Official Expresso Beans Art News.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 am

fredo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm
^^Beauty

ps You’re so predictable.
I agree, lol. It’s cool poster though and was a contender.

Overall, as thin as the year was, I had difficulties choosing a poster of the year. It ended up being this for me:

Still salty about that drop!

There were quite a few bangers in the art section. Fairey had a few strong contenders, in my opinion. Fading Away by Winters was also pretty great. Phlegm was great. A few others that were hard to pass. I picked another Sperry though, lol. His best lady to date for me, without a doubt:

The cinema was an easy pick. Most appeared to be zomg commissions, which I don’t consider to be worthy of a vote unless they get their own section. I went with a Halloween by WBYK:

jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm

bubbie wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:56 am
Most appeared to be zomg commissions, which I don’t consider to be worthy of a vote unless they get their own section.
Why not? Because it's not officially licensed? It's still a movie poster
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm

I think there is something to be said about an artist working in the constraints of a license and studio approval, as opposed to a bootleg where the artist can use any imagery and interpret the property however they and the commissioner see fit.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:46 pm

They shouldn’t be in the same category because one can slap Arnie’s face on a Terminator print, while Stout has to work around that with stickers and whatnot. In other words, one artist can do pretty much whatever they want, while another has their hands tied up in one way or another.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:47 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm
I think there is something to be said about an artist working in the constraints of a license and studio approval, as opposed to a bootleg where the artist can use any imagery and interpret the property however they and the commissioner see fit.
Typed at the same time, lol. Indeed.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm

^These dukes get it.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:35 pm

Agree with all that, but are we seriously taking that into account when we vote for what looks the best in an EBeans vote?
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 pm

Practically speaking, probably not. But what looks best isn't necessarily the only criteria for an EBeans vote - plenty just do it to hype up a commission (or a licensed ZOMG piece), and "what looks best" can entail a degree of technicality since people lean towards screenprints despite some illustrations getting more tonal range or image fidelity from a giclee or litho.

Just vote for whatever you want, I mean Jaccob LOTR won an AOTW years back and we're just living in that utopia these days.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:58 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:35 pm
Agree with all that, but are we seriously taking that into account when we vote for what looks the best in an EBeans vote?
Duh.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bert
Art Expert

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:57 pm

I quite like that commissions have the freedom to do what they like, rather than all these studio restrictions on licensed work. Feels more guerrilla, like the old days. Having said that, they do often become a bit of a mish mash mess of everything as a result. When the creativity of a licensed piece can overcome some of the constraints that come with licenses, it does feel more of a triumph.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:53 pm

I think it's more to do with a lack of creative direction in all honesty. An artist with no limits can easily get carried away with someone reining them back in and helping them refine a design with a bit more restraint. That's why things show more restraint in the licensed world. But of course limitations of the license play their rule in the creative direction too - necessity breeds creativity.

Having said all that I still don't think it should limit your choice or acceptance of what looks good. I do acknowledge that some people will be tooting their own horn by voting for commissioned pieces but that's just the folks who want to flip it or promote their own commission. Besides, who really pays attention to the votes on this site anyway, it's not like its an official selection.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:19 pm

Something as simple as a title block seems to be a luxury in licensed work nowadays. Imagine that Halloween print I voted for without one.

In reality, you are right: nobody cares what a dozen or two people here think the best movie poster is.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:43 pm

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
fredo
Art God

Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:07 pm

I’m still protesting Horkey winning in ‘14 for that hot mess of a LOTR poster that hadn’t even been printed yet! #freelandland #moodindigomatters
just a foil for me today, thanks
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Horkamania was running wild in '14.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH