WTF is Crypto Art?

General art-related discussion.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:22 pm

It's more the idea of ownership over something that you could never own before.

When it comes to art on the web, we've always been used to the idea that we just save anything, put it into a folder, its on our computer so its ours. Technically its not. You don't own it.

Ill always repeat it but what I personally love about this is now you have artists who could never normally sell their work being able to sell their work. Yea we would watch it and be like wow thats cool and then move on. Now you can support those artists. Don't see it much as a cash grab at all. Some could only make cash from this. Also, some artists we've worked with, I will be honest when I say you can tell that they were limited when it came to actual prints and restricted. This frees them up to do what they are great at.

Anyway, I expect many not to not understand it or start buying it which i totally respect but I'm definitely always here if you have questions on just the general idea of it all. Once the dots connected for me last year, I haven't stopped thinking what to apply all of this too.
geetee
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Kdh12 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:13 pm
It all seems like a bit of cash grab to me, but I’m like others too old to wrap my head around paying $$$$ for a 10 sec gif
You don't even pay the money for a 10 second gif. You pay the money for a bit of code that says that you and no one else owns that 10 second gif, even when the gif is easy to copy. It's so late stage capitalism levels of absurd.

But hey, if you want to live pretending you own a gif and are prepared to pay for the privilege then all the power to you I suppose.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:33 pm

geetee wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:31 pm
Kdh12 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:13 pm
It all seems like a bit of cash grab to me, but I’m like others too old to wrap my head around paying $$$$ for a 10 sec gif
You don't even pay the money for a 10 second gif. You pay the money for a bit of code that says that you and no one else owns that 10 second gif, even when the gif is easy to copy. It's so late stage capitalism levels of absurd.

But hey, if you want to live pretending you own a gif and are prepared to pay for the privilege then all the power to you I suppose.
Yea I mean I kind of had a feeling. Even if the environmental part is fixed, you still think its fudge no matter what so you'll keep finding things against it. No offense this platform never had a chance in your eyes which is fine.

That "bit of code" will most likely be the future of digital items so definitely get used to it.
Last edited by acidburn on Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geetee
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:36 pm

The environmental part isn't even close to being fixed, but at least if it was it would be a bit of harmless fun. But it isn't, so it just makes the absurdity of it all even more salient.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:41 pm

geetee wrote:
The environmental part isn't even close to being fixed, but at least if it was it would be a bit of harmless fun. But it isn't, so it just makes the absurdity of it all even more salient.
But it is? The biggest NFT site right now is on Flow. I have a feeling as this progresses and gets even bigger, things will shift. Things will be solved.

Back to what I was saying, you think this entire idea is stupid so nothing that even happens will be fun for you. You've already chose that path.
geetee
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:48 pm

acidburn wrote:
geetee wrote:
But it is? The biggest NFT site right now is on Flow. I have a feeling as this progresses and gets even bigger, things will shift. Things will be solved.

Back to what I was saying, you think this entire idea is stupid so nothing that even happens will be fun for you. You've already chose that path.
That's incredibly presumptuous. There are plenty of things I used to hate I now love. I just hadn't found the reason. I'm open to be swayed on NFTs.

I also can't find any energy usage info about OnFlow. Any sources please?
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:50 pm

geetee wrote:
acidburn wrote:
geetee wrote:

That's incredibly presumptuous. There are plenty of things I used to hate I now love. I just hadn't found the reason. I'm open to be swayed on NFTs.

https://docs.onflow.org/staking

And can look into POS https://www.coindesk.com/proof-of-stake
geetee
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:08 pm

acidburn wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:50 pm
geetee wrote:
acidburn wrote:
geetee wrote:

https://docs.onflow.org/staking

And can look into POS https://www.coindesk.com/proof-of-stake
but how much energy is being used per transaction? I don't see anything about that there
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:10 pm

Whatever it is, its better then the catastrophe you're talking about. Look into it more and let me know.
geetee
Art Enthusiast

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:22 pm

acidburn wrote:
Whatever it is, its better then the catastrophe you're talking about. Look into it more and let me know.
I've tried looking into it and there is no info out there I can find. Since you're making the claim it's cleaner I assumed you might have some concrete info. Like, fine, it's cleaner, but how much cleaner? It's kind of an important question, right? Are we talking large airplane vs small airplane, or airplane vs cycling?
jpfondu
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:30 pm

I think the code, or the transaction recorded on the block chain, is somewhat overlooked in that you are now guaranteed to get the genuine article. It's as good as the artists signature, if not better.

I see a lot of people referring to it as just a jpeg but collecting fudge comes pretty natural to many people. We are so used to having something physical to hold its difficult to imagine paying money for what feels like nothing. The value is in the ownership like anything else. Although, it's a different way of thinking for sure

But I will admit the environmental side is a big concern.

If I pull a LeBron legendary I'll defo donate to the Sierra club.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:51 pm

geetee wrote:
acidburn wrote:
I've tried looking into it and there is no info out there I can find. Since you're making the claim it's cleaner I assumed you might have some concrete info. Like, fine, it's cleaner, but how much cleaner? It's kind of an important question, right? Are we talking large airplane vs small airplane, or airplane vs cycling?
Unfortunately I do not have numbers. However, there are many articles about the general idea of PoS vs PoW https://medium.com/luniehq/why-is-proof ... c074721930. If you ever find them out though would love to here.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:09 pm

geetee wrote:
acidburn wrote:
the environmental costs are certainly being looked into. the problem with current consensus algorithms is that it requires doing highly computational math which burns cpu cycles. they have found ways around that and are creating blockchains with the environmental impact at its center.

you can read about cardano:
https://cardano.org/ouroboros/

the irony is bitcoin is king which is the most useless of the chains in terms of what you can actually do.

i agree that NTFs at the moment are pretty much just a cash grab. the current implementation is utterly lame. you don't actually even get anything (though beeple does sell his with a display i think). the image / video is still just a link on the web. so dumb. but i do think once we start doing smart art that can change with time and events. this space will be a whole new world. smart contracts which can read outside events are now possible, which means things are just starting to get exciting. this is the future without a doubt.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:14 pm

How many people thought and still think producing prints off of originals are cash grabs?

Yet here we are. All buying and loving prints.

I do agree though. It will be fun watching this evolve. Until then, this is what is happening and I personally love seeing a new group of ppl excited about something.
recycler
Art Expert

Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:31 pm

acidburn wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:14 pm
I do agree though. It will be fun watching this evolve. Until then, this is what is happening and I personally love seeing a new group of ppl excited about something.
Yes, people are excited about it (crypto anything), but many are` not excited about the art, instead the money to be made excites them. That said, their motivation does not make their actions wrong, but to me the money aspect is degrading the art. Let me clarify, degrading the art that is actually decent art because there is a lot of ugly pricey crypto pieces being produced.

I am sure people have said it, but it's sad to see a crypto go for like 10x30 times what a giclee of the same image would go for. I know the movement (GIF) aspect and all, but some crypto is very similar to a print.