World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:27 am

Yep. All great stuff!
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:15 pm

It's been pretty dry by me recently. In fact, probably not going to be able to get my hands on the allocated bottles anymore. I buy from the local Total Wine by me and I've heard they're now only offering up the allocated bottles (Weller 12, CYPB, Full Proof, Blanton's, Pappy's, etc) through a raffle. Got an e-mail about it last week and the drawing isn't until February. Heard it was because store employees were giving their friends the heads up on what they have in stock, holding bottles for them, etc. So now when I can go I can only hope to grab a Weller Single Barrel (which I've yet to try), Eagle Rare or something along those lines. This sucks because it punishes the public for them not being able to keep their own house in order! 🤬
morecoffee
Art Expert

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Bryman wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:31 am
Went back to pickup some backup bottles :)
That is a SWEET haul right there! I had a glass of the Jr. last night. I let two ice cubes melt in mine to help cut some of the edge. Enjoy!
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
It's been pretty dry by me recently. In fact, probably not going to be able to get my hands on the allocated bottles anymore. I buy from the local Total Wine by me and I've heard they're now only offering up the allocated bottles (Weller 12, CYPB, Full Proof, Blanton's, Pappy's, etc) through a raffle. Got an e-mail about it last week and the drawing isn't until February. Heard it was because store employees were giving their friends the heads up on what they have in stock, holding bottles for them, etc. So now when I can go I can only hope to grab a Weller Single Barrel (which I've yet to try), Eagle Rare or something along those lines. This sucks because it punishes the public for them not being able to keep their own house in order! 🤬
That sucks dude. At least you had a great run! I’ve never seen bottles like you pull at a Total Wine before. Hopefully they work something better out.
morecoffee wrote:
That is a SWEET haul right there! I had a glass of the Jr. last night. I let two ice cubes melt in mine to help cut some of the edge. Enjoy!
Thanks man! Yeah, I’ve been through many bottles of the Taylor small batch(it’s one of my favorites) and I’ve recently fallen in love with the Heaven Hill, but I’d been chasing that Stagg Jr for years. Still over paid a bit, but for California prices, it was reasonable so I bought two bottles. If I never find it again at least I’ll know I got my share. :2thumb:

FWIW I like my bourbon neat and my rye with a single normal sized Ice cube to open it up. Cheers fellas! :cheers:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 pm

Bryman wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:31 pm
Irishman12 wrote:
That sucks dude. At least you had a great run! I’ve never seen bottles like you pull at a Total Wine before. Hopefully they work something better out.
morecoffee wrote:
Thanks man! Yeah, I’ve been through many bottles of the Taylor small batch(it’s one of my favorites) and I’ve recently fallen in love with the Heaven Hill, but I’d been chasing that Stagg Jr for years. Still over paid a bit, but for California prices, it was reasonable so I bought two bottles. If I never find it again at least I’ll know I got my share. :2thumb:

FWIW I like my bourbon neat and my rye with a single normal sized Ice cube to open it up. Cheers fellas! :cheers:
Thanks, not all of my bottles were purchased from Total Wine recently. The Heaven Hill, 1792 Sweet Wheat, McKenna, and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof were purchased from a Mom & Pop. As for me, I always drink mine straight and neat.
Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 pm

Well that’s good then. At least you still have some access to good stuff.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
It's not because of store employees. That's how Total Wine has been selling their Pappy and BTAC bottles for a few years now. It used to be in-store before Father's Day, open to anyone willing to camp in the parking lot overnight. Now it's online and for Grand Reserve members only. This year, depending on the state, they added the Weller line (besides special reserve and OWA), and in Minnesota they added Blanton's for some reason. Some other states have other stuff, too, based on distribution. There was also a small lotto earlier this year for OFBB (last year's), EHT Grain of the Gods, Parker's Heritage, and Angel's Envy Cask Strength (which is weird since that's pretty available).
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:57 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
So now when I can go I can only hope to grab a Weller Single Barrel (which I've yet to try)...
Also, pretty sure you meant the Weller Special Reserve. The Single Barrel is brand new in the last few months and more rare than Full Proof. More along the lines of CYPB.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:03 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:57 pm
Irishman12 wrote:
So now when I can go I can only hope to grab a Weller Single Barrel (which I've yet to try)...
Also, pretty sure you meant the Weller Special Reserve. The Single Barrel is brand new in the last few months and more rare than Full Proof. More along the lines of CYPB.
No I meant the Single Barrel. I know it's new but haven't tried it yet. Not going for as much as the Full Proof/CYPB on the secondary market, but still enough to scare me away with those prices. They raffle they offered didn't have Single Barrel listed so I'm "hopeful" I can still pick it up in the store. We'll see. I knew Pappy and the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon were lotteries only. But not they've added Blanton's and Weller's.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Speaking of lottos, I memba once joking that everything in life would be a lotto some day. Looks like it's happening. Heard a story on the radio the other day about an increasing push to make college admissions lotto based. Jobs will surely follow next.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:29 pm
Speaking of lottos, I memba once joking that everything in life would be a lotto some day. Looks like it's happening. Heard a story on the radio the other day about an increasing push to make college admissions lotto based. Jobs will surely follow next.
Waffles, baby... just make sure they are live-streamed!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Since my store doesn't carry the allocated bottles anymore, I've come to an almost complete stop on whiskey buying. My wallet's thanking me, but it's frustrating seeing people score Stagg Jr.'s and whatnot in my local Facebook group because their store on the other end of town is still selling the allocated. Tomorrow I am grabbing a store pick of an Elijah Craig Single Barrel, which will be my first time trying it and then on Friday my local Facebook group is dropping a barrel selection of their own for Sagamore Rye (110 Proof), which I've never tried Sagamore either. With this time of the year, I've switched to stocking up on Sam Adams Winter Lager and the "Holiday White Ale" (formerly the White Christmas Ale, which is my second favorite variety they offer after the Cherry Wheat).

Also, I've seen some 1972 Sweet Wheat and 12 year drop recently. I've had the Sweet Wheat, which I liked. Has anyone had the 12 year?
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:31 pm

I just grabbed the EC Barrel Proof (136) and it’s just as good as I remembered. Been a few years since I saw one in the wild.

Also, recently had New Riff (really big fan for the $50 price) and Blade and Bow (very good as well). Definitely would recommend both.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:53 pm

New Riff is popular by me as well. Never even seen it on a shelf. May have to pick up a bottle if I see one now. Thanks for the recommendation.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:06 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:53 pm
New Riff is popular by me as well. Never even seen it on a shelf. May have to pick up a bottle if I see one now. Thanks for the recommendation.
I went with the Single Barrel.... two thumbs up!