Absinthe 09 Niagara

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:36 am

This topic is dedicated to: Absinthe 09 Niagara

flyinwhole313
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:03 am

I love these Absinthe posters/ paintings...They bring back some very good memories...

My first experience with Absinthe was this past April. My wife and I were in San Francisco and stopped into a cool Bar for a Beer and I noticed a sign which said Absinthe $x.xx I said "Is that a decoration, or do you actually HAVE Absinthe?" The Bartender brought over a fountain, 2 small glasses, 2 exotic looking spoons, 2 sugar cubes and then, the bottle of what, until that point in time for me, was a Long Lost, Mystical Alcohol...So we partake in this act of dripping water onto the sugar cube, dissolving it into the Absinthe in the glass, and Enjoy!...Within 20 minutes my forehead was numb, and we sat in our car laughing at each other for 20 minutes before deciding that we should probably re-feed the meter and walk around some more. 1 Anchor Steam and a glass of Absinthe...I'm not talking about being "normal" drunk, this was unique... Amazing memory...So, I was at a Liquor store shortly thereafter in FLA, and bought a bottle of Absinthe, but I have yet to get the same result from it, so I assume that there are different potency levels for different brands, or the stuff I had in SF was laced...Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand...??? I have seen a couple different ones, but having spent $50 on the first bottle I bought, I am hesitant to drop $75 on some of the others I have seen without hearing a review first. Anyone?
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:25 am

I have heard some of the Absinthe over here doesnt contain the wormwoood that is used over in Europe. You may have gotten a bottle of the good stuff when you were in San Fran. I think "real" Absinthe is illegal over here. There are alot of people that make so called Absinthe in the US but i dont think it contains the same ingredients. I have never tried the stuff, so i dont know from experience but I have researched it a little.

So thats my .02.

PS I love Niagara's work. I always support artists from Michigan!!!!
trilobyte
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:42 am

mattlew69 wrote:I have heard some of the Absinthe over here doesnt contain the wormwoood that is used over in Europe. You may have gotten a bottle of the good stuff when you were in San Fran. I think "real" Absinthe is illegal over here. There are alot of people that make so called Absinthe in the US but i dont think it contains the same ingredients. I have never tried the stuff, so i dont know from experience but I have researched it a little.

So thats my .02.

PS I love Niagara's work. I always support artists from Michigan!!!!
thujone (the supposed Hallucinogenic ingredient, sounds like the jury's still out) is banned by the FDA last time i checked, so the state side stuff isn't allowed to have it. I had my affair with this stuff in Prague, and will never drink it again, bought in the US or in Eastern Europe.
heather_honey
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:46 am

I have a healthy absinthe habit thanks to all the time I spend in France for my job. Our office just happens to be located in a town where there is an actual absinthe distillery!

You can learn a lot about the differences in absithes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

I would recommend shopping for imported absinthes here: http://www.eabsinthe.com/
jcporter wrote:damn...with a name like "heather honey"...it's got to be good!
Give the gift of health and life to needy pets: http://saveuspets.org/