Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:42 pm

ive never seen more temper tantrums from grown adults whom were told the only way to fix their issue is to erase and set the phone up as new.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:52 pm

bubbie wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:28 pm
Two weeks ago, the year and half old iPhone X started acting weird and slowing down. Thought I would shut it down and turn it back on. It never turned back on, got stuck at the Apple logo. The laptop refused to recognize it, but luckily I was in the city and dropped by the Apple store. Had to be reset to factory, which is fine, but the back up got drymounted up too somehow. Not happy. The genius there said I must have tapped some certain commands in a certain sequence that crashed the system. Obviously sounds like a bunch of standard bullshit they tell everybody.

Moreover, for whatever reason the notifications don’t come through to the main screen now. Neither there are any sound or vibration notifications. Not emails or any other apps. Only text messages and missed phone calls. All settings look fine.

Not sure if it belongs here or in the pet peeves thread. Pretty sure this is the last iPhone I will own at this point and I’ve used them for over a decade; the first one was 3G, which I still have and use as a music player for kids and even the battery is still fine in that one. The wife had a problem with her phone a couple of years ago, which is talked about somewhere in this thread. Then she had a battery swollen up and they couldn’t recover her data, which is pretty ridiculous. My previous phone was 7S Plus, I believe, which I wasn’t happy with (it dropped calls and service issues, which is probably one and the same; also the battery would die any time the temperature dropped close to zero Celsius and in the winter in the boonies it’s like having no phone when going for walks that last more than 5 minutes even when hiding the phone in the inside pocket).

Thinking of selling this turd and maybe going with Galaxy S20. Never had a Samsung phone before.
Wow, sorry to hear about the troubles. I've had the iPhone X since it dropped and haven't had any issues. Battery is still at 91% health. I too have had iPhones since the 3G and love them. Haven't had many issues and if I did, I usually blame it on the carrier (AT&T) as opposed to the phone itself. But the problems you have are definitely the iPhone and not the carrier.
mlinderer
Art Expert

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:35 pm

If anyone has a decent condition used iPad, I'm in the market for one for my mom, who is using a 1st Gen IPad Mini and is finally become so slow that it's causing some frustrations. All she uses it for is Facebook, FaceTime, and her puzzle app so she doesn't need to spend $400 on a new one. If someone has something in decent condition that would be a performance improvement over that, send me a pm and we can talk about something in my trades or talk cash.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:56 am

Codeblue wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:54 pm
Luls. I've actually been thinking of switching to an Apple for the first time since I like dat tiny one they came out with. Perhaps not.
Which little one? SE?

In my opinion, if you are happy with whatever you are running, I’d stick to that. There used to be a time when you could clearly see the difference using an iPhone vs something else. That time is long gone, IMO. And it is probably just bad luck, but for the past 2-3 years they just haven’t been that reliable to me personally.

Worth noting, I was super happy with the X (it sort of “won” me back, lol, and I was planning on using it for years to come) until these recent shenanigans that may have pushed me to the point when I am ready to switch to something else. And I am not one of those anti-Apple people; every single phone I had since 3G came out was an iPhone.

35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm
Worked at apple and repaired phones, neither of these things are unusual.

Back ups can get corrupted very easily and become unusable. It's always best to erase the phone and start as new whenever possible. This fixes most issues with phones.

And if a battery swells it can bend and damage internal components and you can't get data off that. One of the only ways to do so is to take all the components out and do more indepth data recovery and that is very expensive and complicated and not something apple does. Or any computer company for that matter.
They sell you the iCloud by never having to worry about your backup. I lost a few things by doing just that.

I don’t exactly remember how it played out with the battery and why the data wasn’t transferred. I remember that the phone was turning on before being mailed out (there was a reason, but I am really drawing a blank here). They simply sent her a brand new phone.

The dude I talked to about my phone said there is only one place in the world that he knows of where they would be able to pull the data off my phone and it would run me around $30K. Luls. This is another reason I am thinking to get rid of X and get the Samsung. If/when fudge crashes, you just take out the memory card and plug it in another phone. If/when you run out of space, you take the memory card out and put another one in.
35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm
Please remember to give me a satisfactory rating in your survey they send you.

Thank you for coming to the apple store. have a nice day.
Lol. The dude didn’t say that. But then he wasn’t a genius either by my assessment.
35mmpaul wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:42 pm
ive never seen more temper tantrums from grown adults whom were told the only way to fix their issue is to erase and set the phone up as new.
Lol. But them pictures and I didn’t have a back up and blah. Wonder what will happen if there is an event where Facebook and the like go down.

