WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
MaxCollinsII
Art Connoisseur

Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 pm

From what I read in the forums, Nick :hanging: Chastain was dealt with for his Opensea marketplace transgressions. What that really means? Only a few people really know and I am not one of them. The beauty and the curse of a blockchain
The Original Pure Hemp® Rolling Papers :ziggi: made in Spain, unlike some of our competitors
PartPat: "All of Eb is one big mondo joke really."
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:29 am

Thinker wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 pm
It's funny how for Years, this hobby has chastised and villainized flippers. Some galleries even banning flippers from sales.

Now when someone instaflips these NFTs the criticism is their not selling for high enough
PREACH
MaxCollinsII wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:23 pm
From what I read in the forums, Nick :hanging: Chastain was dealt with for his Opensea marketplace transgressions. What that really means? Only a few people really know and I am not one of them. The beauty and the curse of a blockchain
one of my favorite things about it all, it's all public knowledge
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:29 am

Thinker wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 pm
It's funny how for Years, this hobby has chastised and villainized flippers. Some galleries even banning flippers from sales.

Now when someone instaflips these NFTs the criticism is their not selling for high enough
Someone publicly mentioned me on FB the other day. Something along the lines of oh so Joe is ok with this but not flipping posters (because I canceled orders in the past)..

Personally I've always understood the idea of flipping. It's a big part what drives the market. I was just always canceling orders for people who didn't have it in hand first. I've always said that. I can't speak for other galleries but once a poster is in hand, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

You guys see the emails we get from rude buyers but there is a whole other group of emails of people yelling at us about instant Ebay flips. Its something that if I can help out them, I give it a shot.

With NFTs, once you mint, its instantly yours. You can do whatever you want with it.
Sucks about Nate. I actually liked him a lot. He had to have lost about 8-9 figures due to this.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am

Story time!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:25 am

Codeblue wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am
Story time!
Nate was head of product of Opensea. Really active in the community.

Opensea is a marketplace. They also do this fun thing where they feature new artists on the homepage. Def helps promotes the artist and they tend to sell well.

He was in charge of curating it and was caught basically buying their pieces before their feature then selling them instantly when it was up.

I think it was sort of known for a while but this past one went beyond discord and went viral. Opensea made a statement and he resigned.

I imagine everyone does it there because they just made new rules about it.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:05 am

Luls. What a fuggin racket.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:15 am

Greed is a powerful drug. Couldn’t be content making the little bit of extra money he was making and that’s why he’s gone. But alll those ducats are already in his accounts, not gonna shed a tear for him. Personally, I’ve always just assumed that almost every gallery or curator that handles flippable products does this to a certain extent, and I don’t begrudge them that extra cheddar one bit.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:33 am

Is it ethical? No not at all but do most of those places do it...100%. Think Supreme's staff gives everything to customers and doesn't hold back to sell on the side? However, if you're caught you're caught.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:55 am

acidburn wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:33 am
Is it ethical? No not at all but do most of those places do it...100%. Think Supreme's staff gives everything to customers and doesn't hold back to sell on the side? However, if you're caught you're caught.

As in many thing in life. Agree Joe.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:56 am

Many "galleries" with limited editions keep an archive, which they sell down the road, but I don't know of any legit ones that are flipping their fudge either on the drop or right afterwards. Then again, I guess tiered pricing could (and should) be considered dat. As for low wage employees who work shops like Supreme, dats prolly unofficially considered part of their compensation.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:03 pm

Nike’s Resell Scandal and VP Ann Hebert’s Resignation

https://www.complex.com/sneakers/nike-a ... explained/
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:21 pm

I member dat story.
jpfondu
Art Expert

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:01 pm

Nifty was, and probably still is, doing it for sure.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:05 pm

i mean do it. just be up front about it. nothing wrong with saving for staff and gallery. it's the hiding and back door dealing thats the issue.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:39 pm

Perfect time for OS to drop their token. Ppl will forget instantly. They have competition coming from Sushi who gives all royalty back to sushi holders