What book(s) are you reading???

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:23 am

I read this when it first came out twenty odd years ago. Re-reading it now, and it's as good as I remember.
Essentially a Clive Cussler style, fictional adventure based on the Oak Island Money Pit mystery. If you like watching the Lagina Bros, then I reckon you'll like this one. Makes you wonder how many of their ideas were inspired by this book...

UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
suchanoo
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:31 am

Is there a chance anyone has a copy of this they wouldn't mind passing on? I used to love this book, and really want to give it another read.
Out of print and not easy to come by a half decent copy (US & UK covers shown)...

Image Image
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:08 am

thanks for bumping - didn't remember

The Greatest Generation

Tom Brokaw

the creative act: A Way of Living

Rick Rubin

perfect for my upcoming San fran TRIP 8) :mrgreen:
papaver
Tech Team Member

Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:14 am

suchanoo wrote:
Is there a chance anyone has a copy of this they wouldn't mind passing on? I used to love this book, and really want to give it another read.
Out of print and not easy to come by a half decent copy (US & UK covers shown)...

Image Image
still remember reading swan song a couple decades ago... so drymounting good.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:57 pm

I recently finished Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow

And Station Eleven (good book, but the show is way better).

suchanoo
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:41 pm

papaver wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:14 am
suchanoo wrote:

Image Image
still remember reading swan song a couple decades ago... so drymounting good.
Yep, he is (was?) a great writer. I think he's retired now? Not sure any of his books are still in print...other than via kindle, which is the devil's work :)
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:06 pm

jjbehren wrote:

I read Station Eleven and loved it. Then I watched the show, and loved it. Now i'm re-reading the book...and loving it. lol Both are great but I would agree that the show is better. I'd also highly recommend Sea of Tranquility by her. Way better than Station Eleven IMO.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
fredo
Art God

Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:55 am

Short, riveting and not at all what I expected based on what little I remember of the film. Needs a back to roots reboot!
just a foil for me today, thanks
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:03 pm

Love that this thread disappears and then resurfaces and all the bookrats jump back on. Recent new reads:
The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway
Under the Whispering Door - Klune
Things Fall Apart - Achebe
The Cuckoo's Egg - Stoll
The Shawshank Redemption - King
Stormlight Archive - Sanderson (haven't read book 4 yet)

Re-reads:
Farenheit 451
Catch-22
The Old Man and the Sea
To Kill a Mockingbird

Currently reading:
Warbreaker - Sanderson

Next up:
The Three Body Problem - Liu
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
meskell
Art Expert

Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:18 pm

Adding Station 11 to the list! I really liked the series. I've also come to realize that I kinda like reading a book after I've seen the movie or what have you since I can put a face to the characters. When in done in reverse, the characters always seem to take on a miaz brothers effect.

Here's my favorites over the past few years...

Deacon King Kong - James McBride. The Good Lord Bird from McBride was good as well. Been meaning to watch the miniseries.
One in a Million Boy - Monica Wood. Probably one of a few I've read over the years that I plan on rereading.
Where the Crawdads Lie - Delia Owens. They've made a movie of this one that I'd like to get around to one day.
Sharks in the Time of Saviors - Kawai Strong Washburn. Another I'd probably reread again. So good.
The Anomaly - Herve Le Tellier. Has a Manifest vibe (not necessarily a good thing) but a much better twist.
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage - Alfred Lansing. Maybe the best true adventure story I've ever read.

Investigative reporting books...
Death in Mudlick: A Coal CountryFight Against the Drug Companies that Delivered the Opioid Epidemic - Eric Eyre
Under a White Sky - Elizabeth Kolbert. Have the Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History on board to read very soon.
Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town - Jon Krakauer
Outlaw Ocean - Ian Urbina

Book Series...
The Expanse - James S. A. Corey. Nine books
Haley Chill - Chris Haughty. Four books
Cormoran Strike - Robert Galbraith (aka J.K Rowling). I'm currently reading the fourth of six books.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon May 08, 2023 6:02 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:06 pm
jjbehren wrote:

I read Station Eleven and loved it. Then I watched the show, and loved it. Now i'm re-reading the book...and loving it. lol Both are great but I would agree that the show is better. I'd also highly recommend Sea of Tranquility by her. Way better than Station Eleven IMO.
Flew through Sea of Tranquility. Great book. Thanks for the recommendation
sidewaysscott
Art God

Mon May 08, 2023 6:09 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:02 pm

Flew through Sea of Tranquility. Great book. Thanks for the recommendation

This is in my queue, glad to hear. I'll move it up.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon May 08, 2023 7:13 pm

Nice!

Also kinda funny cause I just finished Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow! I loved the first half or so, then started to kinda hate it after one of the events in the book. The whole time it felt like a YA novel and as it went on that feeling increased. It was definitely a page-turner though.

Reading Splinter of the Minds Eye rn, started it in honor of May the 4th Star Wars day. Fantastic. Read it 30 years ago and it’s funny to go back and read it now that it’s no longer canon. Then a couple days ago I stumbled across a new article where Alan Dean Foster talked about some of the direction Lucas gave him while he was writing it. Good stuff.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Tue May 23, 2023 10:40 am

Just read Charles Frazier's new one The Trackers. It seemed like a regression from Cold Mountain...started off interesting but then devolved and again, felt like I was reading a YA novel.

100 pages into Hernan Diaz's first book In The Distance from 2017. So good. It's like night and day from The Trackers - so much better. Never read anything by Diaz but he just won the Pulitzer and this one is his only other book and it was also a Pulitzer finalist. He's great.
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri May 26, 2023 9:33 am

Flew through The Passage, based on numerous recommendations in this thread. Loved it. Just started The Twelve. Hopefully not disappointed. Seems like many seem to say it's good, but lacks the magic of the first one.