Irishman12 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:52 pm
Wow, sorry to hear about the troubles. I've had the iPhone X since it dropped and haven't had any issues. Battery is still at 91% health. I too have had iPhones since the 3G and love them. Haven't had many issues and if I did, I usually blame it on the carrier (AT&T) as opposed to the phone itself. But the problems you have are definitely the iPhone and not the carrier.
Just looked at the battery health and it is at 87% after 1.5 years.

I stopped loving them right about when I got the 7S Plus. I actually blamed it on the provider as well, but I after I made the previous post I scrolled up the page and saw jj’s post in regards to no service issue just a few above mine. Even though in the link he provided Canada isn’t on the list of countries where the phones were sold, I suspect it is the same issue. The battery “dying” in the cold isn’t something specific to my device either. That’s just the way fudge works. Once the device warms up to “operating temperature”, the battery comes back to the level where it was or there about. One of the reasons I went with the X is because I was told it is no longer an issue and this is true. It may seem a little crazy (what else is new though), but after setting it up, I took the X, my iPad, and 3 other iPhones, including my wife’s battery replacement phone, outside and left them there for a few minutes. It was below -20 Celsius. The good old now music player 3G went first, which was expected as it is over a decade old now. At least it shot a warning to the screen, something like “too hot” or “overheated”, lol. That was just after a few minutes of fresh air. The iPad and the other 2 iPhones died shortly after, no warnings. The X, however, kept working just fine after 20 minutes. That’s why it stayed with me; otherwise, I would send it back where it came from and buy something else. And, like I already mentioned, I was really happy with it until two weeks ago.

I can’t believe the 3G is still alive and well though. I was actually forced to use it as a phone for a couple of days a year and a half ago. It was as slow as it gets, but it works. Using the browser is a huge pain in the ass, but the calling and text messaging worked just fine.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:31 am

I've been considering an iPhone solely for their privacy considerations when it comes to apps and phone access.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

My first smartphone was a Droid 2, and after that, I switched to an iPhone and never looked back. Sucks to hear so many issues with the phones, I've personally never had any. In fact my dad still uses my old iPhone 6 (however the battery is shot).

My problems have always stemmed from iMac hard drives failing, which luckily I've only had happen twice and the second time I was prepared. that being said I'll probably be upgrading my XS to a 12 soon here. Also a massive fan of my iPad Pro for drawing!
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:12 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:
My first smartphone was a Droid 2, and after that, I switched to an iPhone and never looked back. Sucks to hear so many issues with the phones, I've personally never had any. In fact my dad still uses my old iPhone 6 (however the battery is shot).

My problems have always stemmed from iMac hard drives failing, which luckily I've only had happen twice and the second time I was prepared. that being said I'll probably be upgrading my XS to a 12 soon here. Also a massive fan of my iPad Pro for drawing!
A number of imac's I've worked on, I've just offloaded the OS to an external (With Thunderbolt 3, you can use a NVME to USB C enclosure) Runs just dandy and no worrying about internal failure that you can't get to easily. This is viable with the older USB 3.0 imacs too and have done it with specific Thunderbolt 2 enclosures on even older imacs (2011 models)

Apple still shipping newer units with regular HDD's is hilarious and a bit of a scam at this point.
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:01 pm

bubbie wrote:
They sell you the iCloud by never having to worry about your backup. I lost a few things by doing just that.

I don’t exactly remember how it played out with the battery and why the data wasn’t transferred. I remember that the phone was turning on before being mailed out (there was a reason, but I am really drawing a blank here). They simply sent her a brand new phone.

The dude I talked to about my phone said there is only one place in the world that he knows of where they would be able to pull the data off my phone and it would run me around $30K. Luls. This is another reason I am thinking to get rid of X and get the Samsung. If/when fudge crashes, you just take out the memory card and plug it in another phone. If/when you run out of space, you take the memory card out and put another one in.
icloud is very handy, but can mess up sometimes. i tend to find that most of the time the data it syncs like contacts, calendars, have little to no issues ever.

with backing up phones there is only so much it can prevent. i usually used this analogy:

think of your phone back up like a couch. if your couch gets bed bugs you have to throw out and get a new couch. moving that same couch to a different house is just going to bring the bed bugs with it.

If the system data gets corrupted you have to start over. the phone ios isn't very robust and cant be fixed as easily as desktop operating systems can.

and with data recovery that price seems high, but yeah its very expensive to do that. its not just plugging it into a machine and moving the data when its on internal components. clean rooms and specific equipment is needed to recover data. apple is not responsible for personal data nor is samsung.

even if you do go to samsung and use memory cards you could still run into the same issue. if a memory card fails and you have something important on it, doing data recovery on that memory card will be very pricey.

best advice, import your photos directly to your computer whenever possible. do occasional full back ups of your phone to your computer. and make sure your computer is automatically backing up to an external hard drive.

if you have two of something you really have one of something. and if you have one of something you really have nothing.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

ygolohcysp wrote:
I've been considering an iPhone solely for their privacy considerations when it comes to apps and phone access.
Dis is true. Google knows everything about me.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:08 pm

FrankBooth wrote:
Apple still shipping newer units with regular HDD's is hilarious and a bit of a scam at this point.
not really

laptops, mac minis, and imac pros are SSD.

imacs are the only ones that offer spinning disc drives. which makes sense because more storage space, less money, and less likely to get damaged.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:28 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:08 pm
FrankBooth wrote:
not really

laptops, mac minis, and imac pros are SSD.

imacs are the only ones that offer spinning disc drives. which makes sense because more storage space, less money, and less likely to get damaged.
Cool, don't think I mentioned other product lines (which still charges an arm for a 256GB SSD at the most basic level)

The Fusion drive is an illusion of performance with offloading some functions to a tiny SSD cache. It'd almost be forgiven if you could actually access it to troubleshoot or replace without completely risking your screen or other internal components.

Again, Scam. Same with only putting the RAM upgrade bay on the 27" imacs. It's not a design choice or limitation.
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:34 pm

yeah im sure they could design laptops to have removable ram, but they don't. and haven't for a long time. the prices on their ram upgrades is definitely a scam.

you can still upgrade the ram on the mac mini. its just complicated. i paid someone like. $75 to do it. loving the 64gbs

i tend to find that in selling computers for a few years and just general asking, most people dont fill up their hard drives like i do. especially since music and video has moved to streaming.

people really just had managing files.

their hardware does have limitations but their operating system is still works best for me. if i could create a hackintosh with little headache or maintenance i would.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:00 am

Darkknight37 wrote:
In fact my dad still uses my old iPhone 6 (however the battery is shot).
Lol. My dad uses my 7S Plus that was driving me nuts and is pretty happy with it. When I told him about the X, he asked if I want him to send the 7 back to me. We both laughed.

35mmpaul wrote:
best advice, import your photos directly to your computer whenever possible. do occasional full back ups of your phone to your computer. and make sure your computer is automatically backing up to an external hard drive.

if you have two of something you really have one of something. and if you have one of something you really have nothing.
I am usually pretty good with this stuff myself. For example, I do some work on the desktop and some on the laptop, depending on where I am, etc. Whatever gets done on one, gets transferred to the other via an external hard drive. So there are at least 3 copies of everything work related I can access at any time (used to be any time because it used to be a daily routine; currently, not so much; but the laptop/desktop and the hard drive have it all). This excludes the server at the office that has everything and is backed up as well. In other words, there are 5 backups of my work in case something goes wrong. On top, there are also paper files and notes.

Years ago, I remember the server crashed bigly out of the blue at my other place of employment. What a clusterfuck that was. We paid about $15K for the data to be recovered. It took weeks (and most was never recovered) and we were scrambling to get bits and pieces from every computer in the office and restore files back from working papers and paper tax returns. For me that was a well learned lesson; hence, all the trouble of copying I described above.

With the phone, on the other hand, since I got X, not so much, apparently. Lol.

Codeblue wrote:
ygolohcysp wrote:
Dis is true. Google knows everything about me.
Apple knows everything about me. Google probably too because of the apps (Google Maps, Gmail, YouTube, etc).
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:20 am

bubbie wrote:
The good old now music player 3G went first, which was expected as it is over a decade old now. At least it shot a warning to the screen, something like “too hot” or “overheated”, lol.
I was a little off, lol. This was the screen on 3G after being at below -20C for a few minutes:

Bryman
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 pm

No comments on the Epic/Apple face off? Is this is more of a hardware subforum?
Have ya paid your dues, Jack? Yessir, the check is in the mail.