Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:13 pm

I don't think most bots can get around captchas. That said, if you are on the captcha 1/8 second after the drop and done with the transaction 1/8 second after the captcha you probably score.

It is my understanding that some bots could get by captchas on the ticket sites back in the day because a small number of captcha images were used so image identification was used to automatically cruise right through them.

Kind of reminds me of that guy who beat Press Your Luck. He realized the pattern order and knew when he could hit and not get a whammy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Larson
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Kdh12
Art Freak

Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:18 pm

So are you implying that no prints are scooped up by bots
mmmm Beer :pint:
applehead
Art Expert

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:04 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:13 pm
I don't think most bots can get around captchas. That said, if you are on the captcha 1/8 second after the drop and done with the transaction 1/8 second after the captcha you probably score.

It is my understanding that some bots could get by captchas on the ticket sites back in the day because a small number of captcha images were used so image identification was used to automatically cruise right through them.

Kind of reminds me of that guy who beat Press Your Luck. He realized the pattern order and knew when he could hit and not get a whammy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Larson
There are still ways around captchas, no matter how many images they rotate. There are services out there to manage captcha authentication. Bots are winning, no doubt here. Hard to deny when you go online after a drop and see several sellers with 3-5 to sell.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:48 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:44 pm
the best way to avoid bots would be to revert back to his previous chitty website technology with all the crashing.
ding ding ding. been saying that for years.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:45 pm

Bots would win on the old Obey site. In and out before the site would crash
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 pm

Not a chance. Site was instacrashed before popular drops.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
canuck
Art Freak

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:49 pm

I'd be surprised if even 10% of the run is scooped up by bots. Given a run of 500 that's 50 prints. Okay one person has 3 or so. Where did the other 47 go? I've been able to scoop up multiples by myself working on the same computer many times in the past. People just suck at drops. Same people complaining are probably trying to score on their phone.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:50 pm

Bot prevention software and captcha on Shopify are handled by off the shelf bots that anyone can buy right now. They're constantly updated.
canuck
Art Freak

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:53 pm

Anyone making efficient code for auto purchasing is good enough to make 100K+ a year working elsewhere in the industry. The bot game isn't as big as we make it out to be. Especially in the poster world.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:05 am

Yes, site crashed before the drops happened. But it also sometimes took hours to buy. I remember Power and Glory took over two hours to buy. I remember that one because the drop “happened” at 10 local time and I bought around 12:15-ish before heading out for lunch, lol. Good times. Nowadays, I can’t afford sitting in front of the screen for two hours or more than a few minutes, really, most of the time.

I am telling you, ShopPay is the answer. Have any of you bought anything with that thing yet? Fastest checkout that I had ever seen. No log in, nothing; just auto fill the email address and the code from the text message, that’s it. I am far from expert on the bot issue, but I don’t see how one can go around the verification code in the text message given the cost of the set up within reasonable bounds. The only place I’ve seen using ShopPay is the Hashimoto though.

Also, doubt bots is that much of an issue. Most complaints I see on the Instagram or elsewhere are in the type of “I was there 1 minute past the drop and then I added to cart and it sold out” or “by the time I typed In the address...” or “people can’t move that fast”, etc. Also “drymount you insert name, I hate you and will never buy anything from you ever again”, yet they never bought anything in the first place because -> either noobs or people who have no clue about what the drymount they are doing. Those same people making it more difficult for themselves (and others) to buy next time when addition anti-bot measures are put in place.

I am going to be hyping up that ShoPay, lol. Maybe I should sent an email to Obey complaining that they still did not incorporate that payment method. Luls.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:07 am

canuck wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:53 pm
Anyone making efficient code for auto purchasing is good enough to make 100K+ a year working elsewhere in the industry. The bot game isn't as big as we make it out to be. Especially in the poster world.
The kids/young adults that are writing, maintaining, and selling these bots are making far more than that. You pay a monthly fee to have the bot and they sell thousands of licenses. They also have the privilege of collecting all the data about what people are buying and how to best use the bot. They'll also sell you additional things you need like proxies, servers, and private group membership where stores are monitored 24/7 and everyone in the group gets a step by step breakdown of the next thing coming up for sale that can be resold. And you think they're going to go work for someone else?
canuck
Art Freak

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 am

Highly doubt a coder is clearing 100K for these people. If they are that intricate, there is a crew of people running those companies and overhead is a bitch. Definitely more money else where in the computer science world and higher paying and better companies to work for.

Also I'm thinking 0% chance shep uses a third party for shopping. Less money in the old pocket for obey taking that option.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 am

You're overestimating the size of these operations and you're underestimating their reach and capability, but ok.

That said look at "obey bob Marley" on eBay. 119 listed, 106 sold. How many prints did he sell? 1700?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:24 am

Ps bubbie, Sim cards are like $2-5 a month, the ticket guys have had text verification figured out this whole time. It would be an easy add on.
canuck
Art Freak

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:31 am

ygolohcysp wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:20 am
You're overestimating the size of these operations and you're underestimating their reach and capability, but ok.

That said look at "obey bob Marley" on eBay. 119 listed, 106 sold. How many prints did he sell? 1700?
These companies are a drop in the bucket in the tech world. Don't underestimate the world of computer science amigo. 100K is a nice starting pay for a junior developer with barely a few years of experience.