. i feel bad for the people buying em, especially since they are paying extra for em.
Who deserves the R2D2 cookie jar more? The Star Wars fan, or the Cookie Jar nut?
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:46 pm

These were taken from the last "AP" sales:

Image Image
Image Image

Discuss
exadore
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Looks like some phishy sales to me.

I might go through my collection and make everything an AP, too.
latetotheshow wrote:Flipping is like jerking off. Everyone does it, but nobody wants to get caught.
Steven Novella wrote:Where confusion reigns, opinion is king.
mondiablue
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I would never buy an AP unless it has rock-solid provenance. Truly sad.
Allegedly.
aahnutz
EB Team

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:52 pm

exadore wrote:Looks like some phishy sales to me.
Oof! Those are pretty bad.
The information contained in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Expressobeans.com (EB) and shall not be held to limit the rights of EB under the Fair Use Doctrine or any other federal, state, or local law which may be applicable.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:53 pm

if it is on the usual thick paper then you are golden

if it is on thin paster paper then you are stupid
mmmm Beer :pint:
But-we-unleashed-a-lion
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Kdh12 wrote:if it is on the usual thick paper then you are golden

So you are saying that if we erase the number and write AP we are OK? :lol:

And,
Hope 1st = 600 --------- 279 sold - 46.5%
Hope AP= 60 max??----- 42 sold - 70%

Knowing that APs usually are sold to real collectors and AP edition may be out of 30 this is definitely a problem
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 pm

there was 100 hopes offsets at some event shortly after the original onsale, except they were only signed not numbered. given away to the first 100 at some concert or benefit. obviously a lot of those were tagged with phony "AP"s. i would only buy one that is numbered, from a known collector, with the proper obey and paypal receipts. bummer for all of those getting played on $6,000 investment that will one day be sour.
Who deserves the R2D2 cookie jar more? The Star Wars fan, or the Cookie Jar nut?
scrubjay
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:38 pm

Never seen this one before
eBay 130284300672
mr_rugby
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm

scrubjay wrote:Never seen this one before
eBay 130284300672
That's the stamp edition...
Subtle
Art Expert

Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:34 pm

But-we-unleashed-a-lion wrote:

And,

Knowing that APs usually are sold to real collectors and AP edition may be out of 30 this is definitely a problem

Why don't some people with REAL Obey AP's in their collection post some pictures of what the AP looks like, that way we can compare and see which ones look legitimate.
Codeblue wrote:Nevermind, I confused myself.
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:26 am

Subtle wrote:
But-we-unleashed-a-lion wrote:

And,

Why don't some people with REAL Obey AP's in their collection post some pictures of what the AP looks like, that way we can compare and see which ones look legitimate.
uummmm no. first off anyone with half a clue already knows what sheps 'AP' looks like, and secondly why would we want to confirm it for the forging douche bag lurkers that use this place to rig up their ebay auctions? fact is that at the very least 60% of the APs sold would not have proper provenance. i made a post about it months ago. bummer people are still getting fooled.

if i were shep i would try to crack down on it for a number of reasons......
Timmytj
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:28 am

so very wrong, and exactly the logic that is making these criminal sellers bank and putting buyers out thousands.