Update: April 14, 2021

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
fredo
Art God

Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:37 am

A) Subscribed
B) Thank you for the updates
C) Don’t eat The Leftovers, codebleu. That jawn sucked and finn’s take makes it hard for me to love him without reservation, which deep down I know is what he has always wanted, and so I release him with an open heart...and a loaded pistol
D) Good luck, EB, we’re all counting on you to save us from Social Media. That place is for the birds.
just a foil for me today, thanks
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:11 am

Bubbie you just gave me a great idea, this one's free dudes: put all available funds towards building an ebay scraper that will automatically add listings to the for sale tab on the search matches. This doesn't need to be exact because if a rogue search match for "shepard fairey pist punk" leads to an incorrect for sale item who cares. If someone clicks the link eb still picks up the referral that follows that user around to get commission on whatever they buy. Just the artist name plus the print name is specific enough I bet, searched on a schedule that is relative to the eb search rank for that item. Highest searched items get ebay searched more frequently, less searched items are on a longer delay to check for new. The frequency of ebay searching for any given database entry would be relative to how popular that thing is at the time. the jist of doing it this way would be to maximize the resources available for actually doing the searches.

This program would be jamming all the time non stop searching ebay so it needs to prioritize to what degree it can do that with getting the most important information into the site: the freshest ebay listings for the hottest items that are most likely to get that referral attached to the users that are doing the searches here.

I imagine the hottest items on any day are the ones that have the most unique people visiting then so this is the most efficient lure, having all the ebay listings up to date has the most potential for a larger number of those referrals and the commissions that follow. The trick would be to not let these auto searched for sale entries translate into recorded sales in the history. One way they could auto convert to actual sales is if in between the time the auto searcher finds it for sale initially and the time the auto searcher checks back in to see if that listing is still active, a user here tries to add that ebay item id and finds after submitting the form that they can't because the auto searcher already added it - in this case the auto found ebay item id would be verified as an exact match for this db entry and would translate into a recorded sale much like they do now. And there could be a queue of unverified completed ebay sales.

tl;dr: top priority should be to stuff the site with as many ebay links as possible to maximize commissions and get the money eb needs to do everything right. Use money now to write a one time program that can be parameter adjusted over time and does work infinitely that generates money and costs little.
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:57 am

<walks off confused>

<well off in the distance, “take on me” is hummed>
Bang
That's what she said
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:02 pm

finneganm wrote:
<walks off confused>

Bang
I tried to be concise in explaining but I'm probably not as concise as I think.

This tool can be built as a stand alone program to scrape and dump info into a db. I could make this whole thing happen (minus the filtering out of what's been added via this method when the transition from for sale listing to sold item happens) right now by telling the program to submit the for sale listings with my ebeans account, I would not need access to ANY of the ebeans back end.

I suspect this will add a serious amount of ebay listings that aren't manually added by users. What amount of extra commission that generates I don't know but it's certainly not zero and once the program is written and running... It just keeps going.
A public relations nightmare

SLAPPED WITH FLIPPING
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:21 pm

I was referencing Fredo setting me free with a gun, while also referencing one of my favorite Leftover episodes from season 3.

I didn’t read your thing.

It’s not all about you.
That's what she said
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 pm

I hear this is where the Leftovers talk is happening??..

fredo
Art God

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 pm

First rule of Always Talk About The Leftovers Club...
just a foil for me today, thanks
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:42 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:28 pm
I love EB just like it is.
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:28 am

ygolohcysp wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:02 pm
finneganm wrote:
<walks off confused>

Bang
I tried to be concise in explaining but I'm probably not as concise as I think.

This tool can be built as a stand alone program to scrape and dump info into a db. I could make this whole thing happen (minus the filtering out of what's been added via this method when the transition from for sale listing to sold item happens) right now by telling the program to submit the for sale listings with my ebeans account, I would not need access to ANY of the ebeans back end.

I suspect this will add a serious amount of ebay listings that aren't manually added by users. What amount of extra commission that generates I don't know but it's certainly not zero and once the program is written and running... It just keeps going.
in for an EB bot slot
whalaw
Site Admin

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:09 pm

Hey,
I’m not interested in any type of public or private feud with a Team Member or anyone else. I think it’s counter-productive to what we’re trying to accomplish here. “Blame” is a “child’s game” from my perspective. Anytime I’ve ever spoken, publicly or privately, regarding the Tech Team, I’ve always expressed gratitude and appreciation for their efforts and will continue to do so. I stand by all my prior statements; however, I would like to clarify a couple points:

No one will be given carte blanche to “fundraise” our Members without BOD consent. I feel our Members have suffered enough in that regard due to the “Joe” fiasco. I’m not saying that we will never resort to Member fundraising to get it done. However, I feel we owe our Members the duty of exhausting every reasonable avenue of attaining the Upgrade before we fundraise “off their backs” again. As I’ve mentioned previously, the “ideal” way to get the long discussed Upgrade would be for one or more passionate, selfless, volunteers to perform the Upgrade. What I often call the “EB way.” Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to find them up to this point. So, at present, we might be at the point where we turn to Plan B, which would be EB paying for the Upgrade with the funds we have available. Last Fall, I began soliciting bids for the upgrade based upon the Ideation we created during the “Joe” Upgrade, so we could get an idea of the potential monetary amount we would be faced with. Which brings me to the second point.

No one will be engaged to Upgrade EB who is unable or unwilling to put in a written bid for the Upgrade. The obvious exception to this would be the selfless, passionate member (or members) who VOLUNTEER(S) their time to perform the Upgrade. However, if you are Volunteer who then wants monetary compensation for your work on the site, the nature of your relationship with EB then changes. You are no longer acting in the capacity of a Volunteer, you become a vendor. As such, you would need to tender a written bid based upon the Ideation we provide(d), like all other vendors.

I intend to dot all the “i”s and cross all the “t”s this time. By doing so, I hope to prevent what happened during the last Upgrade fiasco from happening again.

Thanks.

wha
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm

I think I speak for everyone here when I say #fuckjoe
nc
EB Team

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 pm

Thank you for the update whalaw.

FWIW since 2016, I've approached dozens of developers and multiple agencies seeking volunteers and soliciting help. I've requested countless bids for a site upgrade with sadly no interest.

Time is a very limited resource. Most folks choose to spend it on a platform with 3.5 billion users. Facebook continues to invest in more features, especially commerce. Selling art on Instagram will only get easier in the future.

Maybe SWOT analysis will help EB to identify the competitive sustainable advantages to keep folks here.

Threat: Facebook is building new tools to help creators make money off of commerce
https://news.yahoo.com/facebook-buildin ... 05902.html

NC
mattlew69
Art Expert

Tue May 04, 2021 10:47 am

cotis wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:52 am
EB Only Fans selling foot pics of all users here might get some funds
I am down for this ^^^^^ as well as an ebay scraper sounds like a legit idea!!!
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 08, 2021 6:17 am

I know podcasts are like assholes these days, but there seems to be plenty of charismatic “OG’s”?…“0#er’s”?…original members here that love to “yak(s) too much”. Members with strong opinions and a lot of history and rapport with each other. It’d probably be a slow build, but maybe an EB Podcast would drive up forum engagement over time. Maybe even scrape in a few duckets in advertising eventually.
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